Reusse: This was as important as any game Pitino has coached

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat:

This might be an overstatement to many, but the opinion here is that this was as important as any game Pitino has coached in what currently stands as a failed reign as the keeper of the most famous barn in Minnesota.

Now, with the Coffey-led comeback, and with forward Eric Curry expected back before the trip to Madison … there’s hope again for a first-division finish and a Barn that’s not half-empty for future Big Ten games.

The Gophers were down 58-46 when the first TV timeout came with 15:21 remaining. Coffey came out with a dunk, and after that, he basically owned the game.

The ongoing struggle of Isaiah Washington to find his way in college basketball forced Pitino to put the basketball in the hands of the 6-8 Coffey. There’s a difference between ball-handling duties as an off guard, as in Amir’s past, and being the de facto point guard.

Unsolicited, I had been hearing from smart basketball people that this did not look as if it was going to work. Too many bad possessions; not enough good looks from Amir.

On Wednesday, Coffey quieted those doubts. He was the Gopher that you wanted with the basketball, the Gopher making the decisions. This was Coffey’s 60th game — he missed a bunch last season with a shoulder injury — and it was his best.

The numbers were terrific: He was 8-for-16 from the field, made two of the Gophers’ three 3s, was 14 of 17 at the line and scored a career-high 32 points. And getting it done with these stakes, going against athletic guards, gave a 32-minute look at the Gophers’ greatness we expected when Coffey signed with Pitino.

“I thought he single-handedly kept Minnesota hanging around,” Nebraska coach Tim Miles said. “He also did a great job [defensively] on James Palmer Jr. The way Coffey was going … we didn’t play good enough basketball to win.”

Nope. This win went to the home team, and to a coach who needed it more than any of his prior 96 at Minnesota.

http://www.startribune.com/amir-coffey-plays-his-best-when-gophers-needed-it-the-most/502040701/

Go Gophers!!

Wow. I didn't realize there were less than 10,000 people last night. That's not good, dare I say almost unheard of for a Big Ten home game?

But kudos to those at the game. Crowd did everything they could to help keep Gophers engaged when things were headed South. Best thing Gophers did last night was hang around, they (primarily Coffey) didn't let the game get out of reach. Ultimately that gave them a shot.

Last edited:

Wow. I didn't realize there were less than 10,000 people last night. That's not good, dare I say almost unheard of for a Big Ten home game?

But kudos to those at the game. Crowd did everything they could to help keep Gophers engaged when things were headed South. Best thing Gophers did last night was hang around, they (primarily Coffey) didn't let the game get out of reach. Ultimately that gave them a shot.

Wow, I'm glad you couldn't tell there were that few people there on TV. The crowd sounded great on the broadcast. Looked like a really fun game to be at.

It's weird having this as our home league opener and then playing several lesser schools before we get back to league play: 8:00 and mid-week as well. Throw in last season. Am a little surprised, but pretty sure people will show up when league play resumes. Still a loud crowd when the Gophers gave them a reason to get loud.

The Timberwolves playing at home on the same night/time probably does not help attendance much either. It is what it is and is not unique to Gopher athletics, though our attendance is not as strong we'd like it to be.

The Wolves played across town and the Women's team had a home game in the early afternoon. I'm never worried about attendance at the Barn

The Wolves played across town and the Women's team had a home game in the early afternoon. I'm never worried about attendance at the Barn

Why not. Lots of tickets to lots of games not sold.

Wow, I'm glad you couldn't tell there were that few people there on TV. The crowd sounded great on the broadcast. Looked like a really fun game to be at.

I have been to quite a few Gophers games in my life(49y.o.) and that one ranks up there!!! Top 3

Agreed. We actually have pretty great attendance each year considering the quality of our program the last several decades.

Does anyone know - what is the ratio at the barn of seats allotted for students vs the general public? When I watch games at other arenas on TV, it seems like a lot of schools have bigger student sections, or more of the seating is filled by students - who tend to get louder and more demonstrative. As opposed to the older fans who sit there and maybe do the golf clap. Some places, it seems like half the crowd is students. Or maybe that's just the camera angles or shots that we're seeing on TV.

simplistic, maybe - but if people aren't buying the tickets, have some kind of rush seating for students. 30 minutes before tipoff, any unsold seats are offered to students for $10 or $15. Or, give students a discount if they bring a food item to donate to a food shelf, or something like that.

Does anyone know - what is the ratio at the barn of seats allotted for students vs the general public? When I watch games at other arenas on TV, it seems like a lot of schools have bigger student sections, or more of the seating is filled by students - who tend to get louder and more demonstrative. As opposed to the older fans who sit there and maybe do the golf clap. Some places, it seems like half the crowd is students. Or maybe that's just the camera angles or shots that we're seeing on TV.

simplistic, maybe - but if people aren't buying the tickets, have some kind of rush seating for students. 30 minutes before tipoff, any unsold seats are offered to students for $10 or $15. Or, give students a discount if they bring a food item to donate to a food shelf, or something like that.
I've read that the athletic department wants the students behind the basket as opposed to behind the benches, like many other schools. They don't want the conflict and escalation that has occurred at these other schools.

I suspect the timing (finals and final projects) was a factor in lower student turnout. Generally the barnyard is full, it's just less noticeable because of where the student section is located in relation to TV angles.
If you recall the 3 point shot Coffey made near the end of the game, you saw him turn and run to the student section while screaming. He was followed by Orturo.
Weds, 8pm start time, before Christmas, etc., just lead to a lower attendance.
I agree with others...it sounded loud on TV.

Top Bottom