Gophers Donnell Greene signs with an agent, will not play in bowl game

I don't have any inside info on this to comment strongly either way. Good luck to everyone involved.

The Daily Gopher had a fun speculation about Andries sliding over to left tackle and Dunlop playing right guard.

Best wishes. Gotta stay healthy and make some money for the kin folk. No sense in possible injury playing a pointless game as a senior.

I'm all for this. Fans think of bowl games as an end of season deal, whereas the few coaches that I've spoken with view them as a chance to get a head start on next year's season. The entire 15 days of extra practice, and the game itself, helped set the tone for the next season. Let the seniors that have a chance to get to the big dance, make the best of their one-time shot to make it; let the underclassmen that haven't had as much playing time get the extra reps in practice and more game action. It'll set us up for next season, and yes, if he makes an NFL roster that is a big deal in recruiting.

I'm not thrilled.

OTOH, it's certainly DG's right to try to get paid. If he goes in the seventh round, that gives him what, $70,000 guaranteed, with a shot to earn $2.5 million over four years? Can't blame a guy for wanting to take a whack at that kind of money. But if he ends up undrafted, what did he gain?

Next up.

JTG

Meh

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I really don't get the logic of "it's OK to sit out the Bowl Game it doesn't mean anything." You can apply that same logic to almost every game this year. We were never going to win the B1G or the national title. So did the New Mexico State game really mean anything? Illinois? Northwestern? Did they mean more than the Bowl game will? No.

I gotta believe this is a violation in the PJ Fleck cultural manual. Gotta be something in there about team, about the name on the front more important than the name on the back, about fox hole partners, about dependable, accountable etc? If not, PJ needs a revised edition.

Of course someone can quit when they want. But then they lose their scholarship. Greene received a scholarship for the 1st semester to play football. He’s not honoring his end of the agreement.

The semester ends before the bowl game, not that that makes a difference.

I really don’t understand why this is controversial. If he were 100% healthy and sitting out that’s one thing but he was clearly hurt and might even need surgery or something. He wants to be healthy for the combine/pro day and draft and I can’t fault him at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty short-sided on your part.

That’d be short-sighted.

Student athletes aren’t paid and getting a shot at the pros is why many college football players toil for three to five years in a the minor lea- er, ncaa.

Would love to see him play the game out and don’t endorse this trend but, c’mon, players in this situation have paid their dues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Bosa kid got hurt in the middle of the season at Ohio St and he shut it down to get ready for the draft.
McCaffrey skipped the Rose Bowl a couple years ago, he is now with the Panthers
Ed Oliver, arguably the best interior lineman in the country also shut it down and is getting ready for the draft
And, there will be many more guys that are battling injuries that need to be ready for the combine.

Anyone complaining about the decisions made by an athlete about his future is literally an idiot. Coaches change jobs for better opportunities. Athletes that have a chance at playing professionally deserve respect and good wishes from their fan base. I for one think it's a nice problem to have for the Gophers.

Greene is injured. He shouldn't play in any case. Andries to LT and Dunlap to RG gives Callahan a chance to put the OL in place for the bowl game and for next year. Good luck to Greene. Hope to see him in the NFL.

He gets paid with a expensive scholarship

Also from a teammates perspective I would not be happy

This board is crazy. All year fans want to get to 6 wins so we can go to a bowl game. Now that we get there and have a chance for a winning season, it’s meaningless.

Claeys and the 2016 team were lauded for their great performance in the Holiday Bowl. Was that game meaningless too? I remember a lot of fans being excited about the win. Or maybe we only won because it was meaningless for WSU.

He gets paid with a expensive scholarship

Also from a teammates perspective I would not be happy
He is hurt. I am guessing the team and coaches are fine with it. Probably telling him he is doing the right thing.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

This board is crazy. All year fans want to get to 6 wins so we can go to a bowl game. Now that we get there and have a chance for a winning season, it’s meaningless.

Claeys and the 2016 team were lauded for their great performance in the Holiday Bowl. Was that game meaningless too? I remember a lot of fans being excited about the win. Or maybe we only won because it was meaningless for WSU.

Not the ONLY reason, but they did seem to be playing fairly uninspired. Leach seemed to think they were too.

He is hurt. Did you watch the press conference? Both coaches said the bowl game is a reward for the players. Fleck said it is a chance to get better for next year. Will he be here next year? Go out and kick GT butt without him.

He is hurt. Did you watch the press conference? Both coaches said the bowl game is a reward for the players. Fleck said it is a chance to get better for next year. Will he be here next year? Go out and kick GT butt without him.

If he’s hurt he should sit. That wasn’t my understanding, and obviously a lot of people think he should sit even if healthy since it’s a “meaningless” bowl game.

He must cripple himself for our amusement, damnit! We demand it!

Good luck to him. He’s fulfilled his obligation.

He must cripple himself for our amusement, damnit! We demand it!

Yeah what the? Everyone is happy the Gophers made a bowl game and want them to win, but it’s the dang Quick Lane Bowl!!

Anyone remember Matt Leidner stepping up for the Holiday Bowl?

Of course someone can quit when they want. But then they lose their scholarship. Greene received a scholarship for the 1st semester to play football. He’s not honoring his end of the agreement.

is that really “the agreement”? serious question. is there paperwork that says that a player gets a scholarship in return for certain service?

if this is best for him and his family, then more power to him. a player should be able to become a professional whenever he chooses.

This might surprise you but many seniors who want to play in the NFL never go to class their sr year. Shocking, I know.

I had a lot of friends at the U who barely went to class their senior year...

Yeah what the? Everyone is happy the Gophers made a bowl game and want them to win, but it’s the dang Quick Lane Bowl!!

Anyone remember Matt Leidner stepping up for the Holiday Bowl?

IIRC he had already cut weight in anticipation of not playing then the Texas center was injured. Played at 250 or 260 pounds.

Part of the time, coaches use the bowl games as the first game of the next season. Play a lot of non-seniors.

For all we know, Fleck may have suggested it to him.

Top Bottom