Point Guard - Stull

WadeHokenson

Reaction score
Wasn't Stull seen as a PG during his recruitment/commitment here? I can't tell what type of player he is...seems like an odd grad transfer type player here if he's supposedly PG-type and not playing there at all.

Hopefully he can fill a role down the stretch and provide some type of ballhandling/outside shooting...if not, this squad is in big time trouble. I feel like Murphy is the lone person that can absolutely be relied on, but he's in so much foul trouble even that is in question.

I feel like we lead the nation in turnovers and a ton of them look like being simply overmatched with the ball in our hands.

It's been said numerous times that Stull wasn't in shape yet. I mention this because he does not look like he belongs on the basketball court. He looks more out of place than Hurt out there in terms of how he moves on the court. Considering I believe Rob Jeter coached him, it's a shockingly bad addition unless there is an injury we don't know about. He has to be "in shape" by this time.

He is too slow for this level. Turnover machine

He looks absolutely nothing like he did at UW-Miluwakee athletically speaking.

No reason why he couldn't have been another Springs and was actually slightly better than Springs was at Milwaukee in terms of rebounding and 3 point shooting.

He needs these next couple of games to get confidence. Looked ok in the first couple and now is scary af

This can’t be real. He looks awful passing and handling the ball.

I’d push to get him 15+ minutes per game the rest of the non-conference and see if he can get it figured out

He looks like he could run the point at the local fitness center. Richard said he reminded him of Joey King. I'd take that, but I don't see it.

He looks like he could run the point at the local fitness center. Richard said he reminded him of Joey King. I'd take that, but I don't see it.

Joey trying to play PG. That sounds pretty accurate.

Funny story about Joey King.

Former Gophers WR Ron Johnson was on KFAN recently. I think with Henry Lake. Anyway, Johnson tells funny gym stories via Twitter. He works out at lifetime. Was hooping with some dudes and was being checked by a lanky, tall white dude. Started taking it to him pretty good. Finally, the dude trips him. Johnson tells him that is garbage, keeps hooping. Few possessions later the dude shoves him. Johnson takes him to the ground, tells him to knock that crap off. After the game someone tells him its Joey King. Few days later they are on the same team and dominate.

Long story short, Stull can’t play PG

I think he could be third string of a committee at PG while Coffey and Washington share the starting job.

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk

He is too slow for this level. Turnover machine

Slow, OK, like Pitino's staff did not know that.... does not add up at all ,unless this guy starts knocking down 3s at an insane level soon.... right now this guy looks like me at age 33 in pick up games as noted in another thread

Talk of him at PG is ridiculous. However, we need to figure out his role going forward, as we need his outside shooting. He is a pretty good passer and a smart player, but as we have all seen, quickness is not his virtue. He really needs some serious minutes with the starters against upcoming scrub teams. We will need him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think his sole potential value is shooting threes. Until he settles down, relaxes, exhibits some semblance of confidence we won’t know if he can fulfill that role. Right now he just looks too nervous to assess anything.

He is a pretty good passer and a smart player

This has not bore out. He tried to lose the game in the 2nd half at the 1:00 mark with a bad pass that should have been a turnover.

All we need from a PG in the rotation is some decent ball handling and passing. I've seen some shaky ball care moments from Stull but also some solid moments. Too early to tell right now, but the key factor is if he can consistently navigate the press. Stull won't be able to drive much in the half court, but a combo with Coffey, McBrayer and Kalscheur will provide that. A long-range shooter like Stull to stretch the floor is actually more important when you have strong post game with guys like Murphy and Oturu plus a slasher like Coffey. It really doesn't really matter if you consistently have a lineup that "looks the part" in a traditional sense at each position, so long as you have a nice mix of shooting, slashing, and inside play.

We saw a good blueprint for 2018-19 Gopher success against Nebraska last night: Murphy and Oturu get their usual share of buckets and rebounds inside + Coffey taking the lead role and slashing to the hoop like crazy with a little bit of McBrayer and Kalscheur slashing sprinkled in + a little bit of Coffey, McBrayer, Kalscheur hitting three pointers at a decent rate (10-15 team attempts per game is probably the sweet spot) + decent bit play from Stockman, Hurt, Washington, Omersa, and Stull.

It really comes down to how assertive Coffey and Murphy are, as we saw tonight. When that happens, Washington and Stull simply need to manage the game and not sabotage things.

Last edited:

This has not bore out. He tried to lose the game in the 2nd half at the 1:00 mark with a bad pass that should have been a turnover.

That was the potential game loser play. Lucked out.

Yep. Pree fouled out and he came in and almost instantly blew the whole thing... that was scary bad.

Correct. VERY fortunate they got the ball back and scored with it

All we need from a PG in the rotation is some decent ball handling and passing. I've seen some shaky ball care moments from Stull but also some solid moments. Too early to tell right now, but the key factor is if he can consistently navigate the press. Stull won't be able to drive much in the half court, but a combo with Coffey, McBrayer and Kalscheur will provide that. A long-range shooter like Stull to stretch the floor is actually more important when you have strong post game with guys like Murphy and Oturu plus a slasher like Coffey. It really doesn't really matter if you consistently have a lineup that "looks the part" in a traditional sense at each position, so long as you have a nice mix of shooting, slashing, and inside play.

We saw a good blueprint for 2018-19 Gopher success against Nebraska last night: Murphy and Oturu get their usual share of buckets and rebounds inside + Coffey taking the lead role and slashing to the hoop like crazy with a little bit of McBrayer and Kalscheur slashing sprinkled in + a little bit of Coffey, McBrayer, Kalscheur hitting three pointers at a decent rate (10-15 team attempts per game is probably the sweet spot) + decent bit play from Stockman, Hurt, Washington, Omersa, and Stull.

It really comes down to how assertive Coffey and Murphy are, as we saw tonight. When that happens, Washington and Stull simply need to manage the game and not sabotage things.

Add Washington to the list of slashers as the season progresses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stull doesn't have power 5 conference athleticism. Unless he is on fire from 3 and we can get him shots, he is a liability out there.

I would also like to see Stull get some playing time in the non-conference games to see where he can fit. It may be just as a spot up shooter against zones -- but we desperately need someone who can knock down some outside shots. Maybe he's smart enough to know how to move to open spots against a zone, not just stand in front of the guy guarding him. Our other players don't seem to have a feel for this or the ability to hit outside shots consistently except for Kalscheur.

Agreed. Last night was not a night for the learners to work out their stuff. Our stars needed to show dominance. The next few games will be helpful particularly for Washington,Omersa, Stockman and Stull.

Agreed. Last night was not a night for the learners to work out their stuff. Our stars needed to show dominance. The next few games will be helpful particularly for Washington,Omersa, Stockman and Stull.

Stull frankly scares me; there have been multiple games where he makes a soft pass to the weak side where it is either stolen or nearly stolen. If he gained a bunch of weight they need to give him weight targets that he needs to meet before playing.

Stull's stats at UWM compare very favorably with Spring's. More mpg, more ppg, better 3p%. Hard to know why his bigbten transition has been rocky.

Stull's stats at UWM compare very favorably with Spring's. More mpg, more ppg, better 3p%. Hard to know why his bigbten transition has been rocky.
Difference: Springs was a good athlete. Stull is a chubby white guy with no..."springs." [emoji16]

Top Bottom