Rumor of BT wanting Texas and Oklahoma expansion targets in 2024/2025

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

For the sake of the fans, I wish the NCAA would put a stop to all of this nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!
Sure beats Maryland and Rutgers. Can we jettison the East coast for the South?

For the sake of the fans, I wish the NCAA would put a stop to all of this nonsense.

The NCAA has no ability to tell conferences what to do

They should make two divisions to the Big 10- the Real Big 10 and then random teams in the Big 10 and then just never play each other.

No expansion. Add Mizzou and kick Rutgers out.

I'd drop both Rutgers and Maryland and add Notre Dame, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Is Kansas a research university, because you have to be to be in the conference. Texas makes sense for the Pac 10. Notre Dame signed a airtight deal with the ACC that gave them independence in football and Hockey but locked them in to 5 ACC football games annually for a very long time with the largest buyout imaginable. Otherwise they are a full fledged member. This is not my opinion but public fact found in research. Notre Dame will not be joining the Big 10, they sought out the deal with the ACC.

I'd drop both Rutgers and Maryland and add Notre Dame, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Norte Dame loves their ACC membership in everything but football. For football they get the 5 games vs ACC schools. Then they have their annual games vs USC, Stanford & Navy. Throw in 2 games vs B1G schools, then they only have to buy 2 other games. And they still keep the NBC money.

I'd rather try to add Missouri and Texas.

The Gold Standard for joining the B1G is usually required membership in the American Association of Universities. The only current school not in the AAU is Nebraska, which was a member from 1908-2011. They removed themselves as a protest statement to how the AAU grades their schools research.

The closest AAU schools with major sports to the B1G geographically are:

Pittsburgh
Iowa State
Colorado
Missouri
Kansas

A little further:
Vanderbilt
Texas
UNC
Virginia
Duke

Oklahoma doesn't meet the academic research requirements to meet B1G standards. But they do provide serious viewers for the B1G channel.

Texas and Notre Dame both have their own Network Deals and currently do not share those TV dollars with anyone. No chance they would give that up to help pay other B1G schools.

None of these other schools have the Football programs necessary enough to really increase revenues. Although Kansas would bring a huge basketball draw.

Colorado would help by bringing their hockey team at least.

Last edited:

I don't like that the Big Ten would be further distancing themselves from its Midwestern identity. This conference is already way too big due to greed on the conferences part. Having two divisions has been very unbalanced for football.

I'd rather try to add Missouri and Texas.

The Gold Standard for joining the B1G is usually required membership in the American Association of Universities. The only current school not in the AAU is Nebraska, which was a member from 1908-2011. They removed themselves as a protest statement to how the AAU grades their schools research.

The closest AAU schools with major sports to the B1G geographically are:

Pittsburgh
Iowa State
Colorado
Missouri
Kansas

A little further:
Vanderbilt
Texas
UNC
Virginia
Duke

Oklahoma doesn't meet the academic research requirements to meet B1G standards. But they do provide serious viewers for the B1G channel.

Texas and Notre Dame both have their own Network Deals and currently do not share those TV dollars with anyone. No chance they would give that up to help pay other B1G schools.

None of these other schools have the Football programs necessary enough to really increase revenues. Although Kansas would bring a huge basketball draw.

Colorado would help by bringing their hockey team at least.

I'm not a fan of adding more teams unless we could get rid of Rutgers, but I think it is an interesting conversation. Eventually I think there will be four power conferences, so it will be inevitable that some schools are looking for a dance partner. If I had to bet on it I'd guess the Big 12 will fold sometime in the next decade and there will be a good deal of movement when they do.

This may seem odd, but out of that list I think Vanderbilt makes a lot of sense.

I realize Vandy doesn't add a ton from a TV viewership standpoint (though the Nashville market isn't tiny), and obviously doesn't make much geographic sense. But they are kind of the odd duck in the SEC, and from an academic/research perspective they match well with the current B1G schools. Plus Nashville would be an awesome road trip.

Of that list, to me Texas is unrealistic and I don't want to deal with all the special privileges they would demand. Duke and UNC would never leave the ACC. I think Iowa would probably throw a fit if we invited Iowa State, plus the Cyclones don't really add anything to the TV market. I could see Penn State being okay with Pitt joining the B1G, but not really sure.

None of the rest are all that exciting to me. If I have to pick then give me two of Vandy, Mizzou, and Colorado.

Last edited:

Unless we're kicking Penn State out too, keeping at least one other east coast school makes sense. Maryland is an excellent school and brings two huge media markets (Baltimore and DC) into the conference.

If they're actually going to expand, Mizzou and UVa would make the most sense. Mizzou adds the KC and St. Louis markets and has a rivalry with Illinois. UVa has a great rivalry with Maryland and would add Richmond/Norfolk etc. But I don't think UVa will leave the ACC and they probably have to drag VT along with them if they do.

Top Bottom