How to eliminate national championship ranking controversy from CFB

bfast

Reaction score
It's really this simple:

- No more conferences

- Set up connected tiers of 12 teams each with promotion/relegation. Top 3 teams in each division get promoted or relegated each year.

- Teams play the other the 11 other teams in their division once per year.

- You can either declare the team at the top of the division 1 standings the champion, or you can have a playoff featuring the top 4 teams. You can even use playoffs to determine promotion/relegation throughout all of the divisions instead of using the final standings.

- Smaller-conference teams like UCF will have a fair chance to win their way into division 1 and win the overall championship,

- There's drama for good AND bad teams throughout the divisions. Every game matters. Imagine the Gophers at 1-5 with fans and players motivated and determined to avoid relegation to the division below, or Northwestern fighting to jump up to division 1.

Determine the team placement for the first year of the promotion/relegation system via some sort of ranking system from the previous year. If it started in 2019 (CFB playoff rankings used here):

Division 1:

1. Alabama Crimson tide
2. Clemson Tigers
3. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
4. Oklahoma Sooners
------makes championship playoff------
5. Georgia Bulldogs
6. Ohio State Buckeyes
7. Michigan Wolverines
8. UCF Knights
9. Washington Huskies
-----relegated to D2-------
10. Florida Gators
11. LSU Tigers
12. Penn State Nittany Lions

Division 2:

13. Washington State
14. Kentucky
15. Texas
------promoted to D1------
16. West Virginia
17. Utah
18. Mississippi St.
19. Texas A&M
20. Syracuse
21. Fresno State
------relegated to D3------
22. Northwestern
23. Missouri Tigers
24. Iowa State Cyclones

Division 3

Division 4

Division 5 ....

Looks like you got sucked into the drama big time. Your system doesn’t make a lot of sense when you take into account the “tier” is based on prior year results (if I’m understanding it - and I’m not trying really hard to do so for the reasons I’ve identified in the next paragraph) so you very easily could be blocking the best team(s).

But then there’s the minor detail that college sports are predicated upon conference play and mutual affiliations. You’re essentially ignoring things like rivalries, geographic proximity and similar missions (not to mention the practical side of things such as TV contracts) for a theoretical argument revolving around football. So....no. There really is no drama here. March madness has its own controversy about who gets in but at some point decisions need to be made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Let's see if you can separate the money and the power from some of the dominant conferences and teams.

The NCAA likes to get paid too, count the money, and look the other way if they have to in order to keep counting the money. IMHO, the new CFP format made the SEC even more dominant.

Let's see if you can separate the money and the power from some of the dominant conferences and teams.

The NCAA likes to get paid too, count the money, and look the other way if they have to in order to keep counting the money. IMHO, the new CFP format made the SEC even more dominant.

The NCAA makes next to nothing (or literally nothing) on football. All of the money goes to conferences and individual teams.

The NCAA makes its revenue on basketball.

You thought way to hard about this and it still is extremely flawed.

The NCAA makes next to nothing (or literally nothing) on football. All of the money goes to conferences and individual teams.

The NCAA makes its revenue on basketball.

It's got to be those shoe contracts...:cool02:

This would be a fun exercise with a simulator but that's as r as I'd go with it.

You can't mess around with our beloved Axe, Pig, Jug, and soon the Bit of Broken Chair Trophy traditions! "bfast", that sounds too draconian.

How about we have every single team play the other 129 teams, best record takes it. God forbid their be any controversy in sports. College football did just fine for 100 years with no playoff at all, we don't need to blow the whole thing up in a search for absolute truths.

I hate the idea of impacting all of college football.... to accommodate the handful of teams that actually can make the playoffs.

That would kill the sport.

Tell me again how this eliminates ranking controversy from National Championship? You still have the 4th and 5th place teams jockeying for 1 spot and arguing they deserve to be in.

All this system does is guarantee that only 12 teams have a chance to win the "Division 1" National Championship in a year. Given in theory 25% of your roster graduates each season, that's a lot value you are placing on the previous season's team.

This gets run every year at this time to make football into soccer and every year it’s a terrible ide

Yeah. Just dump the soccer "teams falling out" part and let the schools draft their players instead. They could call it the National Football League.

Oh yeah, there already is one of those out there.:eek:

Last edited:

Did I miss it, or is today speak like a pirate day?

lqKpe2E.gif

Anything that allows relegation immediately eliminates anyone with any power from ever joining.
Why would anyone in the power 5 agree to a system that automatically sees at least one of them dropping out of power 5 status?

Top Bottom