Gophers will play Boomer Sooner in Sioux Falls next November

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Saturday, Nov. 9.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Would be a fun trip, but same day as football game vs. Penn State

Saturday, Nov. 9.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sounds like a good matchup! Also looking more and more like we will not play in an early season tourney next year.

Utah on road.
Oklahoma at neutral.
Oklahoma State at Tulsa.
Big 10/ACC at home.
Maybe a Gavitt Game?

Sounds like a good matchup! Also looking more and more like we will not play in an early season tourney next year.

Utah on road.
Oklahoma at neutral.
Oklahoma State at Tulsa.
Big 10/ACC at home.
Maybe a Gavitt Game?

If they're playing at the Pentagon, the listed seating is 3,250. That is not a typo. It's a small, retro-style court done like a 1950's "Hoosiers" era facility.

But, the point is, seating will be limited.

Of course, it depends on the starting time. But, let's say - if the FB game was an 11:00am kickoff, game will be done by 2:30pm. It's a 4-hour drive from the Cities to Sioux falls, so you could theoretically attend both games if the Basketball game was a 7:30pm or 8:00pm tipoff (which will no doubt be determined by TV.)
And I will promise to wave at you when you drive through Windom if you take Highway 60 south from Mankato.

If they're playing at the Pentagon, the listed seating is 3,250. That is not a typo. It's a small, retro-style court done like a 1950's "Hoosiers" era facility.

Yes, it will be the Pentagon, as it was when the Gophers played in that building against Vanderbilt in 2016 and Oklahoma State in 2015. This will be the third time the Gophers have played there. It was awesome the first two times....jammed packed with Gopher fans, great venue and super environment.

Yes, it will be the Pentagon, as it was when the Gophers played in that building against Vanderbilt in 2016 and Oklahoma State in 2015. This will be the third time the Gophers have played there. It was awesome the first two times....jammed packed with Gopher fans, great venue and super environment.

It's a great venue. It will sell out. Get your tickets the day they go one sale. I bought extras last time and sold them for double face value.

You'd think that if I can schedule my events/vacations/life around Gopher sports the Athletic department could make an effort to do the same...

Agreed. But the pentagon is so small and 4 hours away. Very few people would attend both. I’ll attend both if timing works out.

Hodger, how does an exempt event with all home games work? I'm not sure I've ever seen it done, and seems to be a complete manipulation of the system to be "exempt" without some kind of tournament atmosphere, whether bracketed or round robin. Four games all at home seems like it would take ten days to two weeks to get done, with a game or two in between. Not really a "tournament" in my book.

Hodger, how does an exempt event with all home games work? I'm not sure I've ever seen it done, and seems to be a complete manipulation of the system to be "exempt" without some kind of tournament atmosphere, whether bracketed or round robin. Four games all at home seems like it would take ten days to two weeks to get done, with a game or two in between. Not really a "tournament" in my book.

Holy Man, Calipari and Richard's dad have always preferred these 4-game exempt events (event, not tournament). Cupcakes, and they don't have to go on the road for anything. And you are correct, it's not a tournament at all.

An example is the Kentucky schedule linked here. The "Ohio Valley Hardwood Showcase" is simply UK playing 4 teams at home and calling it a "showcase".

Richard did one one of these during our NCAA Tournament season. Louisiana, UT-Arlington, Mount Saint Mary's, and Arkansas were all part of an exempt event giving the Gophers 4 home games. Occasionally, these types of exempt events will have the 4th game (featuring the 2 "marquee" teams) at a neutral site.

https://ukathletics.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

Wasn’t Arkansas just a standard 2 game home and home series?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Sanford complex is awfully impressive, and there a great 20 mile or so Bike Path loop around the city along the Big Sioux River and flood control channels that is pretty great. You can see the red rocks at the Falls, downtown, a couple of golf courses, a high security prison, the arenas, and also smell the meatpacking plant all in one bike ride.

I understand that they want to showcase that smaller retro-arena, but the newer main basketball arena (the old Sioux Falls Arena is still there as well)next to it is very nice as well and I wish they would just play there.

Last edited:

Top Bottom