Urban Meyer to Step Down After Rose Bowl. Ryan Day to Take Over at OSU.

WindyCityGopher

Reaction score
Surprising, but not shocking given Urban's health issues.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It never made sense to me that he would come to OSU after walking away from Florida.
OSU is a higher pressure situation by far. He did get a NC out of the six years as coach, but you have to wonder if it was worth it.

How long until someone says PJ is going there?

For the record I'm not saying that and think it's ridiculous but I know it's going to happen.

For the record I'm not saying that and think it's ridiculous but I know it's going to happen.

They are going with Ryan Day, so I would guess that number who says it will be PJ will be about 27.

Every coaching change at a helmet school brings the possibility of a step backwards and a walk in the dreaded "average" forest. Brady Hoke is available if they reconsider their plan with Ryan Day.

Wonder if this was part of a deal with the BOR after the Smith cover-up.

It never made sense to me that he would come to OSU after walking away from Florida.
OSU is a higher pressure situation by far. He did get a NC out of the six years as coach, but you have to wonder if it was worth it.

Will be interesting to see if he can actually stay away from coaching or if he will resurface again somewhere else in a year or two. I know he has had the health issues but as we have seen with guys like Kill, coaches don't always do what is in their own best interest due to their need to be out there coaching.

Won't shock me to see him turn up somewhere else. If he does come back to coaching hopefully he will be smart enough to go somewhere at a slightly lower level where the pressure might not be as high.

Clay Travis says he’ll be at USC in 2020. That’s the best explanation I’ve heard as to why USC kept Helton after massively underachieving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was actually thinking I would see at least one "Fire the used car salesman, let's get Urban!" cry, but then I remembered I am not reading the StarTrib comment board.

Wonder if this was part of a deal with the BOR after the Smith cover-up.

That was my first thought as well...my second thought was that nobody there would be able to keep it quiet this long.

There is a understanding (unwritten rule) in the BT that you do not hire a football head coach (maybe all sports) from another BT school.

The last time it happened was when MN hired Wes Fessler from Ohio State in 1951.

Last edited:

Have to wonder how many years Saban has left...

USC makes sense. Warmer weather, fertile recruiting grounds, easier conference.

Meyer retires without ever having lost to Michigan, correct? HAHAHA

I like Urban (don't @ me)

There is a understanding (unwritten rule) in the BT that you do not hire a football head coach (maybe all sports) from another BT school.

The last time it happened was when MN hired Wes Fessler from Ohio State in 1951.

So you are saying they have been waiting 67 years to get pay back?

If he never coaches again, can you imagine the sheer number of blog posts, columns, forum posts, coaching hot lists, etc that will be dedicated to the idea that he's going to ride in and save program XYZ? For at least the next decade.

Every coaching change at a helmet school brings the possibility of a step backwards

It is virtually impossible to not have a step backwards, regardless of who they selected to follow him. His record at OSU is 82-9 (.901) and 54-4 (.931). Think about that for a second - particularly the Big Ten record. It's absurd.

Meyer retires without ever having lost to Michigan, correct? HAHAHA

He has lost to Michigan - though as Florida's head coach. Michigan 41, Florida 35 - January 1, 2008 Capital Bowl.

It is virtually impossible to not have a step backwards, regardless of who they selected to follow him. His record at OSU is 82-9 (.901) and 54-4 (.931). Think about that for a second - particularly the Big Ten record. It's absurd.

He has lost to Michigan - though as Florida's head coach. Michigan 41, Florida 35 - January 1, 2008 Capital Bowl.

That coaching record won't be topped unless Saban makes the move. Michigan is getting better, and Meyer had a down Penn St program for his first few years. That is an absurd record though.

Any OSU commits we offered looking to jump ship? Possible opportunity for PJ to get some amazing talent!

Why would Ohio State even think about hiring a guy with mediocre results?

Why would they go to Pan when Brohm is available?

Shoulda poached Chris Ash or Lovie Smith, who we all know would go 10-2 at worst next year at OSU. Though they do have Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Nebraska as crossovers in 2019.

Shoulda poached Chris Ash or Lovie Smith, who we all know would go 10-2 at worst next year at OSU. Though they do have Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Nebraska as crossovers in 2019.

Who are three teams who Ohio state hasn’t lost to in the past couple years

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Wouldn't be shocked to see Ohio State offer him some form of administrative role similar to what Kill was doing at K-State. The big question will be, will he be able to be content in that kind of role or will the pull of coaching be so strong that he will ignore the health issues again and get back out there at some point in the future.

Top Bottom