Bowl Game Uniforms

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
I saw a tweet from the press conference with a photo of mannequins wearing what I assume to be the two team's chosen uniforms for the Quick Lane Bowl. The Gopher mannequin was wearing all white with the reflective helmets.

The reflective helmets don't necessarily bother me, although I was hoping they'd only wear them for a game or two this season. Instead, the team appears to be fixated on them as they have slowly become the helmet of choice this season.

Reflective helmets are now sort of old. They were cool - like 10 years ago when Oregon broke them out for the first time and the other early adopters chose them as well. Even Indiana wore them (at the point of saturation around the NCAA) and now retired them (I don't recall seeing the Hoosiers wear them this year). They are now (pardon the punn) old hat. And with our team's fixation on them it sort of feels like my crazy uncle is going to wear zubaz to another holiday gathering.

yes, I know "The Gophers can wear anything, as long as they win" and any other comment aimed at belittling this opinion. I'm just passing the time, waiting to see my favorite team play another game. Be kind.

I saw a tweet from the press conference with a photo of mannequins wearing what I assume to be the two team's chosen uniforms for the Quick Lane Bowl. The Gopher mannequin was wearing all white with the reflective helmets.

The reflective helmets don't necessarily bother me, although I was hoping they'd only wear them for a game or two this season. Instead, the team appears to be fixated on them as they have slowly become the helmet of choice this season.

Reflective helmets are now sort of old. They were cool - like 10 years ago when Oregon broke them out for the first time and the other early adopters chose them as well. Even Indiana wore them (at the point of saturation around the NCAA) and now retired them (I don't recall seeing the Hoosiers wear them this year). They are now (pardon the punn) old hat. And with our team's fixation on them it sort of feels like my crazy uncle is going to wear zubaz to another holiday gathering.

yes, I know "The Gophers can wear anything, as long as they win" and any other comment aimed at belittling this opinion. I'm just passing the time, waiting to see my favorite team play another game. Be kind.

I would love to see the actual school-color gold helmet that has the Goldy decal on it make a return. Ditch the metallic helmet.

We're 2-0 the last two times we've worn gold helmets in Madison.

I prefer the 1926 uniforms with no helmets, but I'm a sucker for nostalgia...[emoji16]

Assuming they aren't reviving last year's Goldy helmet I think the shiny gold lids are some of the best I've ever seen the Gophers wear. Sadly they added the silly oar to the shiny gold helmet too - it wasn't on the gold helmets when originally released.

I think the perfect Gopher look is the shiny gold helmet, sans oar and the white tops/maroon pants look from the Wisconsin game. Give everyone shiny metallic gold shoes and perfecto. I think they could do it like the Redskins, Cowboys, or LSU and wear that set at home and away.

Darn, the visitor unis they wore in Madison we great - maroon pants, white jerseys and metallic gold helmets.

Yeah, the matte and metallic looks have gotten around now. Maybe time for a "throw-back" helmet look - regular old polished lacquer with gold "M" on the side.

Oregon introduced the chrome helmet in 2012, so it's been ~6 years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/demetr...cks-football-2018-uniforms-nike/#22cca1046a69

Personally I like the gold chrome helmets. That's a solid look. I'm pretty much always in the camp that enjoys alternate uniforms. If they brought back the gold from the past few years as another option I'd like that as well.

Watching college football, there's still quite a few teams wearing their version of the chrome helmet. Gophers may have been a little late to the party but they don't feel dated. There's lots of different styles going on in college football these days: white helmets, matte helmets, etc. Each has their own place to how a team wants to incorporate them.

Looking at the picture you referenced (but didn't post for some reason), there's going to be a lot of white and gold in the uniforms.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:

I love the gold-chrome helmets and hope they're now a long-term fixture. My favorite uniform combo looking back several years is what the Gophies wore at Madison this year - Gold-chrome helmet, white jersey, maroon pants, white socks, white shoes. For a home, I'd like to see gold-chrome helmet, maroon jersey, gold pants, white socks, white shoes.

I would love to see the actual school-color gold helmet that has the Goldy decal on it make a return. Ditch the metallic helmet.

Those are either the best or worst helmets ever. I still can’t decide

Incorrect. We wore gold helmets for the 2014 game.

I think the recent trend has been to go away from any shiny / chrome helmets.

Look at GT, BC, and Pitt. Pitt for example used to have gold helmet that looked gold and now it's a painted version of crap.
Even Notre Dame's gold helmets look more hammered / painted finished than I've ever seen them.

Going with a clean chrome gold like we have is #ELITE and I hope it sticks for years to come.
Our road uniforms for Wisconsin were my favorite of the season, 2nd favorite being anthracite of course.

I thought that Goofer decal helmet was atrocious. They can bury that one as far as I'm concerned. In contrast, I love the gold-chrome helmets. Different strokes for different folks. I guess that's why they alternate uniforms!

I thought that Goofer decal helmet was atrocious. They can bury that one as far as I'm concerned. In contrast, I love the gold-chrome helmets. Different strokes for different folks. I guess that's why they alternate uniforms!

If you don't like the Uniforms at the University of Minnesota, wait a week...

I'm not a fan of the jerseys with "MINNESOTA" or "GOLDEN GOPHERS" on the back. Just put the kids last name and leave it alone.

I'm not a fan of the jerseys with "MINNESOTA" or "GOLDEN GOPHERS" on the back. Just put the kids last name and leave it alone.

It's happened to me once or twice where I was wondering who the player was that made a play and when the camera zoomed in I could only see the nameplate "Minnesota".
It wasn't that helpful.

This is the most echoed sentiment on Gopherhole and I couldn't disagree with it more.

If kids need to see their names on jerseys, I don't want them. They are a speck, a blip, a moment in time when compared to all of Gopher football. If kids REALLY need to see their name on the back, change your last name to Minnesota or Gophers and you'll see it.

It's happened to me once or twice where I was wondering who the player was that made a play and when the camera zoomed in I could only see the nameplate "Minnesota".
It wasn't that helpful.

All jokes aside, I watch the game with a program next to me or my laptop open with the Gophers roster because sometimes you get a tackle by a special teamer or backup and I have no idea who it is. The starting 22 and often used backups I know by sight.

This is the most echoed sentiment on Gopherhole and I couldn't disagree with it more.

If kids need to see their names on jerseys, I don't want them. They are a speck, a blip, a moment in time when compared to all of Gopher football. If kids REALLY need to see their name on the back, change your last name to Minnesota or Gophers and you'll see it.

The kids probably do care less. It's those of us watching from home. I guess I could sit there with a roster in my lap and perform memory calisthenics during each game until I had the entire team committed to memory. Or...they could just put the kids last name on the back. 95% of the NCAA and 100% of the NFL does this already.

PJ’s explanation for not having the player’s name on the back. “The player needs to realize that the University is far more important than any one player”. Thus Minnesota and not Smith.

yeah, I could be wrong on this and maybe it is just a coincidence but it seems like they put "Minnesota" or "Golden Gophers" on the back after losses and the names after wins. I much, much prefer to have the names on the back as pretty much everyone else has already said. The vast majority of D1 teams put the names on the back and I don't believe it has to be a big statement of lack of player character to have this.

Gophers looked great in their Madison duds - maroon, white, with gold reflective helmet. All whites are dullsville. We must be the visiting team.

Oregon introduced the chrome helmet in 2012, so it's been ~6 years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/demetr...cks-football-2018-uniforms-nike/#22cca1046a69

Personally I like the gold chrome helmets. That's a solid look. I'm pretty much always in the camp that enjoys alternate uniforms. If they brought back the gold from the past few years as another option I'd like that as well.

Watching college football, there's still quite a few teams wearing their version of the chrome helmet. Gophers may have been a little late to the party but they don't feel dated. There's lots of different styles going on in college football these days: white helmets, matte helmets, etc. Each has their own place to how a team wants to incorporate them.

Looking at the picture you referenced (but didn't post for some reason), there's going to be a lot of white and gold in the uniforms.

In spite of what is on the mannequins I wouldn't necessarily assume things are set in stone uniform wise. They probably just asked GT to provide a home uniform and MN to provide a road uniform. Could certainly be different on game day. Would love to see us go with the same road uniform we wore against Wisconsin.

PJ’s explanation for not having the player’s name on the back. “The player needs to realize that the University is far more important than any one player”. Thus Minnesota and not Smith.

I absolutely hate not having the player names on the jerseys. I can't imagine the players learning any kind of lesson one way or another. It's for the viewing enjoyment of the fans.

I absolutely hate not having the player names on the jerseys. I can't imagine the players learning any kind of lesson one way or another. It's for the viewing enjoyment of the fans.

Didn't Franklin put the player names on the back of the PSU jerseys for either one game/season as part of the sticking with the program through the adversity/scandal? There's subtle ways to send messages.

Didn't Franklin put the player names on the back of the PSU jerseys for either one game/season as part of the sticking with the program through the adversity/scandal? There's subtle ways to send messages.

I think it was O'Brien that stuck the names on the back.

I think beating Wisconsin earned the players the right to have their names on the back.

I do not think it was a coincidence that the players had "Minnesota" on the back of the jerseys for the Madison game, maybe the message was they were playing for the whole state of Minnesota...

I thought Fleck was trying to one up the Ramones where each band member had their first name (Joey, Tommy, Dee Dee, Johnny) and last name of Ramone.

Seth Minnesota
Zack Minnesota
Carter Minnesota
Donnell Minnesota ...

Top Bottom