Big Ten Expansion - 2024/2025 - Texas and Oklahoma

Remember, a B1G school has to meet the research and academic standards in order to join the conference. I think Texas and Oklahoma do, but someone like Florida State has no chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If Nebraska managed to slip in, anything is possible.

Last edited:

Trust me on this....Texas does NOT play well with others in the sandbox. They tore apart the old SWC and forced many
solid schools to leave the Big XII. Do NOT include Texas.

If any are to be added, then they should
1. Be geographically near the current boundaries, and
2. Make no more than 2^4 = 16 teams.

B1G should go after UVA and UNC. Minnesota's academic brand has been diluted by all of these additions. Would rather see B1G drop Nebraska and pick up UVA/UNC. Further dilution by adding OU is just going to hurt our national perception.

Last edited:

If we are going to have protected games I think we should get Rutgers, Illinois, and Indiana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+

Nebraska left the BIG XII because of Texas. Missouri and Arkansas...same. A&M...same.

Nebraska will have dry heaves if they find out UT is back in their league

If we are going to have protected games I think we should get Rutgers, Illinois, and Indiana.

I'm game with this if we go to the local suburban trophy shop to have rivalry trophies built for each matchup that stand the test of time like the landgrant trophy and the famous Governors Victory Bell which has only been broken once so far.

B1G should go after UVA and UNC. Minnesota's academic brand has been diluted by all of these additions. Would rather see B1G drop Nebraska and pick up UVA/UNC. Further dilution by adding OU is just going to hurt our national perception.

I think UVA and UNC were both courted last time but both stuck last minute with ACC.

Maybe it was never that close, but I believe it was the case.

His source which he calls Big Ten Man. Take all this with a huge grain of salt. There were plenty last time that said Texas and Notre Dame were a done deal....
Thank you.

Yeah and Pittsburgh and Cincinnati another time I remember...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think UVA and UNC were both courted last time but both stuck last minute with ACC.

Maybe it was never that close, but I believe it was the case.

Maybe but the only real reason to add Rutgers and Maryland was for access to UVA and UNC re: contiguous states policy.

Texas would be a nice add from an academics perspective, but it's not worth adding OU to get to them.

Delaney needs to finish the job out East. Adding Rutgers and Maryland was completely pointless unless he gets UNC/UVA.

The B1G conference only accepts schools that are members of the AAU. Here is a list of the schools. Nebraska was a member when they were accepted into the conference, but has dropped off since then.

Boston University
Brandeis University
Brown University
California Institute of Technology
Carnegie Mellon University
Case Western Reserve University
Columbia University
Cornell University
Duke University
Emory University
Georgia Institute of Technology
Harvard University
Indiana University Bloomington
Iowa State University
Johns Hopkins University
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
McGill University
Michigan State University
New York University
Northwestern University
The Ohio State University
Pennsylvania State University
Princeton University
Purdue University
Rice University
Rutgers University–New Brunswick
Stanford University
Stony Brook University
Texas A&M University
Tulane University
The University of Arizona
The State University of New York at Buffalo
University of California, Berkeley
University of California, Davis
University of California, Irvine
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, San Diego
University of California, Santa Barbara
The University of Chicago
University of Colorado Boulder
University of Florida
University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign
The University of Iowa
The University of Kansas
University of Maryland, College Park
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
University of Missouri
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
University of Oregon
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
University of Rochester
University of Southern California
University of Texas at Austin
University of Toronto
University of Virginia
University of Washington
University of Wisconsin–Madison
Vanderbilt University
Washington University in St. Louis
Yale University

I've got distant relatives on Mrs. Billd's side that are Huskers. They detest Texas.

I mean we hate I-O-W-A and all but the degree of their displeasure for Texas as a football institution plumbs the deepest depths of disdain.

Admittedly a small sample size but it is a remarkable and real phenomenon for the Nebby fanbase.

The B1G conference only accepts schools that are members of the AAU. Here is a list of the schools. Nebraska was a member when they were accepted into the conference, but has dropped off since then.

Boston University
Brandeis University
Brown University
Columbia University
Cornell University
Duke University
Emory University
Harvard University
Iowa State University
Johns Hopkins University
McGill University
New York University
Northwestern University
Princeton University
Purdue University
Rice University
Stanford University
Stony Brook University
Texas A&M University
Tulane University
University of Florida
The University of Iowa
The University of Kansas
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
University of Missouri
University of Oregon
University of Pittsburgh
University of Rochester
University of Toronto
University of Virginia
University of Washington
Vanderbilt University
Yale University

I feel like the AAU requirement will eventually ... separate from things.

You'll have B1G academic members and B1G athletic members.

Boston University
Brandeis University
Brown University
Columbia University
Cornell University
Duke University
Emory University
Harvard University
Iowa State University
Johns Hopkins University
McGill University
New York University
Northwestern University
Princeton University
Purdue University
Rice University
Stanford University
Stony Brook University
Texas A&M University
Tulane University
University of Florida
The University of Iowa
The University of Kansas
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
University of Missouri
University of Oregon
University of Pittsburgh
University of Rochester
University of Toronto
University of Virginia
University of Washington
Vanderbilt University
Yale University

Rumor is that Delaney wants the University of Toronto. They are an AAU research school, have been playing football for 158 years, and most importantly, being the only Canadian team in FBS would add the entire country of Canada to the B1G’s television revenue.

I feel like the AAU requirement will eventually ... separate from things.

You'll have B1G academic members and B1G athletic members.

I doubt it, remember that athletics are more than just football or basketball. One dimensional schools with just only one competitive sport won’t fit.

Rumor is that Delaney wants the University of Toronto. They are an AAU research school, have been playing football for 158 years, and most importantly, being the only Canadian team in FBS would add the entire country of Canada to the B1G’s television revenue.

You beat me to it. To increase revenue for the BTN, the B10 should add the U of Toronto and...
... Navy. There's more Navy "alumni" than any other "school" in the U.S. If you're looking to increase television market share, Navy and Toronto are both interesting schools to add to the mix.

I've got distant relatives on Mrs. Billd's side that are Huskers. They detest Texas.

I mean we hate I-O-W-A and all but the degree of their displeasure for Texas as a football institution plumbs the deepest depths of disdain.

Admittedly a small sample size but it is a remarkable and real phenomenon for the Nebby fanbase.

I would think that every school that was/is in that conference would hate Texas. Texas has that arrogance and they have been able to push around the other schools. Texas basically destroyed the old conference by taking all the revenue. They won’t get away with that in the B1G. The B1G has put other schools in their place, schools with big reputations that thought they would walk all over the conference (Penn State, Neb).

Reading through the tweet thread linked, sounds like The Big Ten and ACC might be pushing for reform regarding the round robin aspect of the conference divisions. I imagine it would go to something like schools making deals with the others in the conference for how often they play each other, with stipulations that you have to play all teams at least 2 (home and away) within a certain timespan. That was, the 2 or 3 main rivals of each school can play yearly, and then the rest just make deals.

That is literally the same thing as dissolution of the conference without actually calling it that.

Remember, a B1G school has to meet the research and academic standards in order to join the conference. I think Texas and Oklahoma do, but someone like Florida State has no chance.

Florida State actually does quite a bit more research than Oklahoma. So does South Florida. Oklahoma is an academic weakling.

Would that stop the Big Ten from extending it an invite, if that was actually a thing? Probably not

But it's not a thing .... because the Tweet of the OP was literally made up out of thin air. It's just a twitter troll. Click bait.

People love to talk realignment, so this stuff conjures legs out of thin air easily.

Florida State actually does quite a bit more research than Oklahoma. So does South Florida. Oklahoma is an academic weakling.

Would that stop the Big Ten from extending it an invite, if that was actually a thing? Probably not

I added a second post showing that Oklahoma was not an AAU school, so I was wrong. According to past requirements, any new B1G schools have to be AAU.

Doesn’t matter though, because the OP isn’t a thing.

Sure, it is fun to talk about in a “what if” sense. That’s fine, do long as we all acknowledge that the OP is make believe click bait.

I think it is more about becoming more of a vertical monopoly.

The eventual divisions may be the OG big ten and the new division.

original gangster division
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Illinois
Indiana
Purdue
Michigan state
Ohio state
Michigan

New big ten
Rutgers
Penn state
Maryland
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Texas
North Carolina
Virginia
Georgia Tech
Boston college/Notre Dame/Syracuse/someone else

Essentially you’ve created two leagues in one but because you negotiate contracts as one you have more leverage.

Play a 10 game conference schedule with only divisional games counting toward division winners.
Schedule two buy in cupcake games.
Everyone gets 7 home games. Don’t need OOC big name opponent because of 10 game schedule.

Collect

This is actually one of the more sensible things I've seen regarding re-alignment.

The irony comes when you contemplate where it all ends. 64 teams in the Big 10? :D

JTG

original gangster division
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Illinois
Indiana
Purdue
Michigan state
Ohio state
Michigan

Collect

yes please! Even tho we havent been the most competitive, i do miss playing Michigan and at least having a chance at the little brown jug every year.

I think a Big Ten playoff would be the next step.
Perhaps you schedule 9 conference games with an open week during the week of Thanksgiving.

That week #1 plays #4
#2 plays #3

The rest of the teams play each other based on matchups that hadn't yet occurred.

Ridiculous.

Saw this tweet today.

Some say it's not likely either move without their bastard little brothers OSU and Texas Tech.

Texas is really the only other University that financially makes sense, and maybe USC. Taking OU with might be necessary in these deals to make it happen.
That's what the Big 12 gets for stealing our CFP bid two years in a row.

Most here think this is just a bs lead, but it's always fun to speculate about.

But in direct response to one thing you said, there isn't a conference out there, among the Power 5 Conferences, that will take two new schools from the same state, including Texas and Texas Tech. At least not if they have any choice in the matter.

So honestly, those Big 12 schools can make all the demands they want, but IF, and this is a big if, but if the Big 12 dissolves, it will be because of Texas trying to do what Texas has always done, and the result will be, that even Texas will have to accept the reality of making concessions and accepting less control from that point on, and most of the rest of the Big 12 will be hoping they are not left out of a potential new Super 64.

In fact, those schools, like Iowa St and Kansas St and Oklahoma St should be leading the efforts to bring in at least 2 new schools to stabilize their conference, if not 4 or 6? Might be the only way to prevent a move to a 4 conference Super 64. And they should be leading the charge to move to an 8 game playoff as well, so that there is room for 5 Power Conferences and the rest of the stragglers. I'm sure Notre Dame will support the status quo.

I've been looking at the schools out there, available to move to the B1G, ACC, PAC and SEC if the Big 12 disbands, and there is absolutely going to be at least a couple of schools left out that fans and alumni of those schools are going to be beyond pissed.

There is currently room for 10 schools to get those 4 conferences up to 16 each. If schools like Notre Dame and Cincy and possibly Memphis and at least one Florida school if not both of UCF and USF are almost locks to get invites, that would mean 4 or 5 Big 12 schools would be guaranteed not to get in. Who will want Oklahoma St or Kansas St or Iowa St? The Pac-12? They do have room for 4 more schools, and they already have Utah, so I don't see them wanting BYU? They will want at least one Texas school. Would they stoop to bringing in UNLV? Boise St? Air Force? NMSU? Seems to me that the Pac may end up getting the short end of such a deal. Other than a Texas school, geography may force them to lower their standards, either academically, or athletically or footprint wise. So that right there may make the Pac opposed to a Super 64 as they would easily be the worst of the 4 conferences in football.

SEC already has a Texas school, so they might end up getting some less than stellar additions as well? Maybe WVU and Oklahoma St? Or maybe they'd go after Cincy? ACC I could see taking Cincy and Memphis if Notre Dame doesn't join them?

I think the B1G is in the best situation to improve in all 3 of those ways, and also has the most leverage and so could end up getting their pick of the lot, which I think we all agree would be Texas and Notre Dame if we can get them to come in the same way Maryland and Rutgers did, with no special concessions being made to them. Texas could get the Pac-12 to give in to more of their demands, and Notre Dame could go to the ACC? The idea of poaching teams from the ACC or the SEC is not going to happen in my opinion.

So... if we can't get either ND or Texas to come in on our terms, who is left that is worthy and would make sense? Someone mentioned Navy? And Toronto? I don't know much about that school, but the idea of potentially gaining the entire Canadian market sounds very intriguing. I'm assuming they also have or could muster up a very good hockey team. Might just be the best option. Outside of those 4 schools, I can't think of a school I'd want.

But honestly, there would be so many disgruntled cfb fans, from too much movement and too many teams being left out that I don't think it will happen. It would also make bowl games almost disappear or be forced to.

My 10 of Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor, BYU, Navy/Army, Cincy, USF and UCF...

leaves out Houston, Temple, Iowa St, Oklahoma St, Kansas St. & Kansas, WVU, Memphis, TCU, Texas Tech, Boise St, UNLV, Miami of Ohio, etc.. Guess I just can't see it happening. Conference expansion and Conf realignment, yes, Super 64? I've talked myself out of believing that will ever happen.

But in direct response to one thing you said, there isn't a conference out there, among the Power 5 Conferences, that will take two new schools from the same state, including Texas and Texas Tech. At least not if they have any choice in the matter.

I think it just depends on the overall context of everything, when the choice was made. The most recent examples are teams that have been raided from the older versions of the Big East.

The ACC willingly took Miami (FL), when it already had Florida State. Then later, it was "forced' (my understanding) by the powers that be, to take Virginia Tech, when it already had Virginia.

You start talking Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech ........ my gut feeling/wild guess is that there is just too many powerful men who will pull out all the stops, call in all the favors, etc. to conjure golden parachutes for these schools into P5 landing areas.

Most of them aren't great academic schools. But Iowa State is actually a pretty good one. It just doesn't have medical, or it would be way up there, but still does very well, and is in the AAU. If push comes to shove, I hope the Big Ten opens a spot for them, even if it doesn't seem likely.

Top Bottom