MN Daily: Gabe Kalscheur's hot hand making an impact in freshman season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

Before the season, many outside the program expected Gabe Kalscheur to serve primarily as a role player for Minnesota. However, just a month into his freshman campaign, he's proven himself as one of the team's most valuable weapons.

Kalscheur, a freshman from Edina, Minnesota, has started every game for the Gophers this season. Few foresaw Kalscheur getting an opportunity to start immediately, but his stellar play and attention to detail earned him a spot among the lineup.

"It's hard to trust freshmen," said head coach Richard Pitino. "They do a lot of wacky things. They're young, it takes time. That's normal. But with [Kalscheur], he just doesn't act that way. Every little thing in practice is important to him. If it's a stretch, if it's making a layup, free throw shooting drills, whatever it is, it's very important to him and he doesn't take it lightly."

Among coaches and teammates, Kalscheur's maturity has stood out and impressed those who watch him practice every day.

"We tell him to shoot 50 free throws after practice," Pitino said to reporters earlier this season. "Gabe has a routine where he dribbles it twice and then when he shoots it, make or miss, he blows a kiss to the heavens. He does it every time when he practices. I sat there and I filmed it, he didn't know I was watching. And it's just discipline: every single day, every rep that he does, he's going to take it seriously."

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2018...-hot-hand-making-an-impact-in-freshman-season

Go Gophers!!

He had a quiet, but nice game last night. Kid is solid.

He did a really nice job of putting the ball on the deck and driving (and finishing) last night. That’s an element that had to come, glad to see it developing this early in the season. He knows he can’t be one dimensional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is fundamentally solid and disciplined. Hopefully his leadership will rub off on his teammates (read: Isaiah Washington and Jarvis Omersa).

He is fundamentally solid and disciplined. Hopefully his leadership will rub off on his teammates (read: Isaiah Washington and Jarvis Omersa).

What in your eyes has Omersa done wrong? I get he isn't great but he is a project and we knew that coming in. Seems to work hard, is engaged in the game, cheers on the bench, congratulates teammates...not sure what else he can do. I suppose he could carry a towel and wipe up spots on the floor as he sees fit?

He has been really, really good this season. Seems like he knows how to play the game.

Gabe will have a great Gopher career, wishing him good health and success!

What in your eyes has Omersa done wrong? I get he isn't great but he is a project and we knew that coming in. Seems to work hard, is engaged in the game, cheers on the bench, congratulates teammates...not sure what else he can do. I suppose he could carry a towel and wipe up spots on the floor as he sees fit?
Nothing wrong. It seems that he and Washington have come in without disciplined, fundamental skill training. They have relied upon natural talent and just playing. Kalscheur views his game by addressing fundamental skill building. His high school coach should be applauded for building that training process.
Omersa seems to have relied upon his athleticism and his coaches just went with it.

Nothing wrong. It seems that he and Washington have come in without disciplined, fundamental skill training. They have relied upon natural talent and just playing. Kalscheur views his game by addressing fundamental skill building. His high school coach should be applauded for building that training process.
Omersa seems to have relied upon his athleticism and his coaches just went with it.

As I said, he came in as a project. If Curry was healthy, Omersa would be a 20/20/20 (up/down/seconds remaining) guy. But he has to play. He works hard. Your post implied he needed to learn leadership qualities. Maybe he does but he has shown nothing to me that makes think that. To say he needs to be more disciplined or better is fair, but that isn’t what you said.

Top Bottom