Point Guard - Stull

Stull's stats at UWM compare very favorably with Spring's. More mpg, more ppg, better 3p%. Hard to know why his bigbten transition has been rocky.

Out of shape is the biggest reason. He is a shooter not a primary ball handler, and yes, not nearly the athlete that Springs was.

We've learned from both Stull and Matz, and maybe to a lesser extent, Crandall, that grad transfers may not be all they are cracked up to be if the players are not really ready to graduate with a reasonable number of credits in the summer. Both Matz and Stull had so much academic work to do, they could not play ball and come in months behind in conditioning and likely other skill components. Six, eight or ten summer classes is a boatload of work every where but North Carolina. If they have so much academic work to do that they can't properly focus on basketball, is it worth it? Would we have been better off aggressively recruiting a Juco willing to be a supplemental player?

All that said, Akeem had a rough preseason and really didn't come on until the B1G season. I'm hoping the same is true for Stull. Not ready to throw him under the bus. We need shooting, and that is his strength.

Out of shape is the biggest reason. He is a shooter not a primary ball handler, and yes, not nearly the athlete that Springs was.

We've learned from both Stull and Matz, and maybe to a lesser extent, Crandall, that grad transfers may not be all they are cracked up to be if the players are not really ready to graduate with a reasonable number of credits in the summer. Both Matz and Stull had so much academic work to do, they could not play ball and come in months behind in conditioning and likely other skill components. Six, eight or ten summer classes is a boatload of work every where but North Carolina. If they have so much academic work to do that they can't properly focus on basketball, is it worth it? Would we have been better off aggressively recruiting a Juco willing to be a supplemental player?

All that said, Akeem had a rough preseason and really didn't come on until the B1G season. I'm hoping the same is true for Stull. Not ready to throw him under the bus. We need shooting, and that is his strength.

Even with all of that course work, I have a tough time believing that can't play some pickup ball in their spare time? Is the only way for them to stay in shape is via team activities?

Even with all of that course work, I have a tough time believing that can't play some pickup ball in their spare time? Is the only way for them to stay in shape is via team activities?

Right. Would also have some of August and all of September to work on conditioning - summe school classes would be complete. Just seems strange.

I think it's pretty clear by now that Stull is not going to be the answer at PG. We may have seen enough already to know that Stull's game is spotting up from distance and giving Dupree/Gabe/Amir a breather from time to time. That's not to say he cannot be a valuable asset to this team, as we have seen in the past he can stretch the defense and knock down the three ball. He just needs to relish his role of being a solid 3 point shooter and doing what he can to be an effective defender and make smart plays offensively, while not turning it over. It would be beneficial to both the team and Stull to play him extended minutes these next few non-conference games so that he can hopefully get more comfortable with his new teammates. Hoping he can provide solid minutes for us in conference play, and play more like the guy we saw at Milwaukee.

Last edited:

It's a real mystery... A quick google image search and you can see he does not look much like the strong/lean guy he was was during his days at UW-M.

I wonder if he wasn't working also, it would have been a dream to only worry about school and working out over the course of the school week, I don't know what I would have done with my time, work always took up as much or more time than school work for me.

I concur. I know Pitino mentioned that his departure from UWM took his athlete privileges and access to facilities away and that can be part of it. If he had to work to pay for the classes that his Milwaukee scholarship no longer paid for, that could be part of it as well. Pick up ball and a few miles of running a day could have kept him in shape, though, and it seems like our conditioning people could have given him some At Home Workout suggestions. As mentioned above, he looks a lot heavier than he was last year. That can't help.

There has to be pick up games all over gyms in Milwaukee that he could connect with too. Something's not adding up here. D-1 athletes should be able to stay in reasonable shape in off times with any kind of motivation at all.

It's a real mystery... A quick google image search and you can see he does not look much like the strong/lean guy he was was during his days at UW-M.

Wow. His body comparison from UWM career to today does not paint a flattering picture...

Top Bottom