Shama: Former Gopher football player Pete Najarian was a candidate for U President

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Although it hasn’t been reported, Minneapolis native and former Gophers linebacker Pete Najarian was a candidate to be the next President of the University of Minnesota. Najarian, who was co-captain of the 1985 Gophers, confirmed his candidacy to Sports Headliners during a telephone interview this week.

Najarian, who found success and fame nationally as an options trader, financial markets analyst and TV personality, didn’t seek the position that now has a sole finalist in University of South Carolina Provost Joan Gabel. “The fact that I was nominated was very flattering,” Najarian said.

Najarian loves the University and pursued the school’s athletic director’s position before it was filled in 2016 by Mark Coyle. Unlike that process when he was given a formal interview, there was no such sit down for the President’s position, although he had conversations with selection committee members.

To some observers of the Presidential selection process that could raise the question of whether a business person with an accomplished background like Najarian was treated as a serious candidate. “You know, I think it’s a tough thing, quite frankly. I think they were legitimately considering (alternative) folks but I think also they’re looking for somebody…within the educational system already,” Najarian said. “I am sure there are many, many highly qualified candidates out there…who have great résumés from different universities.”

Najarian has an easy going personality, and that along with his professional background, could have made him a strong leader and uniter of the many factions at the University. He said that while the President’s position “was not something I had sat back and dreamed about like I did the AD position,” he envisioned things where he could make the University better.

A source told Sports Headliners the final three candidates to become President were all females and high level administrators at other schools. Cabal would be the first female President ever at the University of Minnesota.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom