Quick Lane Bowl Opponent Georgia Tech - Inside Scoop

crut

Reaction score
Hey all! I am a Georgia Tech fan here to provide some knowledge on the Jackets! I know next to nothing about the Minnesota team, but I am pretty knowledgeable about GT so ask me anything you want to know! Here's a an intro of how we got here:

The fan base was pretty darn upset yesterday. We finished 5th in the ACC and ahead of 4 teams that got picked before us in bowls. We fell to the bowl that is hardest for Georgia Tech fans to go to. Fans expected based on Paul Johnson's retirement announcement that our stock for bowls would go up, not down given the appeal in seeing a coach's last game. So yes, you've probably seen how angry everyone was. I still am, and still feel totally disrespected. The Belk Bowl put out polls on Twitter, Reddit, etc and Georgia Tech was BY FAR AND AWAY the most popular team picked to play in that bowl, garnering something like 75% of the vote even though there was 10 teams to choose from. So screw the Belk Bowl, they have never picked us and I hope their bowl is awful this year haha.

Now that I've explained the frustration, I will say it has nothing to do with playing Minnesota. I think it will be a good game and am happy to be playing a P5 opponent instead of Memphis or Temple which we were projected to play against in some matchups. So, don't take it personally! Some people are blaming the huge drop to the fact that our AD, Todd Stansbury, is on the CFP committee and was sequested this weekend while also being in the middle of a coaching search. Take that for what it's worth.

Now to the team itself: We started off pretty poorly, especially on defense where we changed schemes with a new DC from the 2017 season to now Nate Woody in the 2018 season (yes, we have a coach named Johnson AND Woody). However, in the last 6 games, we went 5-1, including wins over Miami, Virginia, and Virginia Tech. The fan base is/was generally excited about the defense moving forward, but we are very youthful in the secondary and make big mistakes at times (especially with tackling). We give up a good amount of yardage, but are really good on producing takeaways. Linebacker is by far our weakest position.

On offense, yes it's different, but please let me dispell any myths you may have heard about it. For one, it's not a triple option offense. The triple option is just a play. As a whole this year, the offense is generally good. We try to control the clock, ware down defenses, and occasionally go for the big pass play. This year we have been particularly limited in the passing game (more than any other year under Johnson) because we don't have a healthy QB that can throw. Coming into this year we had 3 QBs that were ready to play in the flexbone option system and the only one that was a good passer had a season ending injury in the spring. We had one the year before have to quit football because of an ATV accident, and another had to stop football for another injury, so we were left with basically glorified running backs. So even for an option offense, don't expect to see GT pass much in Detroit. Because of this, we get wrecked when playing elite D-Lines, but have pretty much rolled everyone else's defense. Blocking is incredibly key for our offense. We use a lot of cut blocks to try to get defenders on the ground.

Playmakers to look out for:
Offense - Clinton Lynch, A-Back (sets up wide of the QB to start). He is the most dynamic running back we have. He is limited in touches based on his position but can really break some loose.
Defense - Anree-Saint Amour (DE) - I expect him to be drafted this offseason and he has really improves as a rusher. Look for him as the most likely GT player to get sacks
Special Teams - Juanyeh Thomas - This dude is a true freshman and hasn't fully integrated into the defense yet (he is likely to be a safety) but has been killing it on special teams.

Shoot me anything else that comes to mind and I'm happy to answer!

Glen Mason's best O-lines were very proficient at cut blocks...so at least the old timers understand it is a legal and often effective blocking technique.

Hey all! I am a Georgia Tech fan here to provide some knowledge on the Jackets! I know next to nothing about the Minnesota team, but I am pretty knowledgeable about GT so ask me anything you want to know! Here's a an intro of how we got here:

The fan base was pretty darn upset yesterday. We finished 5th in the ACC and ahead of 4 teams that got picked before us in bowls. We fell to the bowl that is hardest for Georgia Tech fans to go to. Fans expected based on Paul Johnson's retirement announcement that our stock for bowls would go up, not down given the appeal in seeing a coach's last game. So yes, you've probably seen how angry everyone was. I still am, and still feel totally disrespected. The Belk Bowl put out polls on Twitter, Reddit, etc and Georgia Tech was BY FAR AND AWAY the most popular team picked to play in that bowl, garnering something like 75% of the vote even though there was 10 teams to choose from. So screw the Belk Bowl, they have never picked us and I hope their bowl is awful this year haha.

Now that I've explained the frustration, I will say it has nothing to do with playing Minnesota. I think it will be a good game and am happy to be playing a P5 opponent instead of Memphis or Temple which we were projected to play against in some matchups. So, don't take it personally! Some people are blaming the huge drop to the fact that our AD, Todd Stansbury, is on the CFP committee and was sequested this weekend while also being in the middle of a coaching search. Take that for what it's worth.

Now to the team itself: We started off pretty poorly, especially on defense where we changed schemes with a new DC from the 2017 season to now Nate Woody in the 2018 season (yes, we have a coach named Johnson AND Woody). However, in the last 6 games, we went 5-1, including wins over Miami, Virginia, and Virginia Tech. The fan base is/was generally excited about the defense moving forward, but we are very youthful in the secondary and make big mistakes at times (especially with tackling). We give up a good amount of yardage, but are really good on producing takeaways. Linebacker is by far our weakest position.

On offense, yes it's different, but please let me dispell any myths you may have heard about it. For one, it's not a triple option offense. The triple option is just a play. As a whole this year, the offense is generally good. We try to control the clock, ware down defenses, and occasionally go for the big pass play. This year we have been particularly limited in the passing game (more than any other year under Johnson) because we don't have a healthy QB that can throw. Coming into this year we had 3 QBs that were ready to play in the flexbone option system and the only one that was a good passer had a season ending injury in the spring. We had one the year before have to quit football because of an ATV accident, and another had to stop football for another injury, so we were left with basically glorified running backs. So even for an option offense, don't expect to see GT pass much in Detroit. Because of this, we get wrecked when playing elite D-Lines, but have pretty much rolled everyone else's defense. Blocking is incredibly key for our offense. We use a lot of cut blocks to try to get defenders on the ground.

Offense - Clinton Lynch, A-Back (sets up wide of the QB to start). He is the most dynamic running back we have. He is limited in touches based on his position but can really break some loose.
Defense - Anree-Saint Amour (DE) - I expect him to be drafted this offseason and he has really improves as a rusher. Look for him as the most likely GT player to get sacks
Special Teams - Juanyeh Thomas - This dude is a true freshman and hasn't fully integrated into the defense yet (he is likely to be a safety) but has been killing it on special teams.

Many thanks for this info; you have a great coach and a fun team to watch. It will be an interesting game.

Thanks for the info. Its always fun to see two long-time football traditions finally meet on the gridiron.

Your QBs

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tZrqC5LL_oo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Your QBs

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tZrqC5LL_oo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for the update. Why is Detroit so hard to get to from Atlanta? Delta probably runs 10 direct flights a day from ATL-DTW.

Thanks for joining and sharing the info. I spent a little time on the Georgia Tech boards reading what everyone there had to say and for the most part it was a full revolt about the bowl snub to Detroit, but only a couple people included the Gophers as part of that negativity. The general feeling was "hate the bowl, but interesting opponent and happy to be playing a B1G team instead of a group of 5 conference team"

In watching GT highlights, I know they will be a handful and their program is a bit more seasoned than our Row the Boat culture that appears to be getting its foothold this season. So, clearly the Gophers will have their hands full, even if what we have seen along the lines of late season improvement continues into the bowl.

Thanks for the update. Why is Detroit so hard to get to from Atlanta? Delta probably runs 10 direct flights a day from ATL-DTW.

I just had a conversation with a few Georgia Tech fans on twitter about the location. One said this was virtually a home game for the Gophers. I had to explain that it is still a 10 hour drive from Minneapolis. Detroit is just 11 1/2 hours from Atlanta. Then someone said it is an advantage for MN because Detroit is in Big Ten country so our fans are familiar with the area which means more fans will travel. I'm not sure I agree with that but it does seem the location is really pissing them off.

It's the hardest of all the ACC bowl tie-ins, except for maybe Shreveport, LA and El Paso, TX (which is a more appealing game as it is a Tier 1 game). The game being on the 26th is also a big deterrant, as most people cannot add an impromptu plane trip the day after Christmas. There are a ton of flights from ATL->DTW but the cheapest ones for the game around about $270 :(

Do you have a Doctorate in Nuclear Science or Nanotechnology?

I agree there was a revolt haha but yeah it wasn't about Minnesota. Apparently the staff was pretty furious too.

I'm not sure why there's a game in Detroit on the 26th. There are very few teams that can travel there well and putting it on the 26th makes it even tougher. I mean Pitt and Louisville are the only two ACC schools that can drive to it, and there's only about 5 B10 schools.

What percent of Georgia Tech students lose their virginity by the time they receive their Masters Degree?

Are you from Georgia, and therefore your college education was paid for by the state via their grant program?

Not quite there yet! I was Civil Engineering. Did know some of the Nuclear Engineers though.

Were any of them able to name your team's QB by name, or were they more obsessed with "important" things?

Do you feel the Big 10, Pac12, and Big 12 put them at a disadvantage in most rating systems by playing a 9 game schedule which ensures 75% of total results in their league will result in a cumulative 0.500 record instead of scheduling a 4th cupcake?

And if so, did that affect Ohio State's chances for making a playoff knowing that it could have weakened OSU's SOV (strength of victory) and SOS (schedule) metrics since the average 7 win team usually ranks about 40th overall where the average 8-4 team has a rating near 20?

I agree there was a revolt haha but yeah it wasn't about Minnesota. Apparently the staff was pretty furious too.

I'm not sure why there's a game in Detroit on the 26th. There are very few teams that can travel there well and putting it on the 26th makes it even tougher. I mean Pitt and Louisville are the only two ACC schools that can drive to it, and there's only about 5 B10 schools.

Four letters, ESPN. Bowl games are great programming.

Are you from Georgia, and therefore your college education was paid for by the state via their grant program?

I am from Georgia. 3 of my years at GT my tuition was paid by the Hope Scholarship. This doesn't cover all costs of course, but is great for tuition. You have to maintain a 3.0 GPA, and I slipped below one year - it's pretty hard hard to keep a 3.0 at GT. There is a Zell Miller Scholarship which covers everything. You have to have like a 3.6 or something to get this. The rules are changing soon to where the requirements for STEM majors around the state will be different than other majors. This seems fair to me, as I feel pretty sure I could of had a 3.6 in Agriculture at UGA.

Were any of them able to name your team's QB by name, or were they more obsessed with "important" things?

Of the 4 nuclear engineers I knew, I know for sure 3 of them knew the QB.... 1 of them is a bit iffy haha.

Do you feel the Big 10, Pac12, and Big 12 put them at a disadvantage in most rating systems by playing a 9 game schedule which ensures 75% of total results in their league will result in a cumulative 0.500 record instead of scheduling a 4th cupcake?

And if so, did that affect Ohio State's chances for making a playoff knowing that it could have weakened OSU's SOV (strength of victory) and SOS (schedule) metrics since the average 7 win team usually ranks about 40th overall where the average 8-4 team has a rating near 20?

I think that would overall put them at a slight disadvantage, yes. But in reality, I don't think it has affected much thus far in CFP selections. It's more likely to affect the perception of 3,4, and 5 loss teams than undefeated or 1 loss teams, if that makes sense. The reason Ohio St wasn't picked this year is just because of how badly they lost to a 6-6 team. Oklahoma only lost to a team they later beat, and they had similar quality wins otherwise.

As a Georgia Tech fan, I don't feel like we are at an advantage with our 8-game schedule though, because we play Georgia and Clemson every year, and Notre Dame 35% of the time (they play 5 of 14 ACC teams every year).

As a visitor to this site, what do you think about the threads titled "oops-- wrong forum" and "duplicate thread" and "Remember When We Were Promised This Would Never Happen?"

I would have to think this would be a bit confusing to anyone new here.

The Belk Bowl put out polls on Twitter, Reddit, etc and Georgia Tech was BY FAR AND AWAY the most popular team picked to play in that bowl, garnering something like 75% of the vote even though there was 10 teams to choose from. So screw the Belk Bowl, they have never picked us and I hope their bowl is awful this year haha.

Sounds like a recruiting failure on the part of GT.

Since 1986 there have only been two players with the last name “Belk” to be on bowl eligible teams:
Chandler Belk, a redshirt WR for NC State whose only season with the Wolfpack was in 2015. When NC State was in the Belk Bowl.
Josh Belk, freshman DT for the Gamecocks this season will play in the Belk Bowl.

The Gophers need to start looking for players with the last name Rosebowl.

As a visitor to this site, what do you think about the threads titled "oops-- wrong forum" and "duplicate thread" and "Remember When We Were Promised This Would Never Happen?"

I would have to think this would be a bit confusing to anyone new here.

I've seen my fair share of these on GT forums, so I just skimmed over them haha

For obvious reasons when playing Georgia Tech the focus will be on their offense because it is fairly unique. Frankly I am curious about the other side of the ball as well. Statistically your defense seems pretty average in the conference, what kinds of offenses seemed to do well against you guys and what was the defense good at stopping?

Different style of play but Wisconsin is a very good running team as well. We were able to get a lead and force them to do things they didn't want to do. Would seem like with a team like GT the same principal applies. If they can run the ball and control the clock they will be tough to beat but if you can get a lead it will force them to try and open things up more and do what they are not really comfortable doing.

Top Bottom