Gopher Volleyball 2019

I guess going 19-1 in conference is not competing. I don’t get it.

I guess going 19-1 in conference is not competing. I don’t get it.

Even if that is truly the reason for her departure, she'll never admit it in so many words, at least not to the Wisky media. The bottom line is it doesn't really matter why she left. She's gone and is now in the past.

Even if that is truly the reason for her departure, she'll never admit it in so many words, at least not to the Wisky media. The bottom line is it doesn't really matter why she left. She's gone and is now in the past.

It's interesting but not surprising that a fair number of athletes have left the program. For most, it seems logical because they were never going to play much behind Samedy, Hart, etc., but Barnes played a lot. I see the Gophers' roster now features only 12 players. Has Hugh purposefully narrowed down the roster and gone to a different type player, such as taller and stronger at the net, than the last 2 years? Will there be roster additions later this summer? Surely there's a plan at work. Does anyone know anything about the matter?

It's interesting but not surprising that a fair number of athletes have left the program. For most, it seems logical because they were never going to play much behind Samedy, Hart, etc., but Barnes played a lot. I see the Gophers' roster now features only 12 players. Has Hugh purposefully narrowed down the roster and gone to a different type player, such as taller and stronger at the net, than the last 2 years? Will there be roster additions later this summer? Surely there's a plan at work. Does anyone know anything about the matter?

About the only thing I can add is that he's recruiting at a truly elite level. The 2020 class is considered possibly the top class in the country for that year. On top of that, he has at least two more players (Rachel Kilkelly and Airi Miyabe) coming in the fall. With Husemann, Rubright and UCLA transfer Kylie Miller already on campus, he has two of the top 60 or so players in the country for 2019 and a top-notch transfer for next year.

Insiders seem to believe that Kilkelly and/or Miyabe will factor into the back-court rotation immediately. Miyabe is apparently an extremely skilled all-around player, which is a common trait amongst Japanese players. Some chatter that was the biggest reason Barnes left (along with possibly playing behind CC McGraw) although no one seems to know for sure. Kilkelly is also a Minnesota product from Shakopee while Miyabe was the National Player of the Year in junior college.

Not surprised about others leaving because there simply wasn't going to be enough playing time available. Taylor Landfair is considered a favorite for the top recruit in the nation for 2020 and she'll be joined by Melani Shaffmaster, Cami Appiani (another likely back court player) and Jenna Wenaas, who is considered a top outside hitter prospect as well.

Hugh also has a pair of top prospects lined up in Natalie Glenn for 2021 and Mckenna Wucherer for 2022, which also cuts down on potential playing time, especially for some of the younger players.

As a result, it was almost impossible to see all of the OHs stay. Don't have much more to go on than that, but at least it's a starting point.

What are the Gopher's chances of landing Lauren Ware as a two-sport athlete?

She's grown to 6'5" according to some tidbits I saw. Is she considered an elite level volleyball prospect?

She'll be a great addition to Gopher Basketball at a minimum.

What are the Gopher's chances of landing Lauren Ware as a two-sport athlete?

She's grown to 6'5" according to some tidbits I saw. Is she considered an elite level volleyball prospect?

She'll be a great addition to Gopher Basketball at a minimum.

I think there's a reasonable chance. She's obviously a talented athlete and definitely could play both in college.

As it pertains to the Gophers, she'll have a much better chance of making a significant impact (at least right away) in basketball. The hoops team lacks her type of size and versatility, so she would likely see major minutes from the get go.

In volleyball, the competition for playing time would be very intense. Hugh's team is going to be loaded with both height and talent in coming years, especially with the likes of Landfair, Wenaas, Glenn and Wucherer arriving on the outside to go along with Rubright and Husemann in the middle.

Nevertheless, she's an intriguing prospect at the very least. Certainly wouldn't mind having her as a two-sport Gopher! :eek:

“I would not say that is the reason I left at all,” Barnes said. “I was looking for somewhere to go and compete and so I’m excited for my future. I’m going to leave what’s in the past in the past and I’m ready to see my new beginning.”

Wants to go someplace to PLAY? Phillip Nelson too was upset when not guaranteed the starting role.

I think there's a reasonable chance. She's obviously a talented athlete and definitely could play both in college.

As it pertains to the Gophers, she'll have a much better chance of making a significant impact (at least right away) in basketball. The hoops team lacks her type of size and versatility, so she would likely see major minutes from the get go.

In volleyball, the competition for playing time would be very intense. Hugh's team is going to be loaded with both height and talent in coming years, especially with the likes of Landfair, Wenaas, Glenn and Wucherer arriving on the outside to go along with Rubright and Husemann in the middle.

Nevertheless, she's an intriguing prospect at the very least. Certainly wouldn't mind having her as a two-sport Gopher! :eek:

Landfair, Wenaas, Wucherer are all OHs, and Glenn plays opposite. Ware is a middle, so should get a fair chance to start for the VB team early on in her career with Morgan having graduated by then and Pittman in her final season.

Landfair, Wenaas, Wucherer are all OHs, and Glenn plays opposite. Ware is a middle, so should get a fair chance to start for the VB team early on in her career with Morgan having graduated by then and Pittman in her final season.
Could be. Have to figure Rubright into the equation along with Husemann as well in the middle. Still, I think she'll make a bigger impact immediately in hoops if she comes here.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Congrats Gopher volleyball team grads!

I see that Alexis was one of the graduates. Isn't she a junior? Maybe graduated a year early somehow?

I see that Alexis was one of the graduates. Isn't she a junior? Maybe graduated a year early somehow?

From an interview with Lexi before last season:

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/10/9/volleyball-gopher-spotlight-alexis-hart.aspx
You spent most of your summer in Minnesota, what did you do with your time?

I intend to graduate early, so I took a lot of classes. I had both May term and summer school classes. I trained a lot and got in the gym a few extra times just to get better.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...-leave-significant-ncaa-violation/3744970002/

Iowa's Bond Shymansky placed on administrative leave.

Iowa volleyball coach Bond Shymansky has been placed on 30-day paid administrative leave for what athletics director Gary Barta called a “significant” NCAA violation.

Barta addressed the violation at Monday’s press conference, saying the investigation is ongoing with assistance from an outside firm. Barta said the allegations of a violation were brought to light by a former student-athlete on May 1. Iowa then informed the NCAA.

The firm — Bond, Schoeneck & King — came to Iowa’s campus and began its investigation on May 6, Barta said. That investigation is still ongoing, but Barta felt the evidence uncovered so far warranted the administrative leave.
Associate head coach Vicki Brown will be the interim coach until a conclusion is reached. Barta said he has also reached out to incoming recruits regarding the situation. The Hawkeyes’ 2019 class was ranked 24th by prepvolleyball.com. The ranking is Iowa's highest in the program's history.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/6/6/volleyball-mcgraw-competes-with-team-usa.aspx

CC on her USA Volleyball experience:

Selected to compete with the USA Volleyball's Collegiate National Team, CC McGraw had a busy month of May. She was with the Gophers when they competed in Okayama this past March. Coincidentally, it was the same team that she competed against with Team USA. Read up on McGraw's experience in this recent feature.

This was your first collegiate national team experience. Overall, how did it go?

Overall, it was an incredibly memorable experience. I was able to learn a lot about the Japanese culture by exploring a variety of cities such as Tokyo, Okayama, Kawasaki, and Kyoto. The games were very competitive and it was an awesome opportunity to feel uncomfortable by trying new things while playing the game. The Japanese teams have a very different style of play which is very focused on defense. They practically dig everything. It was fun getting to meet so many new athletes while enjoying a beautiful country.

You have now played in Japan twice this year, once with the Gophers, now with Team USA. Talk about playing a different style of volleyball and how as a defensive player you had to adapt?

After my two experiences of getting to compete in Japan this spring, I can definitely say I learned a lot about the game and improving my passing and defensive abilities. The first couple times playing, the teams were able to exploit any type of weaknesses I had in the back row. They know the game so well that they are able to exploit any deficiencies we may have as a team. As a result, I was forced to improve on serve receive and defense. The ball is very different than what we typically play with. It floats a ton and the opposing team is able to efficiently serve seams often. I had to improve my vision and ability to see the ball early and make a simple angle to target.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...s-statement-regarding-termination/1511546001/

A few days late; but we should close Iowa's Bond Shymansky era.

Former Iowa volleyball coach Bond Shymansky addressed his recent termination Thursday, one day after he was fired for committing a "major" NCAA violation regarding impermissible benefits for a former student-athlete.

The statement was released through the Hartung Schroeder law firm.

"Former University of Iowa Head Women's Volleyball Coach Bond Shymansky acknowledges that an NCAA violation was committed when he provided financial assistance to a team member during the summer of 2017 to cover her rent."

This next part is from Shymansky.

"For the past month, I have cooperated with the University's request to remain silent regarding the underlying basis for my suspension. Now that I have been terminated, it is time to shed light on the details and end any wild speculation.

"I did not discriminate against, abuse or harass anyone — and there has never been an allegation of sexual misconduct against me. In an act of compassion, I advanced funds to cover a young woman's unanticipated summer expenses in 2017. She came to Iowa City expecting to be on full scholarship, but when that status changed, she had nowhere else to turn. I have prided myself on running an NCAA-compliant program. However, I understand that I didn't 'do it right' by NCAA standards in this one instance and I am prepared to accept whatever sanction is deemed appropriate by the NCAA.

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/7/1/volleyball-gopher-spotlight-kylie-miller.aspx

Meet Kylie Miller:
Kylie Miller: transferred to the University of Minnesota after spending her first three years at UCLA. Miller, a senior from Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., Miller played in 179 career sets for the Bruins and accumulated 1,278 assists, 34 aces and 211 digs. Joining the Gopher Volleyball team in January 2019, Miller practiced with the team during the spring semester and also attended the team's Japan international trip this past March. Check out how Kylie's adapting to Minnesota as we get to know some of our newest Gophers.

You decided to transfer from UCLA to Minnesota. What was so special about Minnesota that led you here?

I wanted to play for (head coach) Hugh McCutcheon and his coaching staff and compete for a national championship in front of some of the best volleyball fans in the country.

You transferred here in January, how was your first semester?
Immediately, everyone made me feel so welcomed and comfortable. I grew to love and respect my teammates very quickly. I am enjoying my classes and I am having a lot of fun being in a new city.

This past March, you were able to go to Japan with the team. How did that trip benefit you personally to set up for this 2019 season?
Japan was a great opportunity to put everything we worked on and learned in practices into competition. We put the skills we developed into play and we were able to see how our plays worked against opponents.

You actually played in the Pavilion before when you were with UCLA in the 2016 NCAA Championships. Talk about playing at the Pav and what it was like to be an opposing player as well as what you're looking forward to coming up this season.
Playing in the Pavillion my freshman year was an unreal experience. It was easily the most exciting environment I have ever played in. Honestly, as an opponent it was very intimidating! As a freshman, it was very thrilling to be competing in the Elite 8 against a top caliber team like the University of Minnesota. I am looking forward to competing for a national championship this year and being a part of an elite program and surrounded by athletes, coaches and staff that are all working extremely hard every day towards a common goal.

What's your major and how many credits are you taking here this summer/spring?
My major is family social science and I am taking 16 credits.

What's one misconception or one thing you underestimated about living in Minnesota?
One misconception about Minnesota is I had no idea that summers were so warm and nice. I was a little nervous during the winter, but the snow and cold are worth it for the beautiful summers.

I got a call today from the ticket office. I was able to add two more season tickets to my account. They are not with the other two seats I have, but still pretty good location.

The new East wall.

Thank god for the AC. Felt like Cool Hand Luke half the time.

Figured I'd post Lauren Ware's "Top Five" since she continues to say she wants to play both volleyball and basketball.

I see the Gophers' spring 2019 roster has only 12 players. Adding the transfer from Japan makes 13. Isn't that a pretty small roster for fall 2019?

Neither Kilkelly nor Husemann are on the roster. Also, on Volleytalk, there is mention of another setter from Croatia that should be joining the team.

I see the Gophers' spring 2019 roster has only 12 players. Adding the transfer from Japan makes 13. Isn't that a pretty small roster for fall 2019?

The fall roster probably won't be up until practice starts.

https://www.mndaily.com/article/201...ll-players-show-off-their-skills-for-team-usa

The Daily: Gophers playing for USA volleyball.

The United States volleyball circuit was well-represented by Gophers this summer as the team gears up for the 2019-2020 season.

Sophomores C.C. McGraw and Adanna Rollins, as well as juniors Regan Pittman and Stephanie Samedy, had a chance to play for USA volleyball in places like California, Italy and Japan.

For sophomores McGraw and Rollins, the experience they had overseas is something they’ll never forget.

“It was by far one of the coolest experiences,” McGraw said. “It was such an honor to be able to compete with some of the top athletes at the collegiate level. We got to meet a bunch of new players and play under a different coach, and it was just a really cool and unique experience.”

Rollins echoed this sentiment.

“It was a wonderful experience," she said. "It was my first time so it was really exciting and new, and I learned a lot from the different countries I played and the different girls I got to play with from different colleges”.

In Japan, McGraw saw a game that she wasn’t quite used to back in the states, a style that taught her to get more comfortable being uncomfortable while playing.

“The Japanese game is so different than what we’re used to, so getting a different view of the game of volleyball was really valuable,” McGraw said. “One of the biggest things that the Japanese team had was their defense, they dug everything, and as a result they were super successful.”

For Rollins, the emphasis playing in Italy was all about the value of each possession.

“I just learned how much every point matters. It’s such a fast game over [in Europe] it really helped me embrace how much you have to put into every single point,” Rollins said. “I plan on taking that [mindset] into the season.”

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/7/15/volleyball-gopher-spotlight-shea-rubright.aspx

From a couple weeks ago: a Shea Rubright spotlight:

Shea Rubright (Yakima, Wash.) completed her West Valley High School career with 927 kills and hit over .470. The Under Armour All-American was named as the No. 12 recruit in the nation and competed within the USA Volleyball circuit. In high school, she helped her team to a title in 2018 and was named the West Valley High School Female Athlete of the Year. After Rubright completed her high school season, she joined the Gophers in January 2019. She competed with the Gophers in the spring season and went on the international trip to Japan back in March. Getting ready to begin her freshman year with the Gophers, take a look as we connect with the 6-foot, 5-inch middle blocker in this recent spotlight.

When did you start playing volleyball and how did you get into the sport?
I started playing volleyball when I was in eighth grade so about 14 or 15 years old. I started playing because all my friends were doing it and I wanted to try it. A lot of my friends are still playing volleyball, some are playing Division II volleyball, which is really cool and one of my closer friends is a setter at Gonzaga. I played with her since the very beginning and she's the one that really got me into it.

You started your Gopher career early when you joined this past January. Why did you decide to start then and what have you already learned with the team?
I chose to come in January academically and athletically. Academically, it did it so I could get a head start on my degree. I wanted to start earlier so I could finish earlier and then get a master's degree. Athletically, I came so I could get used to that skill jump earlier and just know the program. That way, in the fall, it wasn't that big of an adjustment.

Top Bottom