Game 9: Gopher Visit Boston College (12-9-18)

Brunson's play was crucial. 38 minutes, 5 assists and 1 turnover while holding the offense and defense together when Bell sat.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=25492527&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

Gophers now with a very good shot at being undefeated heading into BIG play. Two more non-conference opponents at home. Coppin State has yet to win a game. Minnesota will be the fourth ranked team they've played. Rhode Island lost to BC at home by 24 earlier in the season. One thing I've liked about this Gopher team is that they've stepped up in tight games so far this year. This will most certainly continue to be important in conference play, when many games will be tight. This team's FT shooting still lacking, excluding Pitts and Lamke.

Big win. Minimal production from Bello early on, foul trouble killed her. Pitts was awesome

Anyone know when Hubbard will be back?

Hopefully Hubbard will be back by the conference opener or early January.

I wasn't able to watch or hear the game. Family birthday celebrations. Albeit an ugly win, it is still a win on the road. The Gophers did exactly what I'd hope they do in outshooting the Eagles: The Gophers shot 43.1 % vs the Eagles 38.1 %. They won the 3-Pt battle 58.3% (7-12) vs 36.4% (8-22) effectively neutralizing the outside threat. They disrupted the Eagles ball distribution rhythm. They played sloppy defense, but prevailed. Finally, they won the rebounding game 43 to 35.

The key was Whalen was keen on making the necessary adjustments when things weren't going so well.

As pointed out, most likely they are going to be 11-0 going into Big Ten play. That is the real test now that they are a ranked team, everyone will be gunning for them.

Last edited:

#12 Texas lost to #9 Tennessee.
Is that enough for Minnesota advance over Texas in the polls?
I think so. Ever imagine being ranked over Texas?

Can we adopt the ref crew from the Syracuse game and make sure we don’t get this ref crew again?

The Syracuse ref crew allowed 3 Gopher players (including Bello) to play 40 min.

I don't recall any of these refs from today's game reffing B1G games, so perhaps we are safe;Erika Heriman-Camarota, Kevin Dillard, Bryan Brunette. Still, Taiye has to stop with the silly fouls. Other than Guy not getting called for hooking Lamke with her arm in the second half, It seemed to me to be reasonably reffed. Then again, I didn't think it was a particularly ugly game. It was just two determined teams under new coaches in a non-conference battle.

Thanks for posting the Brunson dribble drive.

9052384-B-C62-E-4984-99-C2-03-AB583-C38-F0.jpg

https://www.bostonherald.com/2018/12/09/boston-college-women-fall-to-minnesota-77-69/

Some post-game quotes from Joanna Bernabei-McNamee:

“That was a hard-fought game from both teams,” BC first year head coach Joanna Bernabei-McNamee said. “But what was really disappointing for us (was) to kind of have what I thought were a lot of young-team mistakes in the fourth quarter that could have been alleviated with experience.”

“Now we’ve gotten a taste of what that is going to be like, and it’s really important for our players and us as a coaching staff. It’s a good game to get a taste of high-level competition, and now we know exactly what we need to do to get better.”

“We talked in the timeouts that whoever was guarding the inbounder (had) to double back on (Pitts) and try not to let her get it,” Bernabei-McNamee said. “(To) let their best free throw shooter continually catch the ball on the inbound was frustrating, as well as letting a kid like that score as many threes and she did.”

Destiny Pitts stepped up and outmatched Taylor Ortlepp's production. It is good to see Mercedes Staples play for twenty minutes. We hope that Delaynie Byrne and Babora Tomancova get inserted into the rotation as the season go by.

Great use of timeouts and adjustments by the Gopher coaching staff.

Gopher Single Game Scoring Records:

60 Rachel Banham at Northwestern 2/7/16
52 Rachel Banham at Michigan State 2/21/16
48 Rachel Banham vs. Milwaukee 3/16/16
44 Carol Ann Shudlick vs. Texas Tech 12/18/93
44 Carol Ann Shudlick vs. Marquette 12/21/91
42 Laura Coenen vs. Nebraska 11/30/84
41 Laura Coenen vs. Wisconsin 2/18/83
41 Lindsay Whalen vs. Purdue 2/14/02
39 Rachel Banham at Illinois 1/7/16
39 Amanda Zahui B. vs. Iowa 2/17/15
39 Rachel Banham vs. Creighton 12/30/12
38 Carol Ann Shudlick vs. Indiana 1/23/94
37 Rachel Banham vs. South Dakota 3/20/16
37 Rachel Banham vs. Illinois 1/28/13
36 Rachel Banham vs. Chattanooga 11/29/13
36 Lindsay Whalen vs. New Orleans 11/29/02
36 Laura Coenen vs. North Dakota State 12/7/82
35 Rachel Banham vs. Ohio State 2/24/16
35 Rachel Banham vs. Iowa 2/15/16
35 Rachel Banham vs. Butler 2/7/14
35 Laura Coenen vs. Purdue 3/7/85
35 Laura Coenen vs. Michigan 2/17/85
35 Destiny Pitts vs. Boston College 12/9/18

Anyone else notice Tomancova was not in uniform and in a walking boot on her left foot? did they mention anything on radio or online that I missed about what happened and if a serious injury?

Anyone else notice Tomancova was not in uniform and in a walking boot on her left foot? did they mention anything on radio or online that I missed about what happened and if a serious injury?

Yes, that Tomancova was wearing a boot was mentioned early in the game thread. I've heard nothing more.

Boston College continuing to be a bright spot on the Gopher schedule/RPI, beating Pitt today (the Panthers, incidentally, now feature former Gopher Danielle Garven, who ended up at Pitt via a junior college and who, like all of the Panthers, is solid on defense but virtually unable to score).

(Meanwhile - and equally tangentially, former MN high school star Taylor Koenen just saw her North Carolina team put up 25 points in the first quarter and STILL fall behind losers-to-Gophers Syracuse by 7. Very high scoring quarter, in other words.)

Last edited:

Top Bottom