The Gophers RPI is:

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score

Now at 7 and 2, their RPI is 7.

Roasted Pepper Ingredients?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It’s also not a metric the selection committee will use any more, so no matter how high it is, it won’t help us come March.

Sure. But it doesn’t mean it isn’t relevant. Whatever they use isn’t so far from RPI that it means nothing.

Sure. But it doesn’t mean it isn’t relevant. Whatever they use isn’t so far from RPI that it means nothing.

It actually does count for nothing, The NCAA website explains all the tools that will be used.

There was a scathing comment from Nate Silver about the new NCAA formula but I cant find the link. He said something to the effect that you couldn't concoct a more statistically inappropriate metric if you tried. Said it was ludicrously bad.

There was a scathing comment from Nate Silver about the new NCAA formula but I cant find the link. He said something to the effect that you couldn't concoct a more statistically inappropriate metric if you tried. Said it was ludicrously bad.

Silver has been on record along with a consensus of coaches in supporting the USE of Kenpom. It measures OE and DE per possession, exactly how you play and against who.

Silver has been on record along with a consensus of coaches in supporting the USE of Kenpom. It measures OE and DE per possession, exactly how you play and against who.

I hate using metrics for setting tournament fields that involve OE and DE, or margin of victory for that matter. What is supposed to matter in competitive sports is whether you win or lose the game, not how you looked doing it.

FYI, i think the Gophers are much better than 52 and with Curry will climb Kenpom. The OE and DE PERFORMANCE is updated everyday and those two categories lead directly to a teams win losses. You never miss the tourney with a top 25 Kenpom ! It shows exactly how your playing. Look at the top 20 and those teams are playing really good basketball. It takes out a fans bias or the wishes of what they want. Measuring what you score and give up every possession is what coaches look for. Do it over a period of time and there is not a single outlier in wins and losses.

FYI, i think the Gophers are much better than 52 and with Curry will climb Kenpom. The OE and DE PERFORMANCE is updated everyday and those two categories lead directly to a teams win losses. You never miss the tourney with a top 25 Kenpom ! It shows exactly how your playing. Look at the top 20 and those teams are playing really good basketball. It takes out a fans bias or the wishes of what they want. Measuring what you score and give up every possession is what coaches look for. Do it over a period of time and there is not a single outlier in wins and losses.

Yes but that rarely happened with top 25 rpi teams either. The highest rpi teams to miss the tourney were a #21 Missouri state (only top 25 miss), #29 Colorado State, #30 Air Force, Hofstra. Highest power 6 to miss was # 40 Cincinnati.

How did RPI include fan bias?

I'm not arguing for RPI i just don't know what the best measurement system is.

Yes but that rarely happened with top 25 rpi teams either. The highest rpi teams to miss the tourney were a #21 Missouri state (only top 25 miss), #29 Colorado State, #30 Air Force, Hofstra. Highest power 6 to miss was # 40 Cincinnati.

How did RPI include fan bias?

I'm not arguing for RPI i just don't know what the best measurement system is.

Our RPI will also drop no matter what happens in our next 4 games. A lot of it is based on who you play. Since our next 4 games are against mostly mega-cupcakes it will drop simply based on who we are playing. I don't know what the best metric out there is, but I know it's not RPI. Since the selection committee won't even see our RPI there's really no reason to look at it.

Here are the ranking systems the committee looks at and where the Gophers stand in each:

NET - 65
KenPom - 53
Sagarin - 52
KPI - don't believe this one has been computed yet for the 2018-19 season
ESPN BPI - 57
ESPN Strength of Record - 25

Our RPI will also drop no matter what happens in our next 4 games. A lot of it is based on who you play. Since our next 4 games are against mostly mega-cupcakes it will drop simply based on who we are playing. I don't know what the best metric out there is, but I know it's not RPI. Since the selection committee won't even see our RPI there's really no reason to look at it.

Here are the ranking systems the committee looks at and where the Gophers stand in each:

NET - 65
KenPom - 53
Sagarin - 52
KPI - don't believe this one has been computed yet for the 2018-19 season
ESPN BPI - 57
ESPN Strength of Record - 25

I hate ESPN BPI metric 4 of thos top 6 schools are from the acc. this happens every year

RPI is officially considered worthless. Not used by NCAA. OE and DE rankings now are playing the role they always should have.

RPI as a way of ranking teams early was fine. It doesn't matter in November as they count for nothing. As the season goes along the Kenpom or t-rank is the way to go. T-Rank may be more accurate with more data. The problem is any ranking system relies on one set of analytics and observation to the exclusion of other measurables at times. This is why I like T-rank and Kenpom. Drop the RPI talk as it is obsolete after a few games. You might just as well know the real facts rather than the just the way you want them to be.

road tests at wisconsin,michigan and mich st loom on the horizon all 3 likely in the top 10 when minnesota plays them and game vs indiana at home as well.We'll see how they deal with those teams.schedule strength won't be a issue

Last edited:

Kind of sucks that this is the season the NCAA gave up on RPI as it would benefit the Gophers and the rest of the B1G a great deal this season if they still used the RPI as no other conference comes even close to having as favorable of an overall RPI as the B1G has. And it's strange to me that they went from basing their decisions so heavily on the RPI to dropping it completely, but outside of how it would benefit the Gophers, I say, GOOD RIDDANCE, and it's about frigging time!!! RPI has to be one of the worst analytic rating systems ever devised.

Eh, let's start the Big Ten season (in earnest) already!

I don't care whether we win or lose the games we just have to keep our OE and DE solid.

I don't care whether we win or lose the games we just have to keep our OE and DE solid.

That’s all Purdue is doing. They’ve lost every game against teams of relevance and yet still #34 in the NET. They don’t win but hey they try hard.

Last edited:

If they are in the top 20 in both, you win a ton of games and contend for conference titles. Track that data and no one, and i mean no one misses the NCAA tourney. Or suck at defense, go 10-2 for now and then stay bad at defense and see if you win the conference.

Top Bottom