Sid Hartman: Gophers' Payton Jordahl is a scholar and an athlete

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

A Perham, Minn., native, Jordahl walked-on in 2014 and was given a scholarship by former head coach Tracy Claeys following the 2015 season, when he took over as long snapper as a redshirt freshman.

How did he become a snapper?

“It just happened one day when I was in the ninth grade,” Jordahl recalled. “I saw someone doing it in practice and I said, ‘Let me try.’ I gave it a shot and ended up being pretty good. I ended up getting on the varsity team that year, my freshman year, and I just kind of stuck with it.

“A lot of guys grow up doing it and practicing it and I just did it as a side hobby. Then all of a sudden I went to camp and the coaches said I could do this in college, so I ran with it.”

Jordahl grew up a huge Gophers and Vikings fan, and he talked about his memories of the Gophers struggles against Wisconsin, which came to an end in their final regular season game when they defeated the Badgers 35-17.

“I remember being a kid, I was at the Metrodome watching a game and we were winning and all we had to do was punt the ball and the punter bobbled the snap and they ended up blocking the punt and they returned it for a touchdown,” Jordahl said about the Gophers infamous loss in 2005. “That was how Wisconsin won the game.

“From a young age I have been watching Wisconsin win. So being able to beat them and be a part of it and be on the field was almost like an out of body experience. It was a lot of fun. It was awesome.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-payton-jordahl-is-a-scholar-and-an-athlete/501844212/

Go Gophers!!

Sid must have a skunk grad write his articles these days. 35-17 doesn't look quite as bad as 37-15.

How has Jordahl liked playing for Fleck at the end of his career?

“It’s amazing. It was difficult at first because they worked us really hard and once you start getting into the hard work you realize how much it helps you in life,” Jordahl said. “He is one of the most honest and trustworthy people I have met in my life.

“He is a man of his word. If he says he’s going to do something he’s going to do it, and he has always followed through with his word. I can respect that in a person a lot. I have really grown to love coach Fleck.”

I guess this is what you'd expect a player to say but it still strikes me as both very personal and sincere. How many of us speak of a leader and use the word "love"? Maybe it's an age thing? Anyway, very impressive.

Top Bottom