Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default B1G Game 16: Gophers Visit Maryland (2-21-19)

B1G Game Hunting

Last season was a season of firsts for Maryland.

For the first time since joining the B1G, Maryland (after three straight titles) did not win or share the B1G title.
    For the first time Maryland did not win the B1G tournament title.
    For the first time Maryland lost to a B1G team other than Ohio State.

And most important to us, for the first time after 7 straight wins (5 in conference), Maryland lost to Minnesota. As a bonus, including her stint at Ball State, it was also Brenda Frese’s first loss to the Gophers. Frese had been 6-0 against the Maroon and Gold. Adding to the fun, the Gophers ran Maryland out of Williams Arena 93-74.

In last season’s game, Minnesota turned a 53-39 half time lead into a 79-54 advantage heading into the fourth quarter. The Gophers were 14-24 from three while holding the Terrapin’s league leading three point shooters to 5 of 18. Hubbard scored 22 points, Bell 21, Pitts 20 with 9 rebounds and Wagner 17. Two of this season’s starters, Taiye Bello and Jasmine Brunson each played five minutes. For Maryland, this season’s starters were led by Charles 16 points, Jones 13, Lewis 2 and Fraser 6.

Maryland (12-3 and B1G co-leaders) are again the best percentage three point shooting team in the league (.391). Freshman Taylor Mikesell is the primary shooter 40-93 (.430) with plenty of help from Junior Blair Watson 32-83 (.386). Last season, Minnesota took Maryland apart from outside. Yesterday, the Iowa Hawkeyes took Maryland apart from inside. Of course, the inside approach works best if you feature Megan Gustafson posting 31 points and 17 rebounds. For good measure, Gustafson was 11-12 from the foul line. That’s a lot to ask Taiye Bello.

Maryland’s loss to Iowa stopped an eight game Terp winning streak and means, that like last season, the Maryland will face the Gophers while coming off a loss. Last season, before the Gopher matchup, Maryland lost to Purdue after the Boilers blew them off the court in the fourth quarter. Hopefully, like last season, Minnesota will continue a Terrapin losing streak in what promises to be the first of multiple “biggest game of the season” contests.

The Lineup: Maryland’s starting lineup is unchanged during B1G play and they primarily use two players off the bench.

Side Note: Last Summer, former Michigan State star Tori Jankoska was named Maryland's Director of Player Personnel and Recruiting Operations.

B1G Wins: @ Penn State 77-61, Ohio State 75-69, @ Nebraska 81-63, Michigan 83-69, Penn State 79-67, @ Ohio State 70-57, @ Indiana 76-56, Wisconsin 75-57, @ Illinois 80-66, Northwestern 72-57, @ Rutgers 62-48, Nebraska 89-63

B1G Losses: Rutgers 65-73, @ Michigan State 60-77, Iowa 86-73.

Starters (B1G Stats):

6’1” G Jr Kaila Charles (15.7 points, 5.6 rebounds, 2 assists in 29.5 minutes/game)
    6’0” G Jr Blair Watson (9.3 points, 4.5 rebounds, 1.9 assists in 30.5 minutes)
    6’5” F Fr Shakira Austin (7.1 points, 8.4 rebounds in 21.8 minutes)
    6’2” F Jr Stephanie Jones (12.9 points, 5.7 rebounds in 28.6 minutes)
    5’11” G Fr Taylor Mikesell (13.1 points, 3.2 rebounds, 3.2 assists in 34.5 minutes)

Others:

6’3” F Sr Brianna Fraser (8.3 points, 3.7 rebounds in 18.5 minutes)
    5’8” G So Channise Lewis (4.2 points, 2.4 rebounds in 24.5 minutes)

I dunno.... might have to go big against Maryland.

Who guards jones? Who guards austin?
    Austin made gustaffson look human when they gave her the ball yesterday. And Jones is consistent production. If we went big, we might have to play zone..but .the way they pass and shoot, it could get bad. Maybe try man and put destiny on jones?

I'm genuinely very excited for this game. If we can keep it close, play good defense and have a similar offensive game as we did yesterday (albeit I realize their defense will be much better) we can make it interesting. Feels like everyone is playing with a much better mentality and is really hitting their stride. What is it Common says? "H.A.L.E." Is it Thursday yet?

Would a Rick pitino trapping press work? I say we run them out of the gym, jump at any fast break opportunity, press after every basket, and play tenacious defense. Our defense I’m not worried about. It’s a winnable game if we are firing on all cylinders. Will be fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash30 View Post
    Would a Rick pitino trapping press work? I say we run them out of the gym, jump at any fast break opportunity, press after every basket, and play tenacious defense. Our defense I’m not worried about. It’s a winnable game if we are firing on all cylinders. Will be fun to watch.
    We can press them, but they have good passers and that is the key to hurting an aggressive press. I think we can just outplay them

Quote Originally Posted by Bball 101 View Post
    Who guards jones? Who guards austin?
    Austin made gustaffson look human when they gave her the ball yesterday. And Jones is consistent production. If we went big, we might have to play zone..but .the way they pass and shoot, it could get bad. Maybe try man and put destiny on jones?
    I think we go small part of the time, maybe up to half the time. During that time, Bello guards Austin and Perez guards Jones. There’s a risk, tho, of Taiye getting fouls and having to sit. Their game plan might include sitting Taiye.

Probably go regular (3 guards) part of the time, Lamke guards Austin, Bello guards Jones.

If we build a decent lead, we can even go Big (2 guards, 3 posts) up to 20% of the time. That worked really well in 4th quarter against Penn State. We maintained our 30 point lead with that. Modus operandi: We get so many rebounds, especially offensive rebounds, that we get 2-3 shots per possession to their 1-2 shots per possession.

Too bad this game is not on the regular BTN. Will need to think about spending money for BTN Plus for one game. Doubt there will be anything else I’ll watch on that medium in the nest month. If this was a home game, I’d attend in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
    Too bad this game is not on the regular BTN. Will need to think about spending money for BTN Plus for one game. Doubt there will be anything else I’ll watch on that medium in the nest month. If this was a home game, I’d attend in person.
    Michigan St is also BTN+.

I guess after Oregon got beat last night, the Gophers are tied for second-longest active win streak among P5 schools.
    Last edited by Shades; 02-19-2019 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    I guess after Oregon got beat last night, the Gophers are tied for second-longest win streak among P5 schools.
    Let's keep the win streak goin! And get sole ownership of that stat. For the rest of the season, for that matter!

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
    I’ve been pondering this as well. Do I want to watch the men’s team lay an egg against Michigan or do I want to watch the women beat Maryland? Quite the conundrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash30 View Post
    I’ve been pondering this as well. Do I want to watch the men’s team lay an egg against Michigan or do I want to watch the women beat Maryland? Quite the conundrum.
    Decision is easy. Watch the women and DVR the men's game. If they lay an egg, Delete. If not an egg, I will watch it later.

Does anyone know if their flight got out today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blkroll View Post
    Does anyone know if their flight got out today?
    Looks like they’re headed to the airport right now.