Defense REALLY Sucks; How To Possibly Fix It

watertown 1987 guy n

Reaction score
Gopher Defense Doesn't Stack Up

Ok, the Gophers did enough to win last night but this team is in serious trouble if they think they only have to play defense for the last 7 minutes of the game. Recall the Ohio St. game where they were destroyed? Look at the stats further down - our opponent field goal and 3-pt field goal percentage sucks vs. the other Big 10 teams up to this point of the season - THAT is on our defense!

What I saw last night is a team that has no urgency with position defense (until the last 7 minutes). Our guards spent most of the night (w/ some exception to Kalseur) following other teams guards and forwards around the half court offense. Excluding the pass into the paint, Nebraska was able to rotate the ball around the offense uninterrupted. In fact, I'm pretty sure the Gophers didn't stop the first choice perimeter to perimeter pass in Nebraska's offense until one point during the last 7 minutes of the game. I actually noticed it because it seemed odd and then I realized I hadn't seen it all night - during the last 7 minutes the Gopher players were actually trying to disrupt the flow of Nebraska's offense by taking away passes on the perimeter.

During the first 5-8 minutes of the game Nebraska was on fire offensively - they shot 100% to take what I think was a 14-4 lead. Coach took a time out and the Gophers stepped it up a bit to close out ahead to end the first half, but they fell back into the crappy defense routine to start the 2nd half and at one point were behind by 12 maybe 14 points, again the team started playing better defense to close to 7-8 points with 7 minutes left. They really busted their humps the last 7 minutes or so and took the lead at about the 4 minute mark. For anyone that watched the game the change in defensive intensity, was night and day. The likelihood of this team finishing in the top half of the Big 10 is VERY low if they only play defense for 10 minutes of the game.

The fix can be made. Pitino needs to hold McBrayer and Coffee accountable for better position defense - not just Washington. What they need to do? Disclaimer, I have no illusion that I was a supper coach but my teams always played great defense. My coaching rule and what I think this team needs to do to play better defense is:
  • Bust a hump staying between your man and the basket when they don't have the ball
  • Be in close enough position w/ your guy that you can have a hand in the passing lane (while body is still between man and basket) - Disrupt the flow and timing of their offense.
  • Don't settle for being 1-2 steps behind on defense in a motion offense, bust a hump at get in position "now!"

I didn't see any of the above until the last 7 minutes of the game. I didn't know exactly what was missing from this team until I saw it at the end. For most of the game the Gopher's defense lacked energy and urgency. If they don't fix it they will get beat bad by many Big10 teams because their offense isn't spectacular, its ok but not spectacular. Take a look at the below to see how big an issue this is for the Gophers. We're last among the top 11 teams in the BIG10 for opposing team field goal percentage.

Big Apposing TEams.jpg

Attachments

• Opposing Teams.jpg
    Opposing Teams.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Ok, the Gophers did enough to win last night but this team is in serious trouble if they think they only have to play defense for the last 7 minutes of the game. Recall the Ohio St. game where they were destroyed? Look at the stats further down - our opponent field goal and 3-pt field goal percentage sucks vs. the other Big 10 teams up to this point of the season - THAT is on our defense!

What I saw last night is a team that has no urgency with position defense (until the last 7 minutes). Our guards spent most of the night (w/ some exception to Kalseur) following other teams guards and forwards around the half court offense. Excluding the pass into the paint, Nebraska was able to rotate the ball around the offense uninterrupted. In fact, I'm pretty sure the Gophers didn't stop the first choice perimeter to perimeter pass in Nebraska's offense until one point during the last 7 minutes of the game. I actually noticed it because it seemed odd and then I realized I hadn't seen it all night - during the last 7 minutes the Gopher players were actually trying to disrupt the flow of Nebraska's offense by taking away passes on the perimeter.

During the first 5-8 minutes of the game Nebraska was on fire offensively - they shot 100% to take what I think was a 14-4 lead. Coach took a time out and the Gophers stepped it up a bit to close out ahead to end the first half, but they fell back into the crappy defense routine to start the 2nd half and at one point were behind by 12 maybe 14 points, again the team started playing better defense to close to 7-8 points with 7 minutes left. They really busted their humps the last 7 minutes or so and took the lead at about the 4 minute mark. For anyone that watched the game the change in defensive intensity, was night and day. The likelihood of this team finishing in the top half of the Big 10 is VERY low if they only play defense for 10 minutes of the game.

The fix can be made. Pitino needs to hold McBrayer and Coffee accountable for better position defense - not just Washington. What they need to do? Disclaimer, I have no illusion that I was a supper coach but my teams always played great defense. My coaching rule and what I think this team needs to do to play better defense is:
  • Bust a hump staying between your man and the basket when they don't have the ball
  • Be in close enough position w/ your guy that you can have a hand in the passing lane (while body is still between man and basket) - Disrupt the flow and timing of their offense.
  • Don't settle for being 1-2 steps behind on defense in a motion offense, bust a hump at get in position "now!"

I didn't see any of the above until the last 7 minutes of the game. I didn't know exactly what was missing from this team until I saw it at the end. For most of the game the Gopher's defense lacked energy and urgency. If they don't fix it they will get beat bad by many Big10 teams because their offense isn't spectacular, its ok but not spectacular. Take a look at the below to see how big an issue this is for the Gophers. We're last among the top 11 teams in the BIG10 for opposing team field goal percentage.

View attachment 5911

You are 100% correct. Our defensive effort for most of the game and most of the season, leaves a lot to be desired. We make most teams very comfortable in their offense. That has to get fixed. It's not an accident that teams are shooting 10 percentage points less against Michigan.

View attachment 5911

Say what, did you watch the game, the two that excelled defensively last night were McBrayer and Coffey, Kalschuer is decent but he doesn't have the athletic ability of the other two, I don't remember anyone playing any better than Coffey did on defense last night, I'll take that any time.

How about aggressively going after loose balls on the floor, including long rebounds? Many times we stand around and look, waiting for someone else to get the ball. Or guards are leaking out early to go on the break before securing the loose ball. Those lost possessions turn into second chance points for opponents. We can't afford those in close games.

During the first 5-8 minutes of the game Nebraska was on fire offensively - they shot 100% to take what I think was a 14-4 lead. Coach took a time out and the Gophers stepped it up a bit to close out ahead to end the first half, but they fell back into the crappy defense routine to start the 2nd half and at one point were behind by 12 maybe 14 points, again the team started playing better defense to close to 7-8 points with 7 minutes left.
Good post - what is particularly concerning is that the starters were on the floor during those times.

Say what, did you watch the game, the two that excelled defensively last night were McBrayer and Coffey, Kalschuer is decent but he doesn't have the athletic ability of the other two, I don't remember anyone playing any better than Coffey did on defense last night, I'll take that any time.

Agree that Coffee had some nice moments on D when he started to get really jacked up and with him out w/ 3 fouls the 1st half the offense was completely lost. However, he does not play 40 minutes of hard nosed basketball - no one on this team does that. That is the problem and if not fixed this team will be a 500 team at best in the Big10 and lose the first game in the dance.

Agree that Coffee had some nice moments on D when he started to get really jacked up and with him out w/ 3 fouls the 1st half the offense was completely lost. However, he does not play 40 minutes of hard nosed basketball - no one on this team does that. That is the problem and if not fixed this team will be a 500 team at best in the Big10 and lose the first game in the dance.

Kalscheur plays hard nosed basketball the whole time. I hope he becomes the leader the next 3 years. If he can get others with higher athletic upside to follow him in terms of playing the game right- then you have something. He plays position defense. He learns quickly. Coach talked to him about driving the basketball to the hoop- boom, last night he gets all of his points off drives.

Coffey was terrific last night (he won the game for us for sure) and I hope this is the beginning of more to come. However, there are still a lot of things he does that I think hurts team play. He over dribbles and can become a black hole on offense, he bull rushes in situations where he should pull up or pass, his defense is off and on and his rebounding is not near what a 6'7" guy of his ability should be. If he wants to be NBA level, he is going to have to be a consistent junk yard dog on defense and a great passer. Good stuff from him last night though, he did put the team on his back.

How about aggressively going after loose balls on the floor, including long rebounds? Many times we stand around and look, waiting for someone else to get the ball. Or guards are leaking out early to go on the break before securing the loose ball. Those lost possessions turn into second chance points for opponents. We can't afford those in close games.

I noticed that as well, especially when Murphy was not on the floor. He is so good at grabbing rebounds that some of the other guys might have lost a bit whatever edge they had in that department because they are so used to him gobbling up any rebounds that are close.

Kalscheur plays hard nosed basketball the whole time. I hope he becomes the leader the next 3 years. If he can get others with higher athletic upside to follow him in terms of playing the game right- then you have something. He plays position defense. He learns quickly. Coach talked to him about driving the basketball to the hoop- boom, last night he gets all of his points off drives.

Coffey was terrific last night (he won the game for us for sure) and I hope this is the beginning of more to come. However, there are still a lot of things he does that I think hurts team play. He over dribbles and can become a black hole on offense, he bull rushes in situations where he should pull up or pass, his defense is off and on and his rebounding is not near what a 6'7" guy of his ability should be. If he wants to be NBA level, he is going to have to be a consistent junk yard dog on defense and a great passer. Good stuff from him last night though, he did put the team on his back.

Perfectly stated. I think Gabe us playing very well for a Fr.

I also feel Omersa is playing better D as well. Seems to be getting it. A lot of work needed on offense, no doubt.

We are much better defensively than we were last year. We made defensive adjustments over the course of the game. The last eight minutes of the game displayed excellent defense by the Gophers. Defense is not our greatest problem area. Valuing every offensive possession is our greatest flaw. We turn the ball over far too often. It kills our consistency and forces us to rely upon big streaks.

I wish we could deflect more balls and get more steals. Open court baskets are so much easier than getting a score against a set defense.

We are much better defensively than we were last year. We made defensive adjustments over the course of the game. The last eight minutes of the game displayed excellent defense by the Gophers. Defense is not our greatest problem area. Valuing every offensive possession is our greatest flaw. We turn the ball over far too often. It kills our consistency and forces us to rely upon big streaks.

TO's and Rebounding were significantly more of a worry of mine than our team defense. Pitino (I give Jeter credit here too) has done better making in game adjustments this year than I have seen in any year in the past. I was appalled by how poor our rebounding (defensively specifically) was until the final 7 minutes in the game. TO's will get better as the year goes and the offensive continuity improves. Game is still just a little too fast for Oturo (hence his traveling violations), but he'll get better. Some cupcake games will hopefully allow some more minutes to other guys so they can start getting in a rhythm.

Top Bottom