Bowl game excitement level

Bowl game excitement level

• Total voters

pharmacygopher

114 Row 11
Reaction score
Seeing lots of various opinions on this. Honestly after the Illinois game if you would have made a poll that the Gophers would finish 6-6 (meaning a victory over wisconsin or West division champion Northwestern) and in a bowl I don't think anyone would be complaining.

Curious to see the results

Before the season I was going to be happy with any bowl game.

At some points in the season I thought a bowl game might even be unlikely.

Considering how we got bowl eligible ... I'm pretty damn excited.

I'll be pumped to see if we can continue the positive momentum - plus we have a chance to get a lot of people healthy after a month off.

First bowl test for a PJ Fleck-coached Gophers team...

I was expecting to play WMU so that bar was beat...

Could be better? Sure. But now I have a Must See TV appointment for the late afternoon on December 26...

Now, what to serve when bees are on the menu as the main course?

Very excited we made a bowl and I can watch another game. GT doesn’t really excite me tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to PJ beating PJ!!!

Last edited:

It's at least appealing destination to me, but my opinion doesn't matter because I'm not going anyway.

I'm pretty excited. The venue has advantages for attending (it's indoors and you can walk to it from multiple downtown hotels).

I think it's pretty good exposure for the TV audience. It's primetime on the day after Christmas when plenty of people are still inside at their Christmas locations. Also, I like the fact that we are the first Big Ten bowl so a lot of conference fans might be watching it just for that.

+1

I went with:
Detroit is solid, hate the matchup

I don't actually hate the matchup.
I'm more like Good and Good on both, but overall happy to have a Bowl game.

First bowl test for a PJ Fleck-coached Gophers team...

I was expecting to play WMU so that bar was beat...

Could be better? Sure. But now I have a Must See TV appointment for the late afternoon on December 26...

Now, what to serve when bees are on the menu as the main course?

Something honey glazed?

I'm with you on this. I like that we are an upswing going into the bowl game.

Georgia Tech? Maybe Joe A'noai (aka Roman Reigns) will be on their sideline and we can get Brock Lesnar on ours. Turn the game into a donnybrook.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hard to get excited about this bowl but happy for the extra practice time . I hope the team gets some good swag and the W.

I'm excited about being in a bowl game. I'm excited about lengthening the season and getting more practices. I hope it leads to more success next season.

I’m excited about it for sure. More progress for the program with the extra practice time and who could complain about playing an upper echelon team from the ACC?? Honestly, other than the location, what’s to complain about???

Very, very happy with getting a Bowl game and how they got there. Would have been very excited if they got into the Redbox Bowl out in Santa Clara.

Like the match-up, not the location. At least not in December.

The Gophers need to win 7 or 8+ games next year and we won't be worrying about taking a Winter trip to another cold climate.

It's the lowest of the low as far as P5 bowls go.
Detroit is actually a cool downtown, but this game has always had the reputation of being a garbage consolation prize for teams no other bowl wants.
I'm glad it's P5 vs. P5, and it's neat to play a team I've never seen us play.
Considering a bowl seemed like an impossibility a month ago, I'm thrilled to see another game!
As far as my excitement, it's on the level of the bowl games vs. Iowa State and Syracuse.

Glad we made it to the bowl game. Much better than not making a bowl game. Good opponent. Just too bad it's in Detroit.

I picked love it. Only reason I did not pick higher is because I wont get to watch the game live because of work

Interesting match-up. Another challenge for Rossi as DC to try and slow down the triple-option.

As an older fan, I remember the era when the wishbone, veer or other variations on the triple-option were mainstream offenses. Rex Kern may not be a name that younger fans recognize, but he was a heck of an option QB for Ohio State in the late 60's. Oklahoma also ran triple-option and had a lot of success. Texas ran the veer, which had a lot of triple-option action without being in the 'bone. Other teams may not have gone full triple-option, but they had a lot of option principles in their offenses, including the Gophers with Rickey Foggie. Or Tony Rice at Notre Dame - who could have been a Gopher if Holtz had stayed in MN.

So, I look forward to the game to see how the Gophers deal with the defensive challenge.

There isn’t a listed option for moderate excitement, like a MN Lutheran level of excitement. Maybe a small upturn to the ends of the pursed mouth, hands in the pockets, rocking back and forth on the balls of the feet, small nod of the head type excitement. Nobody’s running off the dock screaming into freezing Lake Minnetonka over Detroit but so what. It’s an opportunity to get to 7 wins over a quality P5 opponent and build some serious momentum (I believe in it) into 2019.

I was hoping to play Miami at Yankee Stadium as that game has more of a big event feel to it, and the games have been quite fun.

But GT has arguably been better this year, and it will be fun assuming GT comes to play. Miami pounding Wisconsin and getting revenge for last year is another silver lining to how it shook out.

Really happy for Fleck, his staff and the team. Not that excited that it's Detroit. Really hoped they would end up in the Redbox.

I thought they would get to 8 wins and be headed to Gator bowl.

Have you heard we're a young team? An additional 14 practices is the most valuable part of getting to a bowl. At this point, more time to develop the kids is what I'm most excited about.

I'm pumped that we even made a bowl game after the Illinois game.
I'm mad that we did so poorly for so long against mediocre teams after seeing what we did to Purdue.
I'm glad we get the extra practices and some good exposure.
I'm mad at the Big 10 and the bowls for putting a team with the same record as us and who lost to us by 30 in the Music City Bowl.
I'm glad that the program is trending upwards and our defense is no longer horrible.

I guess it depends on how I look at it. Overall I tend to be more mad because we could have been an 8+ win team if Rossi was DC all along.

The location isn't great but a bowl is a bowl. Should be fun for the team, gives the team extra practices, gives younger guys a chance to play in another big game, and gives Cashman a chance to end his time with the Gophers on the field.

Looks like we got camel humps here. I wonder who are in the Woohoo and the Boo bumps.

Thankful that the team made it to a Bowl this season. They deserved it after pulling a victory against Wisconsin ending a fourteen-year drought. The Seniors deserved to go out on a high note.

It may be the bottom of the barrel bowl for a P5 team, but they have an interesting matchup between two P5 teams with contrasting styles. It will be a good test for the Gophers.

Last edited:

It may be the bottom of the barrel bowl for a P5 team, but they have an interesting matchup between two P5 teams with contrasting styles. It will be a good test for the Gophers.

It seems that way to Big Ten fans because the conference frequently hasn't had enough participants to fill it (particularly when the conference has had a playoff team) in recent years. It's been upgraded from its former days when it was the lowest Big Ten bowl and the opponent was a MAC team. Now the First Responders (formerly Heart of Dallas) is the lowest Big Ten bowl. The ACC had more bowl eligible teams (they still play only 8 conference games) and had teams going to lower bowls.

If you're willing to fly out on the evening off Christmas Day, you can get a round trip ticket on Spirit Airlines (I know, no frills!) for $103 round trip. There is a 6:52 PM flight out of MSP to Detroit. The round trip is $103 if you return Friday, Saturday or Sunday. If you come back Thursday, it's $162. It's a really good price for a flight and I'd go if it weren't for Christmas with the family.

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=...f.2018-12-28;c:USD;e:1;sd:1;t:f;sp:.USD.10240

Top Bottom