Media Prediction Thread: Quick Lane Bowl - Minnesota vs Georgia Tech

BleedGopher

Reaction score
ESPN first out of the gate:

Quick Lane Bowl: Minnesota vs. Georgia Tech

(5:15 ET on ESPN at Ford Field in Detroit)

I like where Minnesota is going under P.J. Fleck, whose late-season defensive coordinator switch paid off as the Gophers dominated Purdue and Wisconsin. But Georgia Tech wants to send coach Paul Johnson out with a win, and the triple option clicks in the second half as the Yellow Jackets rally for CPJ.

Prediction: Georgia Tech 42, Minnesota 34

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25432433/picking-winners-every-bowl-game-matchup

Go Gophers!!

ESPN: the triple option clicks in the second half

Pretty Terrible logic. 99% of the time you know if a team can stop the triple option on the first 2 drives. Only major things that might change are injuries or ejections to the D.

No chance GT gets to 42 points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Terrible logic. 99% of the time you know if a team can stop the triple option on the first 2 drives. Only major things that might change are injuries or ejections to the D.

Disagree. It is more how the blocking scheme of the option impacts your defensive line and linebackers. You may do a great job of shutting it down in the first half but unless you are deep in players, you are worn out in the second half. That is when those 2 and 3 yard first half gains turn into 10-15 yard gains if you aren’t careful.

They've done it 3 times this year alone - twice on the road.

Good for them. They were able to do that against Virginia Tech, Louisville and Bowling Green. I don't think they can against us.

First meeting ever and both teams will be going for ball control and long drives that use up the clock. GA Tech is made for that. If their defense can force some three-and-outs on us, they could build a lead and we'll have to pass a lot, which may be the only way to beat them. The triple option is used by so few teams, it is almost impossible to stop - field will be dry and weather not a factor, which helps them. Worst thing is that this is the swan song of their coach and they will be up emotionally for that. They will not be easy to beat. We'll need lots of big plays to do it and it should be an exciting game not settled til final minutes.

They've done it 3 times this year alone - twice on the road.

And those high scores were against...
=========================
Bowling Green 3-9 (BGSU lost to awful Kent State. At least they can say "We're not Central Michigan.")
Louisville 2-10 (Nothing says defense like averaging 59 points against their last 5 games...)
Virginia Tech 6-6 (ODU put 49 on them? Oof.)

Last edited:

First meeting ever and both teams will be going for ball control and long drives that use up the clock. GA Tech is made for that. If their defense can force some three-and-outs on us, they could build a lead and we'll have to pass a lot, which may be the only way to beat them. The triple option is used by so few teams, it is almost impossible to stop - field will be dry and weather not a factor, which helps them. Worst thing is that this is the swan song of their coach and they will be up emotionally for that. They will not be easy to beat. We'll need lots of big plays to do it and it should be an exciting game not settled til final minutes.

I think an indoor environment in December helps the Gophers, who might try and pass the ball.

It might not be a matter of who is pumped up for their coach's last game or for rowing a boat or whatever, but who's mentally into it after spending Xmas in a hotel in Detroit.

ESPN first out of the gate:

Quick Lane Bowl: Minnesota vs. Georgia Tech

(5:15 ET on ESPN at Ford Field in Detroit)

I like where Minnesota is going under P.J. Fleck, whose late-season defensive coordinator switch paid off as the Gophers dominated Purdue and Wisconsin. But Georgia Tech wants to send coach Paul Johnson out with a win, and the triple option clicks in the second half as the Yellow Jackets rally for CPJ.

Prediction: Georgia Tech 42, Minnesota 34

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25432433/picking-winners-every-bowl-game-matchup

Go Gophers!!

total dinks

Disagree. It is more how the blocking scheme of the option impacts your defensive line and linebackers. You may do a great job of shutting it down in the first half but unless you are deep in players, you are worn out in the second half. That is when those 2 and 3 yard first half gains turn into 10-15 yard gains if you aren’t careful.

Not if your own offense controls the clock and gets up by a few scores. Then the triple option is a big liability. There's a reason most teams don't run it.

Not if your own offense controls the clock and gets up by a few scores. Then the triple option is a big liability. There's a reason most teams don't run it.

Oh for sure, that is how you defeat the option. Problem is, that isn’t exactly our forte. I’m certain that will be the goal. If we can put together long drives like we did against Becky we will be in good shape. We just didn’t do that consistently throughout the season. We will have to be somewhat balanced. Will need to complete enough passes to keep the linebackers off the line of scrimmage. Do that, and we can hopefully turn the option against them.

I would be surprised if any media predictions have the Gophers coming out on top.

I think an indoor environment in December helps the Gophers, who might try and pass the ball.

It might not be a matter of who is pumped up for their coach's last game or for rowing a boat or whatever, but who's mentally into it after spending Xmas in a hotel in Detroit.

From everything I've read, seen, and heard about PJ Fleck, I might [just might] bet that he has something up his sleeve for everyone on the team to help them forget that they're in a hotel in Detroit on Christmas Day.

CFN chimes in:

Quick Lane Bowl
Wednesday, December 26
5:15, ESPN, Ford Field, Detroit, MI
Georgia Tech vs. Minnesota

Knee-Jerk Instant Analysis: It’s a terrific matchup considering this could’ve been some mediocre MAC school against an ACCer. Instead, it’s Paul Johnson’s last game for Georgia Tech, and it’s PJ Fleck trying to establish something big for the Gopher program. The Yellow Jacket triple-option will roll.

First Thought Prediction: Georgia Tech 34, Minnesota 24

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/12/college-football-playoff-bowl-game-first-predictions-lines/3

Go Gophers!!

And those high scores were against...
=========================
Bowling Green 3-9 (BGSU lost to awful Kent State. At least they can say "We're not Central Michigan.")
Louisville 2-10 (Nothing says defense like averaging 59 points against their last 5 games...)
Virginia Tech 6-6 (ODU put 49 on them? Oof.)

Illinois scored 55 on us.

That was in the dark ages of the Robb Smith era. Post Smith we held 3 teams to a combined 49 points....Georgia Tech gave up 45 to Georgia (granted Georgia is really good).

Rossi is going to have his hands full getting ready for this one but hopefully he can put together a plan to slow their run game down.

Illinois, as much as it baffles me to say, has a more explosive offense than GT does.

(Edit: Not to take away from coach Robb's masterpiece that night.)

Last edited:

The option is no bigger liability than any other run first offense. The option is not "3 yards and a cloud of dust", GT will have explosive plays. The biggest reason it isn't run more is because of fans. The fans don't understand/like it so administrations don't want it.

The option is no bigger liability than any other run first offense. The option is not "3 yards and a cloud of dust", GT will have explosive plays. The biggest reason it isn't run more is because of fans. The fans don't understand/like it so administrations don't want it.

That is not why its not run anymore Its not run because the Florida teams learned in the late 80's and early 90's that excessive speed beat the option every time. Fast linebackers could go sideline to sideline and speedy receivers could get you on top forcing the option teams to throw to catch up. I love watching the option, but over time it was obvious you could game plan and beat it with the right athletes. Now that's not saying we have the right athletes, because I'm not sure we do.

Any extremely heavy run dependent offense can be successful on average, especially when facing a physically inferior opponent, but all are a liability when facing a points deficit in the 2nd half. It's not just the fans. I can't think of a single major college or NFL team in modern history that's won a championship running the ball 80+% of time like Georgia Tech. Sure, there are good running teams that win big, but they also have the ability to stretch the ball downfield via the pass a fair percentage of time.

I love a good running game. I hate needing to depend on the run game ALL the time.

That is not why its not run anymore Its not run because the Florida teams learned in the late 80's and early 90's that excessive speed beat the option every time. Fast linebackers could go sideline to sideline and speedy receivers could get you on top forcing the option teams to throw to catch up. I love watching the option, but over time it was obvious you could game plan and beat it with the right athletes. Now that's not saying we have the right athletes, because I'm not sure we do.

I'm not trying to argue, but the "right athletes" beat most schemes. You are right that elite defensive speed creates problems for the option.

Last edited:

Penn Live chimes in:

Nothing Says the Holidays Like a Free Oil Change in Detroit Bowl
Minnesota vs. Georgia Tech

Dec. 26 – 5:15 EST (ESPN)

Detroit, Mich. (Ford Field)

This used to be the Motor City Bowl, brainstorm of former Michigan State coach Gerorge Perles who also gave us the Land Grant Trophy. Now it’s called the QuickLane Bowl named after a convenience oil/lube business. Can you imagine Paul Johnson (in his last game at GT, no less) and P.J. Fleck trying to sell this to their players? “Hey, guess where we’re going for Christmas, guys?! I’ll give you a hint. It starts with Mi. No, not Miami…”

Considering how unlikely a bowl – any bowl – was for Minnesota after week 10 when it sat at 4-5 with Purdue, Northwestern and @Wisconsin on deck, the Gophers must feel good about themselves.

Still, no one on Minnesota’s team has faced a triple-option attack in college. It probably won’t be pleasant. The Gophers have proven vulnerable to run-based offenses this season (42-13 loss to Maryland, 55-31 loss to Illinois), though they patched it up some in the finale @Wisconsin.

Tech is a whole different animal and if the Gophers are the slightest out of their lanes on defense a big play (of which Minnesota allowed many in 2018) can result. It’s also a guaranteed fast track at Ford Field and the Gophers aren’t. I like the Jackets (-3 ½) to cover and send Johnson out with a bouquet.

Georgia Tech 41, Minnesota 24.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2018/12/big_ten_bowl_picks_penn_state.html

Go Gophers!!

I’m putting $100 on the Gophers and I’ll donate my winnings to the school. Easy money

Top Bottom