Hello Golden Gophers

Well, Cumberland punted every 1st down and we did not throw a single pass. After the game coach Heisman felt the players had not had enough work so he put them through and hour long scrimmage before a steak dinner.

Horrible strategy.

I always enjoy it when visiting fans join us on Gopher Hole prior to bowl games. It is funny how pretty much everyone comes saying stuff like "I'm not here to troll and I just am interested in some friendly discussions..." etc. etc. and then slide into a routine of showing their true colors: by passive aggressively letting us know how superior their team is and how great their players are, and how our team would be foolish to attempt forward passes or running plays. So far, with the Georgia Tech visitors I have NOT felt that passive aggressive vibe - all the more fun. Thanks for stopping by and starting/continuing the discussion, Coloradojacket.

If you stick around long enough we may add you to the "good guy" wing of the Gopherhole Visitor Hall Fame, and share with you tales of some of our more colorful past visitors such as "DancesForRaiders" and the dudes from Texas aTm and Arkansas.

Also just some clarification I always see that our offense is called the Triple Option. The Triple option is a play in our offense. It is the spread option. That would be like calling the West coast offense the screen pass offense. I see many of you talking about defending the triple option. Fair point but we run it about 20% of the time. We also run, the counter option, speed option, load option, mid line option, b-back dive, b counter, A veer, rocket toss etc. what a defense needs to be ready for it cut blocks, and changes in blocking assignments all day. CPJ calls all the plays and does not have a play sheet. during a play he stands back so he can see the offensive line and their blocks. Plays are not signaled in, CPJ whispers them into an A backs ear and they run the play in. When we do throw the ball we mean it. In most years we average about 25 yards per reception.

Thanks for the Cliff Notes version! A lot of Gophs fans and GHers have trouble understanding the difference between RPO (which Fleck runs) and the read option as well. Staff have slowly (sometimes painfully slow) opened up the offense to look more like what Fleck ran at WMU. I expect there will be a few wrinkles for the bowl game.

Say what you want about Heisman as a football coach, he was a garbage basketball coach!

LOL, not sure where you get that background. So here is the part that gets everyone, I am a UGA grad 1984. I just never quit being a Tech fan. I contribute a lot to Tech every year.

Hefty seat licenses? We call them "donations" up here...

No kidding. Heisman coached football, basketball, and baseball at Tech. How lazy is Fleck?

If our Big Ten basketball season continues as it started, he may be picking up basketball sooner than later.

Yes, i was there from 1980 to 1984, I had a class with him and sat by him. Very nice guy.

We were under the impression that class attendance for FB players in the SEC was optional or not required...:p

We were under the impression that class attendance for FB players in the SEC was optional or not required...:p

Hopefully the Gophers - Rossi in particular - is looking at how Iowa beat GT in a bowl game back in 2010. As I remember they pretty much shut down the option attack by playing very disciplined defense. Nothing special, just assignment defense

I always enjoy it when visiting fans join us on Gopher Hole prior to bowl games. It is funny how pretty much everyone comes saying stuff like "I'm not here to troll and I just am interested in some friendly discussions..." etc. etc. and then slide into a routine of showing their true colors: by passive aggressively letting us know how superior their team is and how great their players are, and how our team would be foolish to attempt forward passes or running plays. So far, with the Georgia Tech visitors I have NOT felt that passive aggressive vibe - all the more fun. Thanks for stopping by and starting/continuing the discussion, Coloradojacket.

If you stick around long enough we may add you to the "good guy" wing of the Gopherhole Visitor Hall Fame, and share with you tales of some of our more colorful past visitors such as "DancesForRaiders" and the dudes from Texas aTm and Arkansas.

And CrimsonBama -- maybe the best of all time.

Well, Cumberland punted every 1st down and we did not throw a single pass. After the game coach Heisman felt the players had not had enough work so he put them through and hour long scrimmage before a steak dinner.

True story. Sid was there and got the strip, medium rare.

Cumberland was playing the field position game and had supreme confidence in its defense. Should have made adjustments at halftime. They underestimated GT's offensive stamina just a we bit.

I also read that Cumberland didn't actually have a football team that year. The student manager forgot to cancel the game against Georgia Tech that year and Cumberland could not afford to pay the $3,000 buy out. So one of the law students put together 19 students to play against the Yellow Jackets.

I also read that Cumberland didn't actually have a football team that year. The student manager forgot to cancel the game against Georgia Tech that year and Cumberland could not afford to pay the $3,000 buy out. So one of the law students put together 19 students to play against the Yellow Jackets.

Was Joe Maturi or Jerry Kill involved?

And CrimsonBama -- maybe the best of all time.

yes but as I recall CrimsonBama came back to GopherHole on bended knee after we thumped Alabama in the Music City Bowl acknowledging the our O-Line dominated Bama in that game. If I remember correctly didn't Thomas Tapeh have a field day running the ball in that game?

I am known as the Coloradojacket. I live in Denver, moved here in 1998 but am the biggest Georgia Tech fan in the world. I have 4 season tickets and get back for games. I have been going to Tech games since 1969. From Atlanta. I am also a huge CPJ fan and know his offense well, and love it. Not here to talk smack, just provide any answers you may have about the Jackets and I look forward to this match up.

And yes, we would have like to have been playing somewhere else but we are at were we are at. So ask me what you want

Hope Its good game! Good luck to your squad moving forward. I hear that your coach is retiring. Who do you want for your next HC. I haven't read this thread so sorry if it was already asked.

No kidding. Heisman coached football, basketball, and baseball at Tech. How lazy is Fleck?

My great uncle, Mel Taube, played 3 sports while at Purdue and coached football, basketball and baseball at Purdue before leaving and going to Carleton. Shows that they really were the greatest generation.

yes but as I recall CrimsonBama came back to GopherHole on bended knee after we thumped Alabama in the Music City Bowl acknowledging the our O-Line dominated Bama in that game. If I remember correctly didn't Thomas Tapeh have a field day running the ball in that game?

Tapeh didn't have a carry.

Barber had 37!! attempts for 187, Maroney had 29 for 105 yards.

Barber had a TD and Keith Lipka returned a fumble 1 yard for a TD. Lloyd was 2/3 on FGs to get the Gophers to 20 points (made both PATs)

Cupito was 5/12 for 75 yards and an INT. Barber was 0/1 with an INT.

Alabama averaged 1 yard per carry on 21 attempts.

Barber had a TD and Keith Lipka returned a fumble 1 yard for a TD. Lloyd was 2/3 on FGs to get the Gophers to 20 points (made both PATs)

I don't care about how low Alabama's relative power was in the early 00's compared to now. It was fun to beat them then and given what has transpired since then, it feels even better today to be able to casually mention the Gophers beat Alabama the last time they played and it wasn't back before indoor plumbing like our national championships. And, at the same time I really regret not having more success or conference championships from the Barber/Maroney era. That offense was soooo much fun to watch. If I could daydream my favorite kind of offense into existance, it would be nearly exactly that. A better defense would have been nice to pair with that amazing ground game. What a shame. I have been a Gopher fan all my life but it was that team/era that pushed me into a deeper level of fandom (season tickets/tailgating/Gopherhole/etc).

Glen Mason defense right there.

Mason-era Gophers didn't run the Triple Option, but at times they may as well have. I remember that disastrous 2005 Axe game when the Gophers dominated running over, and over, and over again with the backup QB.

Mason-era Gophers didn't run the Triple Option, but at times they may as well have. I remember that disastrous 2005 Axe game when the Gophers dominated running over, and over, and over again with the backup QB.

One of our new Georgia tech friends is going to threaten your life. The triple option is not an offense, its a play. They run it about 20% of the time

Sorry my bad - Tapeh ran wild vs Arkansas in 2002 - I just can’t keep track of our SEC beat downs in the early 2000’s

Sorry my bad - Tapeh ran wild vs Arkansas in 2002 - I just can’t keep track of our SEC beat downs in the early 2000’s
One of my all time favorite Gopher moments was Tapeh running the ball in for a touchdown. He was hit by an Arkansas DB on about the 5 and that said DB landed in the end zone on his backside. Talk about will and desire that play epitomized it.

@Coloradojacket

If you could straight up swap GT's program and situation for MN's, would you take it?

You're thinking of 2002 game when MN thumped Arkansas 29-14. Dan Nystrom kicked 5 FG in that game as well.

@Coloradojacket

Who's coaching GT next year? Would you stop being a fan if it's Ken Whisenhunt?

Top Bottom