Big Ten opener announced attendance: 9,624

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I was pretty surprised to see the attendance last night as low as it was. I don't recall a Big Ten opener with such low attendance as last night, especially considering we were playing a ranked team, Nebraska had a decent number of fans in attendance (compared to many BT teams who don't have much alumni/fans in the area), we are a pretty solid team ourselves, etc. I realize Wednesday night at 8pm isn't an ideal start time, but last year we had 11,097 vs a bad Rutgers team, granted that game was on Sunday at 5pm.

The crowd that was there was loud down the stretch, but I didn't expect to see thousands of empty seats in the second deck.

Go Gophers!!

I was pretty surprised to see the attendance last night as low as it was. I don't recall a Big Ten opener with such low attendance as last night, especially considering we were playing a ranked team, Nebraska had a decent number of fans in attendance (compared to many BT teams who don't have much alumni/fans in the area), we are a pretty solid team ourselves, etc. I realize Wednesday night at 8pm isn't an ideal start time, but last year we had 11,097 vs a bad Rutgers team, granted that game was on Sunday at 5pm.

Regardless, the crowd that was there was loud down the stretch, but I didn't expect to see thousands of empty seats in the second deck.

Go Gophers!!
Do you think it is registering with the occasional fan that this is actually the BT opener? It's barely registering with me. Still seems odd. This has classically been the preseason, and no one is thinking regular season yet. It didn't actually open the BT season. 'Cause now we're back to non-conference.

I am calling these 2 games 'the BT Preview'.

Do you think it is registering with the occasional fan that this is actually the BT opener? It's barely registering with me. Still seems odd. This has classically been the preseason, and no one is thinking regular season yet. It didn't actually open the BT season. 'Cause now we're back to non-conference.

I think that is a good point. It really is strange to have these two games in the middle of the non-conference slate.

Go Gophers!!

I thought the attendance should have been better but last nights crowd was pretty energized. My friend who had never been to a game was impressed how loud it was and I told him wait until its full. I do not think fans are really in conference mode yet. Plus the Ohio State game did not get people fired up to go and buy tickets.

The crowd that was there was loud down the stretch, but I didn't expect to see thousands of empty seats in the second deck.

Go Gophers!!

I am a Pitino backer and NOT a fire the coach guy. However, the falling season ticket sales (does anyone know how much they dropped) and low attendance is indicative of how hot the Pitino seat is. Money talks. The difference between filling the stands and 9500 per game attendance is probably 3-4 million bucks a year or more lost. I hope he gets it done this year and is able to reinvigorate the fans. The people I attend the games with and have for 30 years, are getting tired of the lack of success and at times- they just don't show up even though the seats are paid for.

The trend now in the Barn is that the fans have been waiting for the team to fire them up. They sit on their hands until the team does something good - which usually is an effort play on defense or a big dunk. But the team needs the fans when things are not going well. There seems to be a lot of fans in the Barn who are in the "well whatever" mode when we are not doing well. I thought the arena was way too quiet until the last 10 minutes. We need more from the student section IMO- a lot more.

Students are also busy. Next 2 weeks are presentations and finals. My son is at the U and a huge gopher basketball fan - He was preparing for presentations late last night and asked me this morning "who won?"

gophs came into last season locked and loaded for bear....attractive product greater demand

Are Timberwolves & Gopher fans mutually exclusive sets? Could there be an overlap that chose to see the improving Wolves?

That's a great point. If it were December like old times, there's no way the attendance would be that bad

I'm surprised it was that low. Kudos to those who were there, it seemed like it was rocking pretty good when necessary.

I'm surprised it was that low. Kudos to those who were there, it seemed like it was rocking pretty good when necessary.

It was a blast being there. Just not a hot ticket. If it was then it would not matter if it was non con or not. It is a reflection of how terrible we have been. Winning cures it. I have friends that will not go with all the losing and off the court troubles. Their choice. They are large donors not impressed with Pitino as a coach or a presence. I am staying in because i believe in a top 3 team.

In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie reported that Wednesday's game was the lowest attended Big Ten game in Pitino's 6 years at Minnesota. He said there has never been below 10,000 people at a Big Ten game under Pitino. Doogie said "that is certainly alarming when you start wondering whether Pitino will get a 7th year."

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

Weren't the Gophers ranked near the top ten in the country at the start of the conference slate? I also think there was a great deal of anticipation after a full summer of speculation about how good they might be. I'd bet that's a big part of the equation. If they keep winning I'd fully expect those numbers to climb quickly.

Are Timberwolves & Gopher fans mutually exclusive sets? Could there be an overlap that chose to see the improving Wolves?

This is a good point. I wonder what the prices are for T-Wolves upper deck vs Minnesota Upper deck (as I look them up the Gophers are typically $10-$15 more expensive for similar seats around the upper deck)?

Money talks. The difference between filling the stands and 9500 per game attendance is probably 3-4 million bucks a year or more lost.

Very true money talks. And, that is likely the No. 1 or No. 2 reason attendance has dropped in football, basketball and hockey. The scholarship seating has killed attendance. Lost season ticket holders and made the average seat too expensive for the average guy to go. "Get in" cost for most Big Ten games is at least $50 per seat (upper deck). To get in lower bowl it is even more. That's tough to swallow. The increase in price likely makes up for the decrease in attendance, so its likely a "wash." Which makes it silly to see all the empty seats. Just lower the cost and fill the place up and you're likely "even."

My son goes to Maryland and student tickets are FREE for all sports! They have a lottery system for the dedicated student seats and those are always full. Plus, they get quality seats for students. My son sat 4 rows behind Scott Van Pelt for the Virginia game.

Even in the 80's when I attended Minnesota, students have had to pay for tickets to all sports except the really low profile ones. And student tickets were in the rafters well away from the court!

Granted Maryland has the 20,000 (guess) seat Infinity center and the Goph's have the 16,000+ barn, if they can't fill the place then give the tickets away to make it a better environment. Put them near the court to create a feel and get over the fact you can't sell all the tickets.

The increase in price likely makes up for the decrease in attendance, so its likely a "wash." Which makes it silly to see all the empty seats. Just lower the cost and fill the place up and you're likely "even."

Agreed. I've been beating that drum on the football board all season. This isn't a problem without a solution. It's a self-inflicted wound.

JTG

My son goes to Maryland and student tickets are FREE for all sports! They have a lottery system for the dedicated student seats and those are always full. Plus, they get quality seats for students. My son sat 4 rows behind Scott Van Pelt for the Virginia game.

Even in the 80's when I attended Minnesota, students have had to pay for tickets to all sports except the really low profile ones. And student tickets were in the rafters well away from the court!

Granted Maryland has the 20,000 (guess) seat Infinity center and the Goph's have the 16,000+ barn, if they can't fill the place then give the tickets away to make it a better environment. Put them near the court to create a feel and get over the fact you can't sell all the tickets.

In the 1960's when there were a lot of empty seats they gave them to high school bball teams for free. That is when many of us old blue hair season ticket holders fell in love with the barn. Doing that again could possibly create a whole new lifetime fan base!

Agreed. I've been beating that drum on the football board all season. This isn't a problem without a solution. It's a self-inflicted wound.

JTG

More people would seem to buy more food and beer, especially for 6pm games.

More people would seem to buy more food and beer, especially for 6pm games.

Also this becomes a stronger donor base and more merchandise sales later. Its pretty short sighted to have ticket prices as high as they are.

Also this becomes a stronger donor base and more merchandise sales later. Its pretty short sighted to have ticket prices as high as they are.

We're also battling a marketing culture that at times believes if they price their product/event too low, people will think it's not that good. I've been told that many times in different environments. They are not just selling tickets. They are selling an image and they don't want the image to be too cheap.

I don't know the accounting specifics, but with the massive ramp up in conference media revenue, it would seem like ticket revenue would become a less significant source of income, not more. I'm with the crowd that says lower the price and fill the arena.

Scheduling doesn't help matters, though, especially for basketball. I have season tickets and a unique schedule, but I will miss at least half the games this year. Some of that is my situation, but some of it is horribly inconvenient TV scheduling.

With the # of students the U has, it shouldn't be this hard. Make student season tickets free, with the stipulation that you have to use the tickets X% of the time, or you lose them. And if you have unsold single game tickets beyond that, make a certain # available to students as "rush seating" day of game. (Basically show up and get in.)

We're also battling a marketing culture that at times believes if they price their product/event too low, people will think it's not that good. I've been told that many times in different environments. They are not just selling tickets. They are selling an image and they don't want the image to be too cheap.

Yes, I've heard that many times, as well. And while there's a small grain of truth there, it's also the stupidest freaking thing I've ever heard. It's essentially the marketing team saying, "We didn't fail. The people failed us."

What disgusts me about the U and its ticket prices is the message it sends: "We may be a public university, but we're only interested in accommodating the very well-off. The rest of you peons can go screw yourselves."

JTG

Yes, I've heard that many times, as well. And while there's a small grain of truth there, it's also the stupidest freaking thing I've ever heard. It's essentially the marketing team saying, "We didn't fail. The people failed us."

What disgusts me about the U and its ticket prices is the message it sends: "We may be a public university, but we're only interested in accommodating the very well-off. The rest of you peons can go screw yourselves."

JTG

With all the so called money the athletic department barely breaks even. Win and it will be full. Until then , lottery for a 1000 students for free.

Perhaps the event many of us were complaining about a week ago impacted attendance. Paying a lot of money to watch your team play a game in an inferior setting a week before BT opening game didnt help.

I would love to get season tickets for my family but with the gopher's schedule being so random (due to tv) I've stayed away. I'm sure I'm not the only potential season ticket holder who has done the same

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Perhaps the event many of us were complaining about a week ago impacted attendance. Paying a lot of money to watch your team play a game in an inferior setting a week before BT opening game didnt help.

Respectfully, no.

1. We looked real bad at OSU.
2. Nebraska is not a traditional B10 rival or a basketball school.
3. 8pm mid-week start.
4. Wolves game at same time.

That all adds up. Plus, after last year's collapse, fans are taking a wait and see approach. I expect a much better crowd against Maryland on the 8th.

Respectfully, no.

1. We looked real bad at OSU.
2. Nebraska is not a traditional B10 rival or a basketball school.
3. 8pm mid-week start.
4. Wolves game at same time.

That all adds up. Plus, after last year's collapse, fans are taking a wait and see approach. I expect a much better crowd against Maryland on the 8th.

And, the casual fan has no idea or forgot they had a Big Ten Conference home game in the first week of December. People are conditioned to January. And all four points above are very valid but Nebraska basketball won't get many people excited....ranked or not.

This is a good point. I wonder what the prices are for T-Wolves upper deck vs Minnesota Upper deck (as I look them up the Gophers are typically $10-$15 more expensive for similar seats around the upper deck)?
Twolves upper deck behind basket $17. Best value in town, imo.

Crowd was loud for 9,000ish. Sounded more raucous than the typical Williams over the years.

Hopefully the team carries that Nebraska performance forward so we can get the joint completely packed.

Top Bottom