Gopher Volleyball 2019

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/8/19/volleyball-gophers-set-to-host-open-scrimmage-saturday.aspx

Intra-squad scrimmage this Saturday the 24th:

The University of Minnesota volleyball program will host an intrasquad scrimmage on Saturday, August 24 at 3:30 p.m. Admission is free and open to the public. Doors open at 2:30 p.m., with warmups beginning approximately at 2:45 p.m.

Fans are encouraged to enter Maturi Pavilion through the west lobby or Daily Entrance (University Ave) and sit on the south side of the Pavilion. Parking is available in the University Ave Ramp, 4th Street Ramp, Lot 37, and the Maroon Lot. Please note that many of these lots may have limited space due to Minnesota State Fair visitors. Concessions will be open on the south concourse (University Ave).

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...l-inside-remodeled-maturi-pavilion/554882402/
Alexis Hart doesn't need a thermometer to tell the difference. The Gophers senior can measure the temperature change at Maturi Pavilion just by the amount of laundry she generates during volleyball practice.

"I sweat a lot, the most on the team," Hart said after Monday's workout. "I'm only going through two shirts now instead of four. It's a lot nicer."

The competition in practice is as hot as ever, as the third-ranked Gophers prepare for the Aug. 30 season opener at North Carolina. But the addition of air conditioning to the Pav — part of a $5.1 million package of improvements — has cooled off a building that used to feel like a blast furnace in summer and early fall. With their longtime home finally brought into the era of modern climate control, the Gophers have been able to practice with more energy and less misery.
Hart called the air conditioning "a blessing," while teammate Stephanie Samedy said it has helped the Gophers focus solely on their work and not on their discomfort.

"You come in here and you have a sweater on, and you're kind of actually cold for once," she said. "It's not, you walk out and you start sweating.

"Sometimes, I would notice I would feel more fatigued, just because of the extra heat and the energy I'm expending. But now, it's kind of like volleyball, and just that. You don't have to worry about anything else."

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/8/21/volleyball-gophers-add-dolonga-to-2019-roster.aspx

Confirming what we assumed:

University of Minnesota volleyball head coach Hugh McCutcheon has announced the addition of Tamara Dolonga (Varazdin, Croatia) to the 2019 roster. She is set to compete this fall with the team.

"We're excited to add Tamara to the Gopher Volleyball program," McCutcheon said. "She's a great addition to our program."

Dolonga, a 5-foot, 8-inch setter played for Kitro Varazdin Club Team in the Croatian Volleyball National 1B League Club Team. With Kitro, Dolonga helped her team win gold at the international Sarajevo tournament in 2017 and 2018, Ljublijana in 2018, and Baranja in 2016. She was also named the tournament's better setter at all three events and was also named the Most Valuable Player at the 2018 Sarajevo tournament.

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/8/22/volleyball-gopher-spotlight-ellie-husemann.aspx

Spotlight on Ellie Husemann:
Ellie Husemann has grown up watching Gopher volleyball. Since she's been young, looking up to Tori Dixon, Husemann is looking to make her own path with the Gophers. The Eagan, Minn., native played for Eagan High School and Northern Lights. She helped the Wildcats to two state championships and two state runner-up titles. Named to the Minneapolis Star Tribune all-metro first team in 2018, she was also a Minnesota Gatorade Player of the Year candidate. Husemann finished her career as Eagan's all-time block leader with 379 career blocks. She also helped Northern Lights to a 2017 USA 17-Open national champion and a 2015 runner-up accolades. Get to know one of our newest Gophers in this recent spotlight.

What's it been like working with the Gopher coaching staff?
EH: They've been awesome. Coming in, we are kind of relearning volleyball. What you learned all growing up, it's a lot different here. The coaches are teaching it from a technique standpoint. They have been really nice in teaching it to you and holding you accountable, but also being there to support you along the way. All and all, it's been really good. They push you to be the best and it's good to have that.

What has been some of the best advice you've gotten from your teammates so far?
EH: The big thing that Regan (Pittman) told me is to have self-confidence. She always comes over and pushes up my shoulders and tells me to stand up straight and stand tall. Have that confidence and tell yourself "you've got this" for every single ball. I think just knowing that they have my back, but also have my own back and knowing that I can do this has been really helpful. I always remind myself of that especially when it gets tough in practice. Nothing personal, it's all good information and everyone is here to help you.

I’m excited for this year. Florida early will be a fun match. And I was told The Pav will be kept around 72 degrees!

I made it over to the scrimmage today; stayed around for three sets.

Set 1 generally featured a lineup with Samedy, McGraw, Miller, Pittman, Rollins and Miyabe on one team (the winning side in a close set FWIW). Morgan, Hart and McMenimen (setting) played for the opposing team. Miyabe played all the rotations, made some fine digs and hit well from both outside and opposite. Miyabe also made some strikes from the back row (she got quite the workout). She also looks to be a serviceable server. Samedy also took some swings from the outside late in set one and also in set three.

Hugh switched player around for sets two and three. Kelly is obviously the primary setter-can't wait to watch her when the season starts. McMenimen did the majority of the setting for the other side with Dolonga subbing in occasionally to serve and play a few rotations. Dolonga has a funny prancing step just before she serves.

Kelly set Rollins out of the back row a few times; but the connections weren't quite there. So far so good. Kelly connected well with the hitters. Whether the connection's quick enough to beat opposing blockers remains to be seen; but the hitters were getting good power swings today.

I made it over to the scrimmage today; stayed around for three sets.

Set 1 generally featured a lineup with Samedy, McGraw, Miller, Pittman, Rollins and Miyabe on one team (the winning side in a close set FWIW). Morgan, Hart and McMenimen (setting) played for the opposing team. Miyabe played all the rotations, made some fine digs and hit well from both outside and opposite. Miyabe also made some strikes from the back row (she got quite the workout). She also looks to be a serviceable server. Samedy also took some swings from the outside late in set one and also in set three.

Hugh switched player around for sets two and three. Kelly is obviously the primary setter-can't wait to watch her when the season starts. McMenimen did the majority of the setting for the other side with Dolonga subbing in occasionally to serve and play a few rotations. Dolonga has a funny prancing step just before she serves.

Kelly set Rollins out of the back row a few times; but the connections weren't quite there. So far so good. Kelly connected well with the hitters. Whether the connection's quick enough to beat opposing blockers remains to be seen; but the hitters were getting good power swings today.

A few more observations from someone who knows little about volleyball:

Claire Sheehan had a significant number of kills and seemed much improved. Frosh Shea Rubright and Ellie Husemann were involved in several blocks. I know less than nothing about defense, so I can't comment on the play of Frosh Rachel Kilkelly. Airi Miyabe was impressive, and Kylie Miller set well, with a couple of nice dumps too. I thought both sides covered dinks very well. One thing that did give me pause was the overall receiving. While not a whole lot of outright errors were made, there seemed to be quite a bit of out-of-system play by the receiving teams.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://bigten.org/news/2019/8/26/w...elected-as-preseason-volleyball-favorite.aspx

Coaches B1G pre-season ranking:

2019 BIG TEN PRESEASON POLL
1. Wisconsin
2. Nebraska
3. Minnesota
4. Penn State
5. Illinois
6. Purdue
7. Michigan
8. Ohio State
9. Michigan State
10. Maryland
11. Indiana
12. Northwestern
13. Iowa
14. Rutgers

Wisconsin was chosen as the conference favorite for the 2019 volleyball season, voted on by the Big Ten coaches and announced on Monday. The Badgers begin their 2019 campaign ranked No. 5 by the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA). It is the fifth straight season the Badgers will open the year ranked among the top 10 teams in the country.

Nebraska, ranked second nationally, was also selected No. 2 in the preseason poll. Defending 2018 Big Ten Champion Minnesota was tabbed third. Penn State was voted to finish fourth, while Illinois rounded out the top five of the preseason poll.

2019 PRESEASON ALL-BIG TEN VOLLEYBALL TEAM
JACQUELINE QUADE, SR., OH, ILLINOIS
Erika Pritchard, Jr., OH, Maryland
Alexis Hart, Sr., OH, Minnesota
Taylor Morgan, Sr., MB, Minnesota
Stephanie Samedy, Jr., OPP, Minnesota

Nicklin Hames, So., S, Nebraska
Lauren Stivrins, Jr., MB, Nebraska
Lexi Sun, Jr., OH, Nebraska
Kaitlyn Hord, So., MB, Penn State
Jonni Parker, So., RS, Penn State
KENDALL WHITE, Sr., DS, PENN STATE
Blake Mohler, Sr., MB, Purdue
Sydney Hilley, Jr., S, Wisconsin
DANA RETTKE, Jr., MB, WISCONSIN

*Unanimous selections in caps

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/8/27/volleyball-gopher-spotlight-tamara-dolonga.aspx

Spotlight on Tamara Dolonga:
You said that Daly Santana has inspired you and you actually got a chance to meet her. Talk about that and why she was an inspiration?

TD: It was during the Grand Prix and it was played in Croatia in my hometown. I was 17 and she came to the tournament and it was four teams (Argentina, Puerto Rico, Croatia and Bulgaria). I especially tried to spend more time with Daly than with anyone else because I watched some videos of her playing here and I knew who she was and tried to spend as much time as I can with her. It was really amazing and she's one of the reasons I'm here for sure. She really inspired me to come here and to keep trying to come here and reach my dreams. She had taught me how to approach people and how to respect everyone and I think she's one of the kindest persons I have ever met.

So was it Daly that inspired you to come to Minnesota, or did you like Minnesota and then liked Daly because it was her alma mater?

TD: It first was Minnesota and then with Daly, but in my process of falling in love with the University of Minnesota, she was part of it. She was playing while I was watching so it was both. It wasn't like just her that made me love it, but she was part of it for sure.

How has working with the Minnesota coaches been so far?

TD: It's been really different. It was different because they're not my dad and I was coached by him for seven-eight years. In one part it was, for me, easier to listen to them and to be coachable because I don't have some personal emotions for them. I just get a feedback from them as advice to how to improve something. On the other hand, it's really hard because they ask me to do some things differently than I'm used to doing it. This process has been tough in the beginning because I'm used to doing things one way and they ask me to do the other. I really need to focus and think a lot to like make changes. They have patience and understand that I have been doing something my whole life and half of my life so they keep telling me 'Try to do it, try to do it. They also tell me that I need to be patient as well and understand that it's a process and do all that you can do today and that's it. They constantly remind me that if I do it once that doesn't mean that next time I don't have to think about it and try to do it. They really help.

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/...national-television-11-times-this-season.aspx

Gophers on National TV:
Minnesota's first televised match will be against Texas on Sept. 4 and will be on FS1. The Gophers will also be televised nine times on Big Ten Network this season: Minnesota will be on BTN against Purdue (Sept. 28), at Iowa (Oct. 2), at Illinois (Oct. 9), at Wisconsin (Oct. 13), at Michigan (Oct. 25), at Michigan State (Oct. 27), vs. Wisconsin (Nov. 14), vs. Nebraska (Nov. 22) and at Penn State (Nov. 30). The Gopher match at Purdue (Nov. 3) will also be televised on ESPN2.

The rest of the Gopher home schedule will be streamed on BTN +. The Gophers will be streamed on ACC Network Extra this weekend in Chapel Hill, N.C. Minnesota's road tournament at Penn State (Big Ten/Pac 12 Challenge) will also be streamed.

I follow Gopher VB closely and have season tickets, but I'm a novice at the sport. I wonder: Are the 2019 Gophers as good as their pre-season NCAA ranking at #3? Or are they potentially being overrated? It would be interesting to hear what people who know the sport feel. Anyone opinions.....?

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...in-entering-friday-s-season-opener/558721492/
Ready, set, go

The Gophers have seven newcomers on their roster, with at least one — setter Kylie Miller — likely to have a major role from the start. Miller, a transfer from UCLA, is expected to take over for Samantha Seliger-Swenson, who completed her eligibility last year as one of the best setters in Gophers history. Miller recorded 693 assists in 72 sets for the Bruins last season.

The Gophers' top five hitters in 2018 — Stephanie Samedy (3.49 kills per set), Alexis Hart (3.02), Adanna Rollins (2.59), Regan Pittman (2.58) and Taylor Morgan (2.42) — all return, and coach Hugh McCutcheon said they are making adjustments as the Gophers prepare to move on from the Seliger-Swenson era.

"Our hitters are doing much better at getting to the ball and being able to hit the ball with range," McCutcheon said. "They don't need a perfect set to be a good hitter. There's a cumulative compensation across the board."

Per the only kind of helpful person, season tickets were delayed due to printing and "should arrive before the first game" which is not super inspiring.

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/8/30/volleyball-gophers-open-2019-with-a-win.aspx
Minnesota was led by Stephanie Samedy, who had 15 kills and 34 attempts (hit .294). She added the double-double when she had a team-best 14 digs. Taylor Morgan had 12 kills in 17 attempts and did not commit an error as she hit .706. Alexis Hart added nine kills in 18 attempts and hit .389. Regan Pittman had seven kills and established a team-best six blocks. CC McGraw posted 10 digs in the win, while Kylie Miller tallied 41 assists.

As a team, the Golden Gophers hit .330 in the match to UNC's .125. Minnesota held the advantage in kills, 48 to 35, including .519 in the opening set. The Gophers also held a 47-35 advantage in digs as both teams tied the match with seven blocks.

Noteables:
-Rachel Kilkelly and Bayley McMenimen made their collegiate debut tonight as Kylie Miller and Airi Miyabe made their Minnesota debut. Miller transferred from UCLA in January 2019, while Miyabe was at Southern Idaho her first two years.
- Kilkelly also established a team-best two aces in the win.
- Morgan was three kills shy tonight of her career-high 15 she set against Wisconsin in 2018.
- Tonight marked Samedy's 28th career double-double

Lauren Barnes where are you??? The defense today has not been good and Martin is killing her former team.

Four service errors in the first half of game 3. So far, 8 service errors, 0 aces. Ouch!

Florida State wins three straight -- 17, 24, 21. Jasmyn Martin hits .500 on 16 kills and 2 errors.

Top Bottom