Gophers Donnell Greene signs with an agent, will not play in bowl game

IIRC he had already cut weight in anticipation of not playing then the Texas center was injured. Played at 250 or 260 pounds.

That’s true. He probably wouldn’t have held up was well against a Big Ten NT but he played a damn good game.

This is is so Elite! [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ALSO: Donnell having NFL success is better for the Gophers than winning the quick lane bowl
I don't think either is particularly important, but a win on your record is better than a guy playing a few seasons in the NFL.

The the argument is that DG “owes” the “U” to play? Laughable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck to Donnel, he gas been a good Gopher. He has to look out for his potwnricl areer now. If He can get paid playing football more power to him. It's a 5 to 10 year window, he has a shot to make money, I don't blame him.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

I don't know if any of you guys saw him limping over to the axe after the Wisconsin game but I did. He's hurt and gutted out the end of the regular season because we needed him too. He gets even more injured in a "grand scheme of things" meaningless bowl game and can't work out at the combine and/or with teams this spring and he has zero chance to be drafted. Get healthy and secure you're bag young man, you've earned it! THANK YOU DONNELL!

Deal with it guys, it is happening more and more that players are skipping Bowl games to get ready for the NFL, that ship has already sailed. His feels his future career is in the NFL and he only has this one shot at it, so it make sense to prepare for that goal.

To really evaluate this, we would need to know:
A. how badly is Greene injured?
B. what would his status be by Dec 26? (70%, 80%, etc)
C. what conversations has he had with the coaching staff about his options?
D. what conversations has he had with his teammates about his options?
E. Are the coaches OK with this, or are they upset?
F. are his teammates OK with this, or are they upset?
G. What, if anything, did his new agent tell Greene about his draft prospects?
H. do scouts put more weight on combine drills, or game performance, in evaluating a player's pro prospects? What would help Greene more?

In short, what we "know" is minimal. what we don't know is extensive.

So let's speculate some more........

(as a general principle, I do not like to see guys leaving a team before the season is over. But, if the Coaches and his teammates are OK with it, that changes my perspective.)

Deal with it guys, it is happening more and more that players are skipping Bowl games to get ready for the NFL, that ship has already sailed. His feels his future career is in the NFL and he only has this one shot at it, so it make sense to prepare for that goal.

If I was him I'd skip the bowl game too

He had a meniscus tear and recent surgery which explains him hobbling around the field the last couple games.

Greene has signed an agreement with an agent after undergoing a recent meniscus surgery, which entails a 3-4 month rehab, and will skip Minnesota’s appearance in the Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit on Dec. 26, sources told the Pioneer Press on Thursday.

So 1) he can't play on a meniscus like he wants, which could potentially harm his assessmenta 2) if he continues to play he could propagate the tear and create a bigger medical mess, 3) he needs rehab time to prepare for the pro day and possible combine appearance. Sounds like he made the right decision and one I would hope anyone would make. I'm sure the coaches and team support him 100%. We're lucky he decided to finish out the regular season. Thanks again Donnell, and good luck.

His scholarship was to play an entire football season. He didn’t. For everyone that thinks it isn’t a big deal, i’m sure opinions would be different if he was missing the Rose Bowl. Or the CFP.

Where is that written down? Link?

He had a meniscus tear and recent surgery which explains him hobbling around the field the last couple games.

Greene has signed an agreement with an agent after undergoing a recent meniscus surgery, which entails a 3-4 month rehab, and will skip Minnesota’s appearance in the Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit on Dec. 26, sources told the Pioneer Press on Thursday.

So 1) he can't play on a meniscus like he wants, which could potentially harm his assessment 2) if he continues to play he could propagate the tear and create a bigger medical mess, 3) he needs rehab time to prepare for the pro day and possible combine appearance. Sounds like he made the right decision and one I would hope anyone would make. I'm sure the coaches and team support him 100%. We're lucky he decided to finish out the regular season. Thanks again Donnell, and good luck.

This.

Mirror. Stop being selfish a$$holes by calling a player a selfish a$$hole. Get the facts.

Last edited:

I gotta believe this is a violation in the PJ Fleck cultural manual. Gotta be something in there about team, about the name on the front more important than the name on the back, about fox hole partners, about dependable, accountable etc? If not, PJ needs a revised edition.

Of course you would believe that.

I’m in the camp that believes he owes it to the team to complete the season (including the bowl). He is part of the team and the season isn’t completely over yet. It just feels like he is abandoning the team and the fans. I can see why he’s doing it though. If he is still injured and feels like it would add below average play to his game film thus hurting his draft stock then maybe he needs to pull out and get healthy. It just seems a bit selfish.

Have a good season and the Bowl is the culmination of the good season. Have average season and the Bowl is a look into the future. That's been my opinion on bowls. Greene choosing to sit and get healthy for the future seems like no problem.

I’m in the camp that believes he owes it to the team to complete the season (including the bowl). He is part of the team and the season isn’t completely over yet. It just feels like he is abandoning the team and the fans. I can see why he’s doing it though. If he is still injured and feels like it would add below average play to his game film thus hurting his draft stock then maybe he needs to pull out and get healthy. It just seems a bit selfish.

I agree, unless he is in total rehab mode due to an injury.
He does not have the quickness/ feet to play tackle in the NFL, so he probably is FA someone gives a shot a guard. I guess we will get to see who the coaches see as the LT for next season by who they roll out as the starter in the bowl game.

I agree, unless he is in total rehab mode due to an injury.
He does not have the quickness/ feet to play tackle in the NFL, so he probably is FA someone gives a shot a guard. I guess we will get to see who the coaches see as the LT for next season by who they roll out as the starter in the bowl game.

Many people are high on him being drafted. They must know more than we do. Will be interesting to see if he is a true 6'7". I agree that he may move to guard.

I hope he does well in pre-draft training and does get drafted. Having players drafted always shines positive light on the program.

Guessing Schlueter will play left tackle ... but wonder if it wouldn't be better to put Andries there and have Dunlap play right Guard? Probably too big of a change, to make this late.

Just another thing all of us as college football fans are going to have to get used to, I guess.
Fortunately with the new redshirt rules it's easier to plug someone else in. The problem could be if some backup player has already played in 4 games and coaches are caught off guard, or notified late, regarding a starter sitting out a bowl game. So I propose that non-CFP games don't count against the 4 redshirt games.

Could someone get on that and let the proper officials know? I am a terrible at getting things done... I'm more of an idea guy.

FAMILY? I guess not. I don't begrudge Greene opting to do this, but is there an acceptable threshold?
What if this were the Rose Bowl? I dont think there would be as many supportive fans.
In a way, I'd like to see a superstar decline to play in a big bowl. Let's start with Haskins. Would anything change?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I hope he does well in pre-draft training and does get drafted. Having players drafted always shines positive light on the program.

Guessing Schlueter will play left tackle ... but wonder if it wouldn't be better to put Andries there and have Dunlap play right Guard? Probably too big of a change, to make this late.

Maybe, might get a peak at the plans for next year at LT as well.

Just another thing all of us as college football fans are going to have to get used to, I guess.
Fortunately with the new redshirt rules it's easier to plug someone else in. The problem could be if some backup player has already played in 4 games and coaches are caught off guard, or notified late, regarding a starter sitting out a bowl game. So I propose that non-CFP games don't count against the 4 redshirt games.

Could someone get on that and let the proper officials know? I am a terrible at getting things done... I'm more of an idea guy.

Coaches actually just wanted to make it so that playing in a bowl game didn't lose the redshirt. They did them one better by saying they could play in up to 4 games in the season, including the bowl game.

So I don't think they're going to have much sympathy there ...

Maybe, might get a peak at the plans for next year at LT as well.

Next year Dickson should be a factor. He had to be held out of competition this season due to academic reason, if I understood correctly.

Not sure if he could play in the bowl game or not?? Good question ...

I am wondering what some of the GH fans would think if we were writing about losing our top running back or even the star QB. Instead of losing one of 5starting linemen. I would be willing to bet the majority would be changing their tune as to it’s ok to skip the bowl. Just saying...

When it comes to transferring and such... we get all upset the moment these kids aren't locked into the NCAA rules that otherwise prevent them from having a career.

Meanwhile coach's and ADs make tons of money and largely can do what they want... but that's ok.

When it comes to transferring and such... we get all upset the moment these kids aren't locked into the NCAA rules that otherwise prevent them from having a career.

Meanwhile coach's and ADs make tons of money and largely can do what they want... but that's ok.

Coaches don't coach their teams in bowl games, all the time. Happens every season, they get picked up by a bigger program and they don't finish the season at the lower school.

I don't think anyone at the lower school thinks it's OK, though.

Apparently some of you are having difficulty understanding he had a torn meniscus and continuing to play on it could set him up for worse issues with the knee.

Time and again (eg during police investigations, the boycott, or if a guy transfers out) many here will instantly turn on that player (or players) and assume the worst before the process has played out. Loyalty lies only with “the program”, or ridiculous concerns about a few days of negative PR, rather than the individual players on the team.

The coaches have 3 weeks to field a serviceable line. If they need to move people around so be it.

Top Bottom