Gophers Donnell Greene signs with an agent, will not play in bowl game

No, it isn't.

Agreed, that’s an absolutely laughable take. Maybe if he becomes the next Joe Thomas but otherwise winning games is a much more important factor in recruiting then putting guys in the league, especially if he only plays for a few years and is a no name guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start Dunlap at RG, slide Andries (obviously not a long term solution) over to LT and boom, 80% of the starting 2019 gets a head start. Bowl game like this is meant to tinker with new players, positions and plays.

If a scholarship can be pulled at the end of a season a player should be able to give his back at the end of the season. No harm no foul.

How often is a scholarship pulled from a player??? Probably never..

Next man up I suppose. The question being which player is it? Schlueter moved to TE towards the end of the regular season. Oseland maybe?

Agreed, that’s an absolutely laughable take. Maybe if he becomes the next Joe Thomas but otherwise winning games is a much more important factor in recruiting then putting guys in the league, especially if he only plays for a few years and is a no name guy.

You’d rather win a quick lane bowl than have Donnell have NFL success? You’d rather show the next Bryce Benhart or Quinn Carroll a quick lane bowl trophy than show them you can develop NFL players? LOL

I'm fine with this for a lower level bowl game with such a young team. Seems like a win-win. Nobody is going to care if you lose the Quick Lane bowl to Georgia Tech. It's not like we're playing for the national title, and even with 50-point win we're not going to be ranked. Use the extra practice & game to get as much time in for our young guys to start putting more of the focus for next year.

Best of luck to him. He practiced and played hard, and battled through injuries. He wants his shot at the NFL without risking an injury.

Maxx Williams left school early, and has had injuries. If the players are ready for the NFL, more power to them. I sure wish he could have stayed and play one more game. But, it boils down to individual risk assessments.

He was playing injured the second half of the season. His biggest priority should be getting healthy. Bowl practices and another game while injured are not going to help that.

I’m astonished at the backlash in this thread. Good for him. I’m glad he’s going to get paid for his hard work.

You’d rather win a quick lane bowl than have Donnell have NFL success? You’d rather show the next Bryce Benhart or Quinn Carroll a quick lane bowl trophy than show them you can develop NFL players? LOL

Absolutely.

I'd much rather have Fleck be able to tell recruits that we went from 5-7 in year one to 7-6 in year two as opposed to telling recruits we went from 5-7 in year one to 6-7 in year two with a late round/udfa lineman playing in the NFL. Thats over 16% more wins if we win this game.

I'm fine with this for a lower level bowl game with such a young team. Seems like a win-win. Nobody is going to care if you lose the Quick Lane bowl to Georgia Tech. It's not like we're playing for the national title, and even with 50-point win we're not going to be ranked. Use the extra practice & game to get as much time in for our young guys to start putting more of the focus for next year.

Disagree. There is a huge difference between going 6-7 vs 7-6. Every single win that this team can muster up matters. Fleck gets to tell recruits he won two more games from the previous year as opposed to just one more game. It's possible that that one more win could be the difference between a recruit going here instead of somewhere else if they are on the fence.

Plus losing can give the fans and players a bad taste in their mouths. It can also be the difference between someone who is on the fence for renewing their season tickets or not renewing. Every win matters. Players will be more excited to train in the offseason coming off of a win etc.

Of course someone can quit when they want. But then they lose their scholarship. Greene received a scholarship for the 1st semester to play football. He’s not honoring his end of the agreement.

Of course he is. The semester will be over before the bowl game.

It sucks for fans. For the people that think he is being selfish by doing what he thinks is best for his future, it's a hell of a lot more selfish for a fan to think he should have to play.

How much did having Maxx Williams get drafted in the second round help us with recruiting tight ends? To sell your program to recruits, you need to have sustained success as both a team and at a position group for several years. Having Greene drafted in round 6 won’t move the needle.

How much did having Maxx Williams get drafted in the second round help us with recruiting tight ends? To sell your program to recruits, you need to have sustained success as both a team and at a position group for several years. Having Greene drafted in round 6 won’t move the needle.

Exactly.

And I haven't even seen anywhere that projects him to be a 6th round pick.

I don't know if any of you guys saw him limping over to the axe after the Wisconsin game but I did. He's hurt and gutted out the end of the regular season because we needed him too. He gets even more injured in a "grand scheme of things" meaningless bowl game and can't work out at the combine and/or with teams this spring and he has zero chance to be drafted. Get healthy and secure you're bag young man, you've earned it! THANK YOU DONNELL!

Regarding the every win matters argument (which I agree) shouldn’t some of your anger then be directed towards PJ for blown opportunities this year and last, playing injured guys like Annexstad and Durr, hiring and keeping Rossi.

Seems like it’s always the players fault when we lose (or may lose in this case) but the coaches are credited for success. Donnell played his heart out. I saw how he was hobbling around. Be nice.

Regarding the every win matters argument (which I agree) shouldn’t some of your anger then be directed towards PJ for blown opportunities this year and last, playing injured guys like Annexstad and Durr, hiring and keeping Rossi.

Seems like it’s always the players fault when we lose (or may lose in this case) but the coaches are credited for success. Donnell played his heart out. I saw how he was hobbling around. Be nice.

Yeah, PJ got no heat this year. IALTO.

The purpose of a very expensive scholarship is to play for the school that gave you that scholarship.

I don't know if any of you guys saw him limping over to the axe after the Wisconsin game but I did. He's hurt and gutted out the end of the regular season because we needed him too. He gets even more injured in a "grand scheme of things" meaningless bowl game and can't work out at the combine and/or with teams this spring and he has zero chance to be drafted. Get healthy and secure you're bag young man, you've earned it! THANK YOU DONNELL!

If he is injured, by all means he shouldn’t play.

Quite a bit of truth in this post. He has a choice of getting healthy and being stronger for the combines. Or take a step back as he isn't completely healthy by playing in the bowl game. I totally get it why he would choose this route. Its his career for a while and he needs to get ready for it in his way as he hasn't recovered fully yet. Yes selfishly I'd love to see him play in the bowl, but he isn't healthy and has more to lose at this point.

Also, if a team has secured bowl eligibility but has also been eliminated from the division race, how is a win against a mediocre Purdue, Illinois or Maryland type team more important than a win against a mediocre out of conference P5 team in a "meaningless bowl game." Shouldn't those Big Ten games be considered "meaningless" too?

Also, if a team has secured bowl eligibility but has also been eliminated from the division race, how is a win against a mediocre Purdue, Illinois or Maryland type team more important than a win against a mediocre out of conference P5 team in a "meaningless bowl game." Shouldn't those Big Ten games be considered "meaningless" too?

I personally differentiate in this hypothetical as the mediocre Big ten games are part of the regular season thus still matter in the standings in the big ten. Meanwhile going to the Quick Lane Bowl game doesn't really change anything in the standings at the end of the year. I get what you're saying, and it's a valid point for sure. I just view these lower tier bowl games as bonus because of the extra practices and maybe getting more experience to our younger guys. I know he was injured and gutted out the regular season, battling his tail off to be on the field to help win us the axe and gain us a bowl birth. I sincerely doubt anybody in that lockerroom views him as a quitter. In fact, I kinda like it because I hope they can get Dickson on the field and get his feet wet before next year when we will need to show continued progress on the field.

Top Bottom