Big Ten Expansion - 2024/2025 - Texas and Oklahoma

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Saw this tweet today.

Greg Flugaur
@flugempire
According to BTM the Big Ten Conference will make Oklahoma & Texas their main targets for expansion for 2024/2025.

Both of them.

Yes, Texas.

Some say it's not likely either move without their bastard little brothers OSU and Texas Tech.

Texas is really the only other University that financially makes sense, and maybe USC. Taking OU with might be necessary in these deals to make it happen.
That's what the Big 12 gets for stealing our CFP bid two years in a row.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:

Will we have to change the name of the Big Ten Network to the Longhorn Channel? Will the Ohio State fanbase revolt if Big 10 Network coverage of Ohio State drops below the 85% level?

Seriously, would they add both of them to the B1G West and move Purdon't to the East?

Will we have to change the name of the Big Ten Network to the Longhorn Channel? Will the Ohio State fanbase revolt if Big 10 Network coverage of Ohio State drops below the 85% level?

Seriously, would they add both of them to the B1G West and move Purdon't to the East?

100% chance that is what they’d do.
I also think they’d start playing 10 conference games.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Anything beyond 16 is too many and will cause a conf split in time for sure. Might be able to maintain 16. Would be supported strongly by Nebraska, but I'm not sure how many other B1G west folks would be excited. MN would need to get by TX, OK, NE, IA, WI annually to make the playoff. Ouch.

At that point I think we'd have to move to 10 conference games, right? 7 division games, 3 cross division, and 2 non-conference? It's the only way you'd be able to play all cross division opponents in a decent amount of time...Is there an alignment scheme where all *non-manufactured* trophy games are divisional games?

Anything beyond 16 is too many and will cause a conf split in time for sure. Might be able to maintain 16. Would be supported strongly by Nebraska, but I'm not sure how many other B1G west folks would be excited. MN would need to get by TX, OK, NE, IA, WI annually to make the playoff. Ouch.

Honestly rather than doing that the big ten network should just start bidding for big 12 TV rights

no chance.
Texas will not get rid of the Longhorn network, or evenly split up revenue.

Texas will not HAVE a longhorn network in the same way as ESPN lost money on it.... so whatever revenue they get will NOT be the same.

LHN won't be an issue by the time that contract ends.

no chance.
Texas will not get rid of the Longhorn network, or evenly split up revenue.

He addresses this in back to back tweets:

Now for the last road block
LHN...owner by Disney.

https://twitter.com/flugempire/status/1070403099737632771?s=21

https://twitter.com/flugempire/status/1070403632741392384?s=21

“According to BTM this road block is no more. Nobody now takes this as a serious road block if Texas wants to make a move. There is a contract until 2031 buts it’s not ironclad like the Big 12 GOR of 2025. If LHN had any truly significant money value to Disney it would be a different story. But LHN is a losing proposition to Disney..and loser to Texas for exposure.

LHN is no longer a log in the road..merely a twig (BTM words)”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speculation, but maybe this is the conference trying to solidify what schools join us if the Big 12 dissolves? Like if you think there is a highly likely chance the Big 12 dissolves by that time, you want to be convincing the schools you want to join as early as possible? I don't see Texas joining the Big Ten though, I think they'd rather join the SEC if the Big 12 dissolved, I think we'd be more likely to get Oklahoma and Oklahoma state out of a Big 12 collapse.

Speculation, but maybe this is the conference trying to solidify what schools join us if the Big 12 dissolves? Like if you think there is a highly likely chance the Big 12 dissolves by that time, you want to be convincing the schools you want to join as early as possible? I don't see Texas joining the Big Ten though, I think they'd rather join the SEC if the Big 12 dissolved, I think we'd be more likely to get Oklahoma and Oklahoma state out of a Big 12 collapse.

I don't think Big Ten touches OU without Texas.
OU media market isn't significant. A Texas presence is from media aspect and recruiting.

If you don't get Texas, better off going for another Notre Dame play if you can, or just keep sucking up Notre Dame opponents again. (USC and Stanford).

I don't think Big Ten touches OU without Texas.
OU media market isn't significant. A Texas presence is from media aspect and recruiting.

If you don't get Texas, better off going for another Notre Dame play if you can, or just keep sucking up Notre Dame opponents again. (USC and Stanford).

Agreed. The Big Ten would most want to have the following teams in my opinions:
Texas
Notre Dame
Virginia
North Carolina
Georgia Tech

Tier 2 of wants
Oklahoma
Kansas
Missouri

Maybe USC or UCLA gets consideration. But outside of those 8-10 the conference would rather just stay at 14

Nobody in the bottom group could get in without being accompanied by someone from the top group. They’ll always add an even number.

We already have too many teams. Looking at you, Rutgers!

I think it is more about becoming more of a vertical monopoly.

The eventual divisions may be the OG big ten and the new division.

original gangster division
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Illinois
Indiana
Purdue
Michigan state
Ohio state
Michigan

New big ten
Rutgers
Penn state
Maryland
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Texas
North Carolina
Virginia
Georgia Tech
Boston college/Notre Dame/Syracuse/someone else

Essentially you’ve created two leagues in one but because you negotiate contracts as one you have more leverage.

Play a 10 game conference schedule with only divisional games counting toward division winners.
Schedule two buy in cupcake games.
Everyone gets 7 home games. Don’t need OOC big name opponent because of 10 game schedule.

Collect

Last edited:

Reading through the tweet thread linked, sounds like The Big Ten and ACC might be pushing for reform regarding the round robin aspect of the conference divisions. I imagine it would go to something like schools making deals with the others in the conference for how often they play each other, with stipulations that you have to play all teams at least 2 (home and away) within a certain timespan. That was, the 2 or 3 main rivals of each school can play yearly, and then the rest just make deals.

Reading through the tweet thread linked, sounds like The Big Ten and ACC might be pushing for reform regarding the round robin aspect of the conference divisions. I imagine it would go to something like schools making deals with the others in the conference for how often they play each other, with stipulations that you have to play all teams at least 2 (home and away) within a certain timespan. That was, the 2 or 3 main rivals of each school can play yearly, and then the rest just make deals.

Was talking this over with a co-worker earlier. Each team should have 4-5 protected games. Minnesota for instance Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan. Then rotate the other teams through. One conference and no divisions with top two playing in conference title game.

Was talking this over with a co-worker earlier. Each team should have 4-5 protected games. Minnesota for instance Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan. Then rotate the other teams through. One conference and no divisions with top two playing in conference title game.

Man that would get so disconnected ...

The only teams with games we would constantly in common with other teams would probabbly be Wisc Iowa and Neb....

Each team gets 3 protected games means in a 9 game schedule you would play 6 games a year against the other 10 teams. Meaning in 10 years you could play each of the others 6 times.

Each team gets 3 protected games means in a 9 game schedule you would play 6 games a year against the other 10 teams. Meaning in 10 years you could play each of the others 6 times.

I think a Big Ten playoff would be the next step.
Perhaps you schedule 9 conference games with an open week during the week of Thanksgiving.

That week #1 plays #4
#2 plays #3

The rest of the teams play each other based on matchups that hadn't yet occurred.

That would make sense, but I think they would probably move to 10 conference games with 16 teams. Also, there would be 12 other teams, Then, if necessary you could have 4 protected games and still play each other team in a reasonable amount of time.

We already have too many teams. Looking at you, Rutgers!

You guys aren't thinking with your wallets. Rutgers can suck athletically forever, but they brought the BTN a crap load of money. That's where Texas comes in, they bring a lot of money to all of our Universities. USC would be another HUGE market. Another choice would be Florida St, but that is no where near the market Texas and USC are. I can't see why USC would want to leave their western conference though. They can bus to a bunch of the games if they want. I would assume they'd rather stay in the Pacific Time zone if they can.

I still think we're on pace for four 16 team conferences. Be happy we are in the right conference at the forefront of this thinking and not stuck being Iowa St or Kansas St. They are in trouble.

14 is already too many - TX and Oklahoma would be bad news for schools like MN. I'd love to see Maryland and Rutgers dumped.

14 is already too many - TX and Oklahoma would be bad news for schools like MN. I'd love to see Maryland and Rutgers dumped.

Dump two of the most influential media markets in the country...not likely.

Remember, a B1G school has to meet the research and academic standards in order to join the conference. I think Texas and Oklahoma do, but someone like Florida State has no chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it is a good idea to poach the best schools, we should not be afraid of competing against the best.

Imagine the changes that Oklahoma and Texas would have to make to their teams! They would have to learn how to play defense and also how to play in the cold up north in November.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If we are going to have protected games I think we should get Rutgers, Illinois, and Indiana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom