Film Room: Gophers use physical O-Line play to wear down Wisconsin

DanielHouse

Reaction score
I analyzed route concepts, the Gophers' domination in the trenches and Mohamed Ibrahim's physical running style. There is so much room to grow on the offensive line, especially considering three starters will be returning. This is just a taste of how this staff would like to build this unit. A performance like this is encouraging as players like Daniel Faalele, Blaise Andries and Conner Olson have made impressive strides this year. Offensive line coach Brian Callahan deserves plenty of credit for the fundamental improvement of this unit. Now, the goal will shift to adding and developing depth among all of the positions up front.

In this game, offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca also did a great job of getting players favorable 1-on-1 matchups through the route concepts. Quarterback Tanner Morgan has shown flashes this year and I highlighted one area I want to see him prove this offseason. I also dove into Tyler Johnson's route running and why it's evolved so much over the past year.

I realized after I produced the video, I forgot to mention Wisconsin was dropping edge guys, so Minnesota had a lot of success running because inside lanes were available. You'll see it in the RPO slant videos as the Badgers' coaches try to take away the route by getting into passing lanes. They simply had no answer for anything because the Gophers dominated them up front when they tried to take the throw away.

Watch the video for so much more! I've been studying Georgia Tech and will have a bowl preview dropping soon. The Gophers will need to get ready for the triple option and a few variations they run out of veer sets. It's all about discipline, which sounds easy, but can be complicated. Stay tuned!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ELKTKvo7Ktw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, if you missed the defensive video from this game, I've embedded it below!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-pMzhvZ4iCM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Good stuff, thanks!

Thanks Daniel!

The Gophers were improving all along even in the face of major blowouts as they gained experience.

Inserting Faalele and moving Schlueter to TE changed the complexion of the Offensive Line. Simplifying the defensive scheme under Rossi put the Defense in the best possible scenario to succeed.

There is a lot to be excited for next season!

"Physical Oline play wears down opponent"

I just hope that we continue to hear headlines like this on a consistent basis moving forward here!

They've out-Woosconsined Wisconsin.

Top Bottom