Defensive Changes for Georgia Tech

Sparlimb

Reaction score
How do you think we'll game plan for Georgia Techs option offense?

Would you play a 4-4 with only one safety? Would you move Coughlin back to middle linebacker for the game? You have to stop the full back, so we need our biggest bodies in there. If we play a 4-4, you could start Huff and Cashman next to each other. Thoughts?

Hustle and tackle should be the plan

Need a big game from OJ Smith plugging up the middle.

Would you play a 4-4 with only one safety? Would you move Coughlin back to middle linebacker for the game? You have to stop the full back, so we need our biggest bodies in there. If we play a 4-4, you could start Huff and Cashman next to each other. Thoughts?

Never thought about CC45 moving to LB for the game. I would be interested in seeing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you can - or should - completely revamp your defense for one game. The whole point of Rossi taking over was to simplify the schemes.

So, I would think that the Gophers will stick with their base defense, and make a few tweaks to deal with GT. In theory, defending a triple-option involves three concepts: stuff the fullback dive, and have players assigned to cover the QB and the option HB. but containing the edge is crucial.

And you can't totally ignore the pass - although GT only threw something like 115 passes all season - avg of less then 10 att a game.

Look, GT is one of the top rushing teams in the country. they're going to get some yardage. Gophs need to try and prevent the long runs, and make GT pull off long drives if they want to score. should be interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a lot of Chris Williamson near the line of scrimmage. Agree that Smith plugging the first option will be a key. After that, it's hold the edge and string things out toward the sidelines. DBs should probably be in man coverage.

Interesting that we get this match-up for Bowl and have Georgia Southern on the schedule for next season. Fleck sounded like that will be helpful to the defense in preparation next season.

Partially depends on what uniform combo we pick.

Stay committed to the game plan. Stay disciplined. Stay strong in the trenches. Make the tackles you're supposed to. Beat GT.

Seems like if they did that every game, it would help, so this is still valuable practice of the Golden Gophers from RTB U.

Best thing would be to make sure each player is tracking every offensive player and every possible iteration of the play ....

Best thing would be to make sure each player is tracking every offensive player and every possible iteration of the play ....

Make the QB pay every play, whether he keeps or pitches the ball. He will pitch sooner and make the reads easier. Williamson and Huff need to be on field shooting gaps and blowing up blocking schemes.

Ridiculous to think they'll spend all three weeks teaching the defense to defend the option.

They'll use the time looking ahead to next year, too.

Hi Gophers. Just returning a favor; a couple of your folks registered to our board to start some friendly conversation. I not a troll, although I'll probably throw some good-natured banter your way.

I certainly hope you play a 4-4 against us. Only one team played a straight 4-4 against Paul Johnson and that was Georgia in 2008. They promptly gave up 45 points with better athletes than you have on defense.

As some of your fans have stated, GT's fanbase is quite unhappy with this bowl but that has nothing to do with you. We finished fourth overall in the ACC and 2nd in the conference and got "banished" to the QuickLane bowl. A bunch of southerners travelling north to Detroit over Christmas doesn't sound like fun. Most of the comments are, "Don't go, you'll get shot." Perhaps a bit stereotyped, but many think it's the ACC's final middle finger to Johnson and GT.

Hi Gophers. Just returning a favor; a couple of your folks registered to our board to start some friendly conversation. I not a troll, although I'll probably throw some good-natured banter your way.

I certainly hope you play a 4-4 against us. Only one team played a straight 4-4 against Paul Johnson and that was Georgia in 2008. They promptly gave up 45 points with better athletes than you have on defense.

As some of your fans have stated, GT's fanbase is quite unhappy with this bowl but that has nothing to do with you. We finished fourth overall in the ACC and 2nd in the conference and got "banished" to the QuickLane bowl. A bunch of southerners travelling north to Detroit over Christmas doesn't sound like fun. Most of the comments are, "Don't go, you'll get shot." Perhaps a bit stereotyped, but many think it's the ACC's final middle finger to Johnson and GT.

Detroit is an easy flight from Atlanta.
You should go.

If you need places to stay, I have some recommendations just for GT fans.

Detroit is an easy flight from Atlanta.
You should go.

If you need places to stay, I have some recommendations just for GT fans.

I certainly hope we turn out. Atlanta to Detroit is pretty easy and non-stop (thanks Delta/Northwest!). Lots of folks don't plan on going because of the holiday and perceived slight from the ACC/bowls.

We don't know too much about you guys, and I'm sure the opposite is true.

I thought "Row the boat" was kinda cool at Western Michigan, has it worn out it's welcome in Minnesota?

I certainly hope we turn out. Atlanta to Detroit is pretty easy and non-stop (thanks Delta/Northwest!). Lots of folks don't plan on going because of the holiday and perceived slight from the ACC/bowls.

We don't know too much about you guys, and I'm sure the opposite is true.

I thought "Row the boat" was kinda cool at Western Michigan, has it worn out it's welcome in Minnesota?

No.

100% of our fans fully embrace RTB and have custom tailored their clothing to match it.

Flights to Detroit for us are low priced as well thanks to NWA / Delta.

It should be the Delta Airlines Bowl.
Bring some of that good ol' Atlanta Coca-cola with you on your trip up.

Ridiculous to think they'll spend all three weeks teaching the defense to defend the option.

They'll use the time looking ahead to next year, too.

Speaking of defense has PJ hired anew defensive coach? With Robb S leaving and Rossi moving into to theDC job, we have an opening for a new coach. Any ideas whom that might be?

Look, GT is one of the top rushing teams in the country. they're going to get some yardage. Gophs need to try and prevent the long runs, and make GT pull off long drives if they want to score. should be interesting.

This. Georgia Tech is going to pile up yardage for sure. The Gophers just need to play tough in the red zone and hold the Jackets to field goals. Can’t allow those 30-40 big runs.

I don't think you can - or should - completely revamp your defense for one game. The whole point of Rossi taking over was to simplify the schemes.

So, I would think that the Gophers will stick with their base defense, and make a few tweaks to deal with GT. In theory, defending a triple-option involves three concepts: stuff the fullback dive, and have players assigned to cover the QB and the option HB. but containing the edge is crucial.

And you can't totally ignore the pass - although GT only threw something like 115 passes all season - avg of less then 10 att a game.

We have a glaring weakness in our passing game. If you can get us behind schedule and into 3rd and long we're not very competent throwing the ball. That said, when we are in our comfort zone and it's 2nd and 4 be prepared for a 60-yard TD pass over the top because you'll think we're gonna run it and our WR's will run right past your CB who is thinking "crap, run support ... I'm gonna get cut-blocked and it's gonna hurt!"

One other thing, though - we have no problem scoring on long drives. In fact, we call them The Death March. Do you have any idea how disheartening it is to a defense to give up a 16-play, 12:00 minute drive that results in a TD?

Consider this: Miami scored a TD in the 4th to make it 27-21 with 6:35 to go. They kicked off and they never saw the ball again.

We have a glaring weakness in our passing game. If you can get us behind schedule and into 3rd and long we're not very competent throwing the ball. That said, when we are in our comfort zone and it's 2nd and 4 be prepared for a 60-yard TD pass over the top because you'll think we're gonna run it and our WR's will run right past your CB who is thinking "crap, run support ... I'm gonna get cut-blocked and it's gonna hurt!"

One other thing, though - we have no problem scoring on long drives. In fact, we call them The Death March. Do you have any idea how disheartening it is to a defense to give up a 16-play, 12:00 minute drive that results in a TD?

Consider this: Miami scored a TD in the 4th to make it 27-21 with 6:35 to go. They kicked off and they never saw the ball again.

We did have a nice 90 yard drive that took 9:16 against Wisconsin,

Not really as most of the season we were giving up long scoring plays not long drives. Since we switched from Smith to Rossi as DC, our defense has been much better about limiting the big plays so we will probably find out how disheartening a long scoring drive can be.
When we have the ball what kind of D are we going to see from GT? Can they defend the slant?

Not really as most of the season we were giving up long scoring plays not long drives. Since we switched from Smith to Rossi as DC, our defense has been much better about limiting the big plays so we will probably find out how disheartening a long scoring drive can be.
When we have the ball what kind of D are we going to see from GT? Can they defend the slant?

GT plays a base 3-4 cover 3. We are a bit undersized along the front 7, so a power running game could give us fits. Our ILB play has been extremely spotty at best this year - I'd say not even feast or famine, more like gnawing hunger pangs or famine. Eye discipline has been a big problem, so the potential for slants or look-offs is huge.

One bright side for our D is that it has been very opportunistic with turnovers, tripling our output from last year.

GT plays a base 3-4 cover 3. We are a bit undersized along the front 7, so a power running game could give us fits. Our ILB play has been extremely spotty at best this year - I'd say not even feast or famine, more like gnawing hunger pangs or famine. Eye discipline has been a big problem, so the potential for slants or look-offs is huge.

Gee, I can't imagine any of that working in our favor, with our small and ineffective OL and inability to connect on slant routes. :rolleyes:

JTG

I used to live in Atlanta and followed GT closely - Paul Johnson is one of my favorite coaches - remember him from his days at Navy. This will be a tough game for MN, which never sees the triple option and had a lot of trouble with running QBs this year. On the other hand, the Gophers can throw the ball, so they may open it up and score quickly when they have to. We are none too happy with this bowl, either, but it's a very good stadium, out of the elements. Detroit is a better place to visit than it used to be, also. The game should be a lot of fun - the triple option is a thing of beauty - like old-time football, and GT has some great athletes to make it work. MN has never played GT - so this is a first. Really looking forward to it, but GT will probably be the betting favorite. Kudos to Paul Johnson for his fine career at Navy and GT.

The problem with our defense in the middle of the season is that we weren’t playing it. We were letting the offense dictate what we ran. We should not adopt a new scheme with guys playing out of position to stop option.

Yes. Some of us are Vikings fans.

Worn out? Let’s just say it is still as cool here as it ever was at WMU. #RTB

Top Bottom