Fred Hoiberg fired by the Bulls, does he get back into college coaching?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I have to imagine that if Hoiberg wants to get back into college coaching that he'll be one of the most sought after candidates:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

The Mayor and Eric Mussleman...building a program through grad transfer...[emoji41]

I have strong suspicion he will be our coach next year. I love Pitino, but this program just isn't where it should be at this point.

I'd be happy if they picked up Fred. Closest we could get to Flip now.

I have strong suspicion he will be our coach next year. I love Pitino, but this program just isn't where it should be at this point.

Hard to get an idea what Coyle is thinking at this point. Has expressed his support of Pitino in the past but silent lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holberg to the Gophers, confirmed (maybe)

Firing Hoiberg was incredibly stupid by the Bulls. No one could win with that depleted roster. If the Gophers make the NCAA tournament this year, no Hoiberg. If they don't make it, its hard to say.

If it gets to that point (hopefully not, way too early to call this a lost season), The Mayor and Niko Medved would be good places to start your search.

Well, yes, that would be a fantastic hire, but, if he wants to stay in the pro ranks, my guess is that he can get another job next season. NBA coaches are always getting fired and the league tends to recycle coaches. He probably could get another two or three pro gigs before returning to the college ranks if he really wanted that.

He honestly may end up in this town but not coaching at the U, rather he may end up with the Wolves in some capacity

I'd be all for it though

I want Fred or Musselman. I think Nikko Medved (U of M Grad) would also be a good decision.

If you can get him you definitely make the move.
I do not think that pitino should be fired at this point, but if you can make a definite upgrade like that. You do it.

I heard that if UCLA opened that he would likely go there. So I hope to gosh they have a good year

Hoiberg absolutely despises recruiting. He hates going into homes and begging.

I bet he prefers to stay NBA, but that may not be an option.

Hoiberg absolutely despises recruiting. He hates going into homes and begging.

I bet he prefers to stay NBA, but that may not be an option.

If you're begging, you're doing it wrong.

Hero Sports chimes in:

Fred Hoiberg Fired: Potential Landing Spots in College Basketball

MINNESOTA
Current Head Coach: Richard Pitino

Richard Pitino is just two years removed from a 24-win season, fourth-place finish in the Big Ten and contract extension. He did, however, go 15-17 last year and already has two double-digit losses this year.

If the Gophers whiff on the NCAA Tournament for a fifth time in six years, might athletic director Mark Coyle want a change, especially if Hoiberg is available?

Hoiberg played for the Timberwolves and spent time in their front office before taking the Iowa State job. It's a great fit geographically.

https://herosports.com/college-basketball/fred-hoiberg-fired-iowa-state-minnesota-ahah

Go Gophers!!

Fred's hard to dislike, but his halfway-house method of filling a roster was...kind of distasteful. Not sure I'd want my school's program to be that.

He was able to get Royce on the court! And into an aircraft!

Fred's hard to dislike, but his halfway-house method of filling a roster was...kind of distasteful. Not sure I'd want my school's program to be that.

A few years ago, I was wondering if Pitino was moving toward a modified Hoiberg style of recruiting: recruit a core of freshman players but fill them out with more experienced upper class transfers along the way.

If you're not an elite destination, I think Hoiberg's recruiting style makes a lot of sense. You're recruiting players who have demonstrated that they can play at an acceptable level and your average age level is a little higher. Of course, you are also having to recruit more players each year because your players have shorter tenures.

As far as the "half-way house" reference, I don't recall Hoiberg's players being reprobates (other than maybe Royce White - and he was more of an all around head case than reprobate). Was that a problem with his players?

A few years ago, I was wondering if Pitino was moving toward a modified Hoiberg style of recruiting: recruit a core of freshman players but fill them out with more experienced upper class transfers along the way.

If you're not an elite destination, I think Hoiberg's recruiting style makes a lot of sense. You're recruiting players who have demonstrated that they can play at an acceptable level and your average age level is a little higher. Of course, you are also having to recruit more players each year because your players have shorter tenures.

As far as the "half-way house" reference, I don't recall Hoiberg's players being reprobates (other than maybe Royce White - and he was more of an all around head case than reprobate). Was that a problem with his players?

In all honesty, it's a market inefficiency way of filling out our roster and I don't really hate it to be honest. I think it's absolutely a way for us to take advantage of the system that has been set up in the sport.

As far as the other point, there were some other guys he took on at Iowa State that had some issues. I know he had a few that were dismissed from Michigan State that ended up there. There may have been more too

Echo the post above. I will say that Fred gave some players a second chance, and they seemed to have gotten themselves straightened out in Ames...or not and secrets got kept.

Echo the post above. I will say that Fred gave some players a second chance, and they seemed to have gotten themselves straightened out in Ames...or not and secrets got kept.

Could be tough keep secrets in this market, Ames, I’m guessing, is a lot easier & less media. He’d be a great get, but not sure if it’s a great fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. He's a younger, better looking Jerry Tarkanian. Hard pass.

Hoiberg is a great coach. Only reason I wouldn’t take him is because I don’t think he’d stay long term. Also his defenses aren’t always the best and offense lives and dies by the 3. But he did great things at Iowa state

Wouldn't Fred's name would have to be part of any discussion if there is a vacancy in Dinkytown or at Target Center at the end of the year?

Top Bottom