Notre Dame

It was funny Saturday when Dave Wannstedt was arguing Notre Dame shouldn't be in the top four because they were idle. The other announcers looked at him like he was a moron. He could have had a point if he was trying to say they had one less opportunity for a loss, but he didn't make an intelligent argument, he just said "out of sight, out of mind"...

I know it will never happen, but there is only one subdivision of one NCAA team sport that the champion of a conference with 6 or more teams does not get an automatic bid to the playoffs.

I'd like to see a twelve to sixteen team playoff, where all conference champs get in and two to six at-large.

I’d like to see that as well.

Will never happen.
Nor will auto bids in an 8 team playoff

I've said this elsewhere and I will say it here: take every bit of opinion and subjective reasoning out of it that you can. You might not be able to take all of it out but you should be able to take out most of it by simply mandating only conference champions can qualify. Then add back some subjective tidbits such as at-large opportunities for group-of-5 conf champs and independents.

If you can manage this, you will stop the constant unending inertia to fill everything up with SEC teams, based on opinion. And you will eliminate the unwinnable eternal arguments comparing power 5 resumes of great teams not given the opportunity to play for a NC. Imagine a world where winning your conference (making regular season conference games and conference championship games HUGE) actually is the only thing you have to worry about to get into the playoff.

I've said this elsewhere and I will say it here: take every bit of opinion and subjective reasoning out of it that you can. You might not be able to take all of it out but you should be able to take out most of it by simply mandating only conference champions can qualify. Then add back some subjective tidbits such as at-large opportunities for group-of-5 conf champs and independents.

If you can manage this, you will stop the constant unending inertia to fill everything up with SEC teams, based on opinion. And you will eliminate the unwinnable eternal arguments comparing power 5 resumes of great teams not given the opportunity to play for a NC. Imagine a world where winning your conference (making regular season conference games and conference championship games HUGE) actually is the only thing you have to worry about to get into the playoff.

This would be best and find a way to eliminate non-conference games and have true round robin formats to conferences. Or create a uniform non-conference cross over format.

It was funny Saturday when Dave Wannstedt was arguing Notre Dame shouldn't be in the top four because they were idle. The other announcers looked at him like he was a moron. He could have had a point if he was trying to say they had one less opportunity for a loss, but he didn't make an intelligent argument, he just said "out of sight, out of mind"...

I know it will never happen, but there is only one subdivision of one NCAA team sport that the champion of a conference with 6 or more teams does not get an automatic bid to the playoffs.

I'd like to see a twelve to sixteen team playoff, where all conference champs get in and two to six at-large.

Not being in a conference can be both an advantage and disadvantage. I feel like Notre Dame has to go undefeated most years to get in. If they have a slip up during the regular season, they're out. But teams that play in a conference can have a slip up during the regular season because they get a chance to make up for it in a conference championship game like Oklahoma did this year.

Notre Dame signed an agreement when they joined the ACC for everything but football. They play 5 of their (except for 4 in 2022 & 2024 & 6 in 2023) vs the ACC. Here's the ACC teams that ND Plays through 2037:

==2019==
x-Notre Dame at Louisville, 9/2
Virginia at Notre Dame, 9/28
Virginia Tech at Notre Dame, 11/2
Notre Dame at Duke, 11/9
Boston College at Notre Dame, 11/23

==2020==
Notre Dame at Wake Forest
Notre Dame at Pittsburgh
Duke at Notre Dame
Clemson at Notre Dame
Louisville at Notre Dame

==2021==
x-Notre Dame at Florida State, 9/6
Notre Dame at Virginia Tech
North Carolina at Notre Dame
Notre Dame at Virginia
Georgia Tech at Notre Dame

==2022==
Notre Dame at North Carolina
Notre Dame at Syracuse
Boston College at Notre Dame
Clemson at Notre Dame

==2023==
Notre Dame at NC State
Notre Dame at Duke
Notre Dame at Louisville
Wake Forest at Notre Dame
Notre Dame at Clemson
Pittsburgh at Notre Dame

==2024==
Miami at Notre Dame
Notre Dame at Georgia Tech
Florida State at Notre Dame
Virginia at Notre Dame

==2025==
Notre Dame at Miami
NC State at Notre Dame
Notre Dame at Boston College
Notre Dame at Pittsburgh
Syracuse at Notre Dame

==2026==
Notre Dame at Florida State
Louisville at Notre Dame
Syracuse at Notre Dame
Virginia at Notre Dame

==2027==
Notre Dame at Clemson
Notre Dame at Duke
Virginia Tech at Notre Dame

==2028==
Clemson at Notre Dame
Miami at Notre Dame
Notre Dame at Pitt
Notre Dame at Virginia Tech

==2029==
Notre Dame at Florida State
Notre Dame at NC State
Notre Dame at Syracuse

==2030==
Duke at Notre Dame
Notre Dame at Louisville

==2031==
x-Notre Dame at Clemson
Miami at Notre Dame
NC State at Notre Dame
Notre Dame at Virginia

==2032==
Louisville at Notre Dame
Notre Dame at Miami

==2033==
Notre Dame at Duke
Notre Dame at Louisville
Pitt at Notre Dame
Virginia Tech at Notre Dame

==2034==
Clemson at Notre Dame
Notre Dame at Miami
Notre Dame at Pitt
Syracuse at Notre Dame
Virginia at Notre Dame

==2035==
Duke at Notre Dame
Notre Dame at Louisville
Notre Dame at NC State
Notre Dame at Virginia

==2036==
x-Notre Dame at Virginia Tech
Pitt at Notre Dame

==2037==
Notre Dame at Clemson
Miami at Notre Dame
NC State at Notre Dame
Notre Dame at Syracuse

Last edited:

I really hope the post above this was a copy and paste job otherwise you need more things to do during the day

Every team has a chance to play to get in. If you lose a game, you blew your chance and have to take whatever fate befalls you. An undefeated Power 5 team has never missed the CFP. Undefeated teams did occasionally miss out on the BCS, which was one of the reasons it needed to be replaced by a new system.

This is the set up I'd like to see...some others have posted similar thoughts. A process where conference championships put a team into consideration for the final 4 (but not guaranteed) with the loser of a conf championship eliminated. A fluke conference championship win like Northwestern or Utah wouldn't automatically make it to the final 4. For independents like Notre Dame, require an undefeated season for consideration which is, effectively, how it is now.

I really hope the post above this was a copy and paste job otherwise you need more things to do during the day

Yes, it was, but I did get rid of the double spacing..

How did I do?

BTW - the x before the game means Labor Day game.

I found it interesting during the CFP selection show they talked briefly about Notre Dame, and someone mentioned they had solid wins with victories over Michigan and Northwestern.

They beat Michigan by 7 and Northwestern by 10.

That's hard to top. Good thing there weren't any other candidates who beat those two teams.

I am finding it interesting people are bringing up Notre Dames SOS.

ND’s best win is Michigan. That’s a better win than Clemson’s best win (Texas A&M)
ND’s second best win is Syracuse. That’s equal to Clemson’s second best win (Syracuse).
Must be the fact that NC State is a little better than Northwestern...wait, the polls say they aren’t. In fact, once thorson was healthy Northwestern was a better team than NC State. Or at the very least similar.
Maybe it is that the bottom of the schedule for Notre Dame is so much easier.

Notre Dame easiest 4 games:
Ball state, Navy, USC, Florida State

Clemson easiest 4 games:
Furman, Georgia Southern, Louisville, Florida State

That must be what it is. People think Georgia Southern is better than USC and think Louisville and Furman is tougher than Navy and Ball State.

I am finding it interesting people are bringing up Notre Dames SOS.

ND’s best win is Michigan. That’s a better win than Clemson’s best win (Texas A&M)
ND’s second best win is Syracuse. That’s equal to Clemson’s second best win (Syracuse).
Must be the fact that NC State is a little better than Northwestern...wait, the polls say they aren’t. In fact, once thorson was healthy Northwestern was a better team than NC State. Or at the very least similar.
Maybe it is that the bottom of the schedule for Notre Dame is so much easier.

Notre Dame easiest 4 games:
Ball state, Navy, USC, Florida State

Clemson easiest 4 games:
Furman, Georgia Southern, Louisville, Florida State

That must be what it is. People think Georgia Southern is better than USC and think Louisville and Furman is tougher than Navy and Ball State.

Just to add another point in Notre Dame's favor - Clemson had a 4-point home win over Syracuse, while Notre Dame had a 33-point neutral-site ass-kicking over Syracuse.

Just to add another point in Notre Dame's favor - Clemson had a 4-point home win over Syracuse, while Notre Dame had a 33-point neutral-site ass-kicking over Syracuse.

And Clemson’s “extra game” due to conference championship played and lost to Notre Dame.

I’m not a fan of Notre Dame. I’ve never understood the media’s love affair with a school that is hypocritical to what they preach.

I’m not a fan of Notre Dame. I’ve never understood the media’s love affair with a school that is hypocritical to what they preach.

No idea what you mean in the second sentence.
Catholic views and their football team are opposed?

Anyonewho is a Gopher fan certainly can’t be rooting for the Damers. That’s just what our recruits need, to see the Irish in the playoffs. They have already cherry picked our best OL? Plus after watching two games in Notre Dame stadium I can honestly say that the game officials must have been Catholic.

Anyonewho is a Gopher fan certainly can’t be rooting for the Damers. That’s just what our recruits need, to see the Irish in the playoffs. They have already cherry picked our best OL? Plus after watching two games in Notre Dame stadium I can honestly say that the game officials must have been Catholic.
Is it 1960 again?
Do people really have anti-catholic feelings?

Is it 1960 again?
Do people really have anti-catholic feelings?

Only Lutherans do at this point (Wisconsin and Missouri Synods) ELCA doesn't give a crap...

How have you not been banned yet? You provide nothing of substance and most of what you say is just plain wrong and/or false.

Exactly. You have missed a few decades of social progress. I hope you are aware ND has many non- Catholics .

Top Bottom