Gophers receive commitment from JUCO cornerback Damarion Williams - Twincities.com

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Gophers receive a commitment from JUCO DB Damarion Williams

The Gophers kicked off a big recruiting weekend by receiving a commitment from junior college defensive back Damarion Williams. He chose the Gophers over offers from Washington State and Boise State, among others. The 5-foot-11, 160-pound defensive back attended Highland Community College and will transfer into the Class of 2019 at Minnesota.

This provides the Gophers with much-needed defensive back depth for next season. It was an area head coach P.J. Fleck said would be important for this upcoming recruiting class.

There will likely be more commitments over the weekend as the Gophers host a high volume of players for the “Twin Cities Takeover” event.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/5351130/5b84ccda2aa7b20c1c1439fe' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Gophers football program received an oral commitment from junior college cornerback Damarion Williams on Saturday, he announced on Twitter.

“I’m ready to Row The Boat,” Williams tweeted. “#Committed.”

At 5-foot-11 and 170 pounds, Williams, an Atlanta native, had 18 tackles and three interceptions as a freshman at Highland Community College.

Williams was on an official visit to the U this weekend.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/12/...tment-from-juco-cornerback-damarion-williams/

Folks are saying he was the plan A option for Fleck in the defensive backfield

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like just 2 to me as he was a freshman in 2017, unless he redshirted at juco.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

One says 160 pounds and the other says 170 pounds...........is he physically strong enough?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Awesome! Welcome aboard.

Looks like a playmaker. But that's usually the conclusion after watching a highlight film.

Last edited:

Good get at position of need

Good speed and instincts, it looks like.

They'll put some meat on him at the Nutrition Table.

His tape is really impressive. They must view him as someone that could be good enough to start right away as we don’t really need a Juco just for depth.

No one has posted it so I will...

Atlanta, GA is Gopher Country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have speed in the defensive backfield with Winfield, Terrell Smith, and company.

His tape is really impressive. They must view him as someone that could be good enough to start right away as we don’t really need a Juco just for depth.

It'll be nice to have him after next year when Durr and Williamson graduate. We'll still have Terrell Smith and Kiondre Thomas, but the rest of the CBs are fairly unproven.

It sounds like he'll be a three years to play 2 sort of guy.

It'll be interesting to see what next season holds with Durr, Thomas, Smith, Williamson, and the RS FR.

Either way, this signing makes a ton of sense and his take is impressive.

Welcome aboard!

It'll be nice to have him after next year when Durr and Williamson graduate. We'll still have Terrell Smith and Kiondre Thomas, but the rest of the CBs are fairly unproven.

Durr will get an extra year as he got a medical redshirt. Time really flies. I can’t believe the kids in that class are already seniors/4th year players.

Durr and Thomas will be juniors next year along with Williams. Williamson will be the only senior. So between those 3 and Terrel Smith we appear to be setup very well at corner. I’m wondering who is going to play safety.

Durr and Thomas will be juniors next year along with Williams. Williamson will be the only senior. So between those 3 and Terrel Smith we appear to be setup very well at corner. I’m wondering who is going to play safety.

Wiliamson got some burn at S last year, no?

He doesn’t appear to be afraid of contact. Some nice tackling in there!

And he looks to have some speed in him.

We had C. Smith red-shirted as a freshman this year, I assume he should start to get looked at for 2019.

Looks like a playmaker. But that's usually the conclusion after watching a highlight film.

Agree. After being really impressed by Vic Viramote’s highlight reel, I sent the link to a friend of mine and said, looks like we found our QB! This fall my friend sent me a text asking why that guy wasn’t playing. I had to tell him he left the school and is learning to play linebacker. ?

Who does this remind you of undersized, looks good in coverage, and A ferocious run stopper?

Antoine Winfield SR.

Antoine Winfield: height: 5’9” weight: 180
Damarion Williams: height 5’11” weight: 170

Last edited:

Williams was Fleck's 'Plan A' guy, so this is a very good thing. Sounds like the staff feels he was overlooked due to his size & were crossing their fingers, that he wouldn't start getting big time offers down the stretch. He's a guy who's expected to step in and contribute immediately.

I can see what the staff sees in him. Fast. Return capability. Makes fast decisions regarding the run. Not afraid to take on a lineman. The only thing I want to see is if he can cover B1G receivers.

The Tracy Claeys seal of approval is good enough for me. Athletic tackling machine.

Rivals 5.5
247 84
ESPN not rated

Top Bottom