Gopher Volleyball 2019

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/...-team-usas-world-university-games-roster.aspx

Lauren Barnes, Adanna Rollins and Stephanie Samedy have been named to the United States Collegiate National World University Games roster, announced today by USA Volleyball. The trio are a part of the 12-person roster, which is set to compete this June. With the three on this team, the University of Minnesota has the most collegiate representation, followed by Stanford and Washington with two.

It marks the first time Barnes and Rollins have been placed on a U.S. Collegiate National Team. Samedy was a member of last year's CNT-China Tour roster, and represented the U.S. at the 2016 NORCECA Women's U20 Continental Championship.

The CNT-WUG squad will leave the United States June 30 and to travel to Napoli, Italy, to compete in the World University Games. The volleyball schedule has preliminary round matches from July 4-11, followed by semifinals on July 12 and medal-round matches on July 13. Athletes were selected through the U.S. Women's National Team Open Tryouts held March 1-3 at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo.

Martin, Nielsen, Zeimann, and Rendahl not on the roster. Transferring out.
Rumor that Lauren Barnes may also transfer. That would be bad.

I think Barnes would go to a school where she can be the libero.

Not surprising given current circumstances.

Rendahl and Zeimann were never likely to get much, if any, court time while Martin gradually fell out of the rotation at outside hitter. A little surprised at Nielsen as I figured she would stick around to compete with Miller for the starting setter spot. But since she's going, I'm not surprised that Barnes is considering going as well. She obviously would be the biggest loss of this group, but she came here with Nielsen and maybe wants to finish out her college career playing alongside her.

Not surprising given current circumstances.

Rendahl and Zeimann were never likely to get much, if any, court time while Martin gradually fell out of the rotation at outside hitter. A little surprised at Nielsen as I figured she would stick around to compete with Miller for the starting setter spot. But since she's going, I'm not surprised that Barnes is considering going as well. She obviously would be the biggest loss of this group, but she came here with Nielsen and maybe wants to finish out her college career playing alongside her.

That might be a secondary factor, but would think more importantly she wants to be a Libero.

We should be going after more high-profile, six-rotation OHs anyway.

Called that a bunch of OH would leave. Was pretty obvious. Kids want to play.

People jumped down my throat (moreso on VT than here). Oh well

That might be a secondary factor, but would think more importantly she wants to be a Libero.

We should be going after more high-profile, six-rotation OHs anyway.
You may be correct. I don't have any inside info to go on, just a hunch based on the fact that they played together in high school and at the U.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

The ladies have received a verbal from outside hitter Natalie Glenn. She's a lefty who plays for TAV, the same club that produced Adanna Rollins. She's 2021 recruit and is the daughter of former Ohio State star wideout Terry Glenn. Other than that, I don't know much about her.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Barnes is off the official roster, so she is gone. Crap. Hopefully she does not end up in the B1G. She was one of the best servers we had. I guess I won't have to worry about her biting her tongue off at least. She is a huge loss.

I wonder if Hugh has the power, and if so would he use it, to block a transfer to a Big Ten team?

You're joking. Right? Iowa would find that amusing. Remember Claire Sheehan?

Some conferences don’t allow infra-conference transfers. Just because the Iowa coach signed off on Sheehan, doesn’t mean High should sign off on Barnes or Martin transferring to Iowa.

While JUST SPECULATING, I do not believe all three of these girls..Martin, Barnes and Nielsen will end up at the same college and starting. I can see Martin and Barnes going to Iowa, but not necessarily Nielsen with Orr as their starting setter. The latter would probably end up in the same situation she was in here at Minnesota.

While JUST SPECULATING, I do not believe all three of these girls..Martin, Barnes and Nielsen will end up at the same college and starting. I can see Martin and Barnes going to Iowa, but not necessarily Nielsen with Orr as their starting setter. The latter would probably end up in the same situation she was in here at Minnesota.

I don’t know if Barnes is looking at Iowa, and I don’t know if Barnes and Nielsen want to be a package deal.

On VT it was proposed that Martin might transfer to Iowa because she could start there and because she played with Orr for club.

Barnes is good enough to go almost anywhere and probably start. Rutgers...............they could all start.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A 2020 outside hitter commit.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A 2020 outside hitter commit.

Apparently she's a flipped recruit from Texas A&M. Rated as a top-50 recruit in the nation for 2020 and has an extremely high and powerful swing. Lots of speculation that with Landfair, Shaffmaster, Appiani and now Wenaas now committed, the Gophers have the No. 1 class for 2020. I'll let those more-in-the-know decide that one for themselves, but it seems Hugh is about to ink a monstrous class for next year.

Last edited:

Barnes is going to Madison. God I hope we keep up the win streak against them.

Non-volleyball note:

Calvin Booth, father of 2022 recruit Carter Booth, is one of the names brought up for Timberwolves President of Basketball Operations. At least his name came up as a candidate on KFAN yesterday.

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/4/17/volleyball-gophers-ready-to-host-spring-set.aspx

Spring Set at Williams Arena
The University of Minnesota will hold its annual Spring Set, April 27 against the North Dakota State Bison. Due to construction in Maturi Pavilion, this year's Spring Set will be held in Williams Arena. Doors open at 2 p.m., warm ups begin at 2:30 p.m., while the scrimmage is scheduled for 3 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.

Fans are encouraged to enter off of University Ave as seating is available in Williams Arena section 105, 106 and 107. Concessions will also be available near the University Ave entrance. Autographs from student-athletes will also be made available after the scrimmage.

Spring Set Timeline
11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. - Morning Drills
2 p.m. - Doors Open
2:30 p.m. - Warm Ups
3 p.m. -Scrimmage vs. North Dakota State (four sets to 25 points)
Autographs after the scrimmage

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/coll...cle_62fbee94-6fdd-5983-9431-5199619010c2.html

More on Lauren Barnes' transfer to the Badgers:

But when Lauren Barnes’ name showed up in the NCAA transfer portal, Sheffield was intrigued.

“She’s really an elite server. We had her as one of the top five servers in the Big Ten in just about every measurable way. And the two years that we’ve played against her there have not have been a whole lot of balls that we’ve served in her direction.”

The Badgers won’t have to worry about any of that going forward, as Barnes decided last week that she was going to transfer to UW for her final two years. She plans to appeal to the Big Ten for a waiver so that she will be eligible to play this fall.

Precedent would seem to be in her favor as the conference has granted immediate eligibility for the last two intra-conference volleyball transfers — Clark from Michigan to UW two years ago and Claire Sheehan from Iowa to Minnesota last year.

She said she had been thinking about transferring for a while but got serious about it a month ago. Contrary to common Minnesota speculation, her departure was not related to losing out to freshman CC McGraw for the libero spot last season.

“I would not say that is the reason I left at all,” Barnes said. “I was looking for somewhere to go and compete and so I’m excited for my future. I’m going to leave what’s in the past in the past and I’m ready to see my new beginning.”

Top Bottom