Gopher Volleyball 2019

Thanks. Were 2018 and 19 really that "bad", not that being top 25 is really bad.

I thought Rollins was a top player (from a top club), and this year we got some highly rated middles? Maybe they're not as good as I was thinking.

This year is about not having SSS setting for the team. Totally different vibe on the court.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This year is about not having SSS setting for the team. Totally different vibe on the court.

It's probably hard for Miller coming in after SSS, but she must've been prepared for that situation and given advice how to handle it. And who knows, maybe she'll end up doing the job. After all, it was thought that Gopher softball was done for in 2019 when Lindaman transferred out, and, lo and behold, they made the CWS!

Miller was named Big Ten setter of the week this week. Last year, for the entire year, the Gophers had 13.7 assists per set. So far this year, they have 15.1 assists per set.

Thanks. Were 2018 and 19 really that "bad", not that being top 25 is really bad.

I thought Rollins was a top player (from a top club), and this year we got some highly rated middles? Maybe they're not as good as I was thinking.
Rollins ended up being ranked a little lower than a lot of people thought (if I'm remembering correctly, somewhere in the 30s) while McGraw was a top-10 or top-20, so that brought the ranking down for 2018.

Samedy's class also had Martin, Kleinman, Barnes and Nielsen in it, so they didn't have a ton of spots open heading into 2018 (Kleinman was the only one to leave after that first year).

And with the outsides loaded down for this year, 2019 was more about plugging specific areas (Morgan is graduating this year, therefore the recruitment of Husemann and Rubright).

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Rollins ended up being ranked a little lower than a lot of people thought (if I'm remembering correctly, somewhere in the 30s) while McGraw was a top-10 or top-20, so that brought the ranking down for 2018.

Samedy's class also had Martin, Kleinman, Barnes and Nielsen in it, so they didn't have a ton of spots open heading into 2018 (Kleinman was the only one to leave after that first year).

And with the outsides loaded down for this year, 2019 was more about plugging specific areas (Morgan is graduating this year, therefore the recruitment of Husemann and Rubright).

Volleyballmag.com had Rollins as #8 and McGraw as #10. (https://volleyballmag.com/fab-50-2018/)

Thanks again. Do you recall what our 2019 class players were ranked? Was thinking the middles were highly ranked?

OK just looked at their gophersports.com bio's. Rubright was a 1st team UA AA, and prepvball #12 in nation. Husemann was an HM UA AA, no pvball ranking shown.

Yet our prepvball 2019 class ranking is only top 25? Must be some great classes out there.

I heard something that I wonder if anyone on here knows anything about. It has to do with recruiting and no longer making offers to athletes below a certain age/grade level. Specifically, no making offers to eighth graders.

Is there a new, and higher, minimum grade level for making offers to athletes? If so, is it sport specific or NCAA wide?

What did vballmag rank our class in 2018?

Volleyballmag.com didn't have the Gophers 2018 recruiting class in the top ten. Along with four others, it gave us "honorable mention" in the next five (https://volleyballmag.com/ncaa-recruiting-091018/). It ranked our 2017 class #4, behind Texas, Wisconsin, and UCLA. And for 2019, it had us outside the top ten, in honorable mention again, this time grouped with seven others (https://volleyballmag.com/2019-ncaa-womens-recruiting-rankings/). When I say grouped with four (2018) and seven (2019) others, those teams are not appearing in alphabetical order. So maybe it's safe to assume that in 2018, volleyballmag.com had the Gophers #13, and in 2019, it had the Gophers #16.

Last edited:

I heard something that I wonder if anyone on here knows anything about. It has to do with recruiting and no longer making offers to athletes below a certain age/grade level. Specifically, no making offers to eighth graders.

Is there a new, and higher, minimum grade level for making offers to athletes? If so, is it sport specific or NCAA wide?

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/new-ncaa-division-1-recruiting-rules
Are early offers and commitments still allowed?

Nope. While the NCAA didn’t specifically legislate any rules around early offers or commitments, the new DI recruiting rules prohibit any recruiting interaction until June 15 after sophomore year. In the past, college coaches could make early offers to athletes on official/unofficial visits, through a high school/club coach or during a camp or tournament. But the new rules around coach communication, campus visits and off-campus contact fill in the loopholes to curb early commitments.

Exceptions: Currently, men’s ice hockey is the only NCAA sport with a legislated verbal offer rule (August 1 before junior year). Lacrosse and softball don’t allow any recruiting interaction until September 1 of junior year, while football, baseball and basketball still allow incoming calls from athletes anytime. In addition, football and women’s basketball still allow unofficial visits anytime.

Thanks again. Do you recall what our 2019 class players were ranked? Was thinking the middles were highly ranked?

OK just looked at their gophersports.com bio's. Rubright was a 1st team UA AA, and prepvball #12 in nation. Husemann was an HM UA AA, no pvball ranking shown.

Yet our prepvball 2019 class ranking is only top 25? Must be some great classes out there.
Huseman was in the top 100 (maybe 93 or 94?). Rubright was #12.

But prep volleyball had her the 30s and that ranking affected their class ranking...

Sure. Just trying to point out that there's some variation in these different ranking sites. And while Rollins was #8 individually on one site and in the 30s on another site, both of them had the Gophers' recruits #16 as a class.

Sure. Just trying to point out that there's some variation in these different ranking sites. And while Rollins was #8 individually on one site and in the 30s on another site, both of them had the Gophers' recruits #16 as a class.
I understand and appreciate the comment. Naturally, everybody has different rankings and opinions when it comes to individual recruits. I found it strange that Rollins' ranking showed that much fluctuation however. Most everyone seemed surprised she was ranked that low by prepvolleyball when other sites/publications almost all had her in the top 5-15.

I understand and appreciate the comment. Naturally, everybody has different rankings and opinions when it comes to individual recruits. I found it strange that Rollins' ranking showed that much fluctuation however. Most everyone seemed surprised she was ranked that low by prepvolleyball when other sites/publications almost all had her in the top 5-15.

I agree. It's also worth noting that Rollins did play in the Under Armour All-Americans match in 2017, so in their (American Volleyball Coaches Association) eyes, she was in the top 24 that year.

http://www.startribune.com/ucla-tra...ng-gophers-volleyball-setting-void/560163412/

StarTrib; Kylie Miller:

At UCLA, Miller had a career-high 693 assists (9.62 per set) as a junior in the rugged Pac-12. Her early arrival at the U gave her nearly eight months to forge bonds with her new teammates.

She said it was "huge" to have so much time to learn the Gophers' system and how to set for each hitter. Middle blocker Taylor Morgan, Miller's roommate, found it a relatively smooth transition.

"Over the summer, we just connected," Morgan said. "It's not like anything magical happened. We just got on the court and played, and it was like, 'Wow. OK. She fits really well with us.'

"Obviously, there are things we do that are different than what she's used to. So we're still learning and connecting. But overall, it came down to, we trust her. And she trusts us."

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/...0-ducks-to-open-big-ten-pac-12-challenge.aspx

Nice sweep by Minnesota tonight in the B1G 10/PAC 10 challenge. I had to catch it on replay. Here's Gopher Sports recap. Stanford and PSU are in the third set after splitting the first two.

The No. 8 University of Minnesota volleyball team swept No. 10 Oregon, 25-23, 25-18, 25-19, to kick off the Big Ten/Pac 12 Challenge, tonight in University Park, Pa. With the win, the Golden Gophers improve to 3-2 overall this season, as Oregon drops to 2-2.

Stephanie Samedy and Alexis Hart paced the Gophers offensively tonight. Samedy earned her third fourth double-double of the season when she had 14 kills and 11 digs in a team-best 37 attempts. Hart hit .346 when she had 12 kills in 26 attempts and just three errors. Regan Pittman added seven kills (hit .400) and added a team-best seven blocks. Adanna Rollins had six kills, 12 digs and three blocks. Kylie Miller added 38 assists, an ace and a block, while CC McGraw posted 10 digs.

As a team, Minnesota hit .233 to Oregon's .117. The Gophers also outblocked the Ducks, 9-5, and held a 55-45 dig advantage.

Samedy sneaks around the right side.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wow. Congratulations to the lady Gophers volleyball on taking down #1 Stanford tonight.

Wow. Congratulations to the lady Gophers volleyball on taking down #1 Stanford tonight.

The Gophers had 19 kills and just 2 hitting errors, and I think 0 or 1 reception errors, in the first set They've cut way down on their receiving errors, though in certain stretches the initial pass was weak, and that won't show up in the stats. Their blocking was similarly improved. Rollins was having some difficulty hitting early in the match, but came through with some key kills in the fourth set. The Gophs had some trouble closing out the first two sets -- from leading 24-20 in the first and 21-17 in the second -- but they made a nice comeback themselves in the second half of the third set (before Stanford closed it out), and came out on fire at the beginning of the fourth. When, on a neutral court, you beat the #1 team in the country, who was on a 37-0 win streak over two years, what's not to like?! I agree - WOW!

Just finished watching the replay. Samedy was terrific and terrifying. Pittman and McGraw provided the backbone. A solid team effort.

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/9/14/volleyball-gophers-earn-3-1-win-over-no-1-stanford.aspx

Stephanie Samedy had a match-best 21 kills in 59 attempts, followed by Alexis Hart with 15 kills and Regan Pittman with 12. Samedy completed the double-double with 11 digs. She also added six blocks. Pittman also hit a .417 in the match and collected seven blocks. CC McGraw held a team-best 20 digs, while Adanna Rollins had 15. Kylie Miller also gained a double-double when she had 50 assists and 17 digs. She also got four blocks.

Maybe this is unfair, but looking at the comments on this forum as a whole, I think there's an annual progression in what people, myself included, say about the Gophers volleyball team. Early on, we notice what we think may be fatal weaknesses -- "How are we going to replace that player?" "Their blocking/hitting/digging is going to prevent them from contending" -- and then they do something like winning three out of four matches against the likes of Texas, Florida, Oregon, and Stanford, losing only one set in the three victories. McCutcheon and his staff are simply phenomenal in correcting and/or compensating for weaknesses, and each season, the team develops just fine. Thank you, players, and thank you, coaches, for the best sporting event in the Twin Cities, bar none, year after year. We fans are so lucky.

Last edited:

This program has been one of our consistently high performing teams. They do however also seem to fade at tournament time. They have had the talent to be in the final four regularly but don't make it happen. I hope this is their year !

This program has been one of our consistently high performing teams. They do however also seem to fade at tournament time. They have had the talent to be in the final four regularly but don't make it happen. I hope this is their year !

Strictly speaking, everybody fades at tournament time every year, except for one team. What Gopher fans really want is an NCAA National Championship. The critiques from fans aren't likely to cease until that ultimate title happens. As a senior, Hannah Tapp said, "I came here to win a national championship." Close 5 or 6 times, but hasn't happened yet. Maybe when we least expect it.

Haven't had the chance to watch any of the recent wins (Florida, Oregon or Stanford), so I'm a little hesitant to comment. But it seems the team is figuring some things out and doing so extremely quickly. Bodes well for the rest of the regular season. :eek:

Strictly speaking, everybody fades at tournament time every year, except for one team. What Gopher fans really want is an NCAA National Championship. The critiques from fans aren't likely to cease until that ultimate title happens. As a senior, Hannah Tapp said, "I came here to win a national championship." Close 5 or 6 times, but hasn't happened yet. Maybe when we least expect it.

The National Championship is right. UMN is hungry for any sport to bring one home. It would be sheer ecstasy for that to be done by the Volleyball team.

The National Championship is right. UMN is hungry for any sport to bring one home. It would be sheer ecstasy for that to be done by the Volleyball team.

Well, the women's hockey team did win national championships in 2012, 2013, 2015, and 2016.

Top Bottom