Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/2...-in-japan.aspx

The University of Minnesota volleyball has been invited to compete in Okayama, Japan, from March 17-24, 2019. This is the second time the Golden Gopher volleyball program has taken its international trip to Japan in the past five years, and the first in Okayama.

The Gophers will train and compete against the All-Japan University Team, which will represent their country in this year's World University Games. The two teams will be hosted by International Pacific University (IPU).

"We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to return to Japan to compete," head coach Hugh McCutcheon said. "The All-Japan University team is comprised of the best University aged players from their country and will provide great competition for us. Their skill, speed, systems and power will provide our athletes a unique opportunity to learn. We are grateful for the help and hospitality of the JVA, IPU and the city of Okayama."

The Gophers will arrive in Okayama on March 17 and train and condition at the IPU facilities. With multiple gyms, a weight training center, cafeteria and dining halls, the Gophers will utilize IPU's athletic facilities throughout the week. Founded in 2007, IPU is a private coed higher education institution that is accredited by Japan's ministry of education, culture, sports, science and technology.

What an awesome treat and experience!

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/2...px?path=wvball

Gopher Volleyball will send the largest collegiate contingent to the U.S. Women's National Team Open Tryout, this weekend at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

The Minnesota group includes 13 of 218 student-athletes from across the nation vying for spots on various USA Volleyball collegiate teams. In all, 87 colleges will be represented as the tryouts include 56 outside hitters, 46 liberos, 44 setters, 42 middles and 30 opposites.

The tryout will involve four sessions with three waves per session. Friday's first session goes from 2-8 p.m. MT, while Saturday's sessions are at 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. The final session on Sunday begins at 7:30 a.m. MT with tournament style play, along with 16-18 athletes selected by the U.S. Women's National Team staff to participate in a "USA" training session. The Sunday session wraps up at 10:30 a.m. MT.

Gophers at USA Tryouts
    Liberos

Lauren Barnes
    Lauren Litzau
    CC McGraw

Middles
    Taylor Morgan
    Regan Pittman

Opposites
    Stephanie Samedy

Outside Hitters
    Alexis Hart
    Jasmyn Martin
    Adanna Rollins
    Claire Sheehan

Setters
    Bayley McMenimen
    Kylie Miller
    Sara Nielsen

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    https://gophersports.com/news/2019/2...px?path=wvball

Gopher Volleyball will send the largest collegiate contingent to the U.S. Women's National Team Open Tryout, this weekend at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

The Minnesota group includes 13 of 218 student-athletes from across the nation vying for spots on various USA Volleyball collegiate teams. In all, 87 colleges will be represented as the tryouts include 56 outside hitters, 46 liberos, 44 setters, 42 middles and 30 opposites.

The tryout will involve four sessions with three waves per session. Friday's first session goes from 2-8 p.m. MT, while Saturday's sessions are at 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. The final session on Sunday begins at 7:30 a.m. MT with tournament style play, along with 16-18 athletes selected by the U.S. Women's National Team staff to participate in a "USA" training session. The Sunday session wraps up at 10:30 a.m. MT.

Gophers at USA Tryouts
    Liberos

Lauren Barnes
    Lauren Litzau
    CC McGraw

Middles
    Taylor Morgan
    Regan Pittman

Opposites
    Stephanie Samedy

Outside Hitters
    Alexis Hart
    Jasmyn Martin
    Adanna Rollins
    Claire Sheehan

Setters
    Bayley McMenimen
    Kylie Miller
    Sara Nielsen
    No SSS. That's odd.

Quote Originally Posted by beavergopher View Post
    No SSS. That's odd.
    She graduated and the tryouts are for USA Collegiate teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    She graduated and the tryouts are for USA Collegiate teams.
    Ok. Not odd at all.

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/3...es-roster.aspx

Lauren Barnes, Adanna Rollins and Stephanie Samedy have been named to the United States Collegiate National World University Games roster, announced today by USA Volleyball. The trio are a part of the 12-person roster, which is set to compete this June. With the three on this team, the University of Minnesota has the most collegiate representation, followed by Stanford and Washington with two.

It marks the first time Barnes and Rollins have been placed on a U.S. Collegiate National Team. Samedy was a member of last year's CNT-China Tour roster, and represented the U.S. at the 2016 NORCECA Women's U20 Continental Championship.

The CNT-WUG squad will leave the United States June 30 and to travel to Napoli, Italy, to compete in the World University Games. The volleyball schedule has preliminary round matches from July 4-11, followed by semifinals on July 12 and medal-round matches on July 13. Athletes were selected through the U.S. Women's National Team Open Tryouts held March 1-3 at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo.

Martin, Nielsen, Zeimann, and Rendahl not on the roster. Transferring out.
    Rumor that Lauren Barnes may also transfer. That would be bad.

I think Barnes would go to a school where she can be the libero.
    Follow me on twitter: @skiumahgopher

Not surprising given current circumstances.

Rendahl and Zeimann were never likely to get much, if any, court time while Martin gradually fell out of the rotation at outside hitter. A little surprised at Nielsen as I figured she would stick around to compete with Miller for the starting setter spot. But since she's going, I'm not surprised that Barnes is considering going as well. She obviously would be the biggest loss of this group, but she came here with Nielsen and maybe wants to finish out her college career playing alongside her.

Quote Originally Posted by MRJ View Post
    Not surprising given current circumstances.

Rendahl and Zeimann were never likely to get much, if any, court time while Martin gradually fell out of the rotation at outside hitter. A little surprised at Nielsen as I figured she would stick around to compete with Miller for the starting setter spot. But since she's going, I'm not surprised that Barnes is considering going as well. She obviously would be the biggest loss of this group, but she came here with Nielsen and maybe wants to finish out her college career playing alongside her.
    That might be a secondary factor, but would think more importantly she wants to be a Libero.

We should be going after more high-profile, six-rotation OHs anyway.

Called that a bunch of OH would leave. Was pretty obvious. Kids want to play.

People jumped down my throat (moreso on VT than here). Oh well

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    That might be a secondary factor, but would think more importantly she wants to be a Libero.

We should be going after more high-profile, six-rotation OHs anyway.
    You may be correct. I don't have any inside info to go on, just a hunch based on the fact that they played together in high school and at the U.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

The ladies have received a verbal from outside hitter Natalie Glenn. She's a lefty who plays for TAV, the same club that produced Adanna Rollins. She's 2021 recruit and is the daughter of former Ohio State star wideout Terry Glenn. Other than that, I don't know much about her.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Barnes is off the official roster, so she is gone. Crap. Hopefully she does not end up in the B1G. She was one of the best servers we had. I guess I won't have to worry about her biting her tongue off at least. She is a huge loss.