Bowl game excitement level

Bowl game excitement level

• Total voters
If you're willing to fly out on the evening off Christmas Day, you can get a round trip ticket on Spirit Airlines (I know, no frills!) for $103 round trip. There is a 6:52 PM flight out of MSP to Detroit. The round trip is $103 if you return Friday, Saturday or Sunday. If you come back Thursday, it's $162.

Was just looking at these flights. Too bad it is the day after Christmas as getting friends or spouse to want to go has been impossible for me. Especially since it is Detroit. Always wanted to try a flight on Spirit too.

Like others have said I'm proud of the team for winning 2 of their last 3 and feel the team is on an upwards trajectory. It's also a good matchup and kind of a fun place to for a couple of days. I am trying to find a way to make the trip this time. I wasn't that excited when the Gophers went 3 years ago, but I think it has to do with the team being more of an up and coming thing.

Only thing I don't like about the game is it being early evening in the middle of the week. Hopefully I can get off early to watch. Otherwise, I'm all good and excited for it. Vs a different Power 5 team who we haven't played yet and in a relatively new NFL stadium. I know Detroit isn't the preferred destination, from an on-the-field perspective, I'm glad we're capping off the season this way.

Was just looking at these flights. Too bad it is the day after Christmas as getting friends or spouse to want to go has been impossible for me. Especially since it is Detroit. Always wanted to try a flight on Spirit too.

I don't mind Spirit Airlines. You just have to understand the rules. They charge for carry-on bags, but you can take a small bag about the size of a briefcase that you can out under the seat. I'm willing to put up with a little inconvenience to save money - it's definitely no frills.

Selfishly, I am happy I get to see another Gopher game. It doesn't matter if the game was in Memphis, Nashville, New York, or San Jose the routine will be the same, as it is for every Gopher football game...I will get set up in my favorite chair with a bottle of pop. My wife will walk through on her way to the laundry room and ask how the Gophers are doing just to be polite and I will reply, fully aware that she isn't even listening to the answer. My daughter will walk through and say something like "I thought the Wisconsin game was the last game of the year". My son (if he's not working) will plop on the couch at any given moment in the first half and I will update him on everything to that point along with incorrectly predicting what the next play will be. He'll show some interest although I can see he is just humoring his old man. Then after about 5 minutes he'll start looking at his iPhone and will eventually take a nap.
It really is a sweet deal and for the most part no one bothers me. I am just happy I get to do it one more time this year so it really doesn't matter who or where the Gophers play. Hopefully one year soon this routine will be interrupted by a trip to a place like Pasedena. My wife said she would really like to go out there and see all the pretty flowers on some parade floats.

Last edited:

Selfishly, I am happy I get to see another Gopher game. It doesn't matter if the game was in Memphis, Nashville, New York, or San Jose the routine will be the same, as it is for every Gopher football game...I will get set up in my favorite chair with a bottle of pop. My wife will walk through on her way to the laundry room and ask how the Gophers are doing just to be polite and I will reply, fully aware that she isn't even listening to the answer. My daughter will walk through and say something like "I thought the Wisconsin game was the last game of the year". My son (if he's not working) will plop on the couch at any given moment in the first half and I will update him on everything to that point along with incorrectly predicting what the next play will be. He'll show some interest although I can see he is just humoring his old man. Then after about 5 minutes he'll start looking at his iPhone and will eventually take a nap.
It really is a sweet deal and for the most part no one bothers me. I am just happy I get to do it one more time this year so it really doesn't matter who or where the Gophers play. Hopefully one year soon this routine will be interrupted by a trip to a place like Pasedena. My wife said she would really like to go out there and see all the pretty flowers on some parade floats.

You could write holiday movies for the Hallmark channel. This. Was. Beautiful.

Oh my gosh! You are me! The only difference is I have to pause the game to get another load of laundry every now and then. My daughter started to watch a little more after I took her to the Northwestern game for her birthday. Hope rings eternal!

It doesn't really get much better than this.

94523d985d70e33c9aaf7605cf3b1d71.jpg

LOL, this is awesome.

We've made some fun memories around the holidays watching Gopher bowl games as well. It's sort of a tradition, and one we miss when they don't make one. We've attended two (Nashville and Orlando), but in the other years all the brothers are usually visiting my parents, so everyone goes out to watch the first half somewhere before returning home where the boys finish up the game in the basement. Since we're spread out across the country it's usually the only game all the boys watch together the whole season...so I definitely value the Gophers making a bowl.

Thanks. But a Hallmark movie isn't a Hallmark movie without a widow(er) and their child that moves to a new town and then physically bumps into some attractive person of the opposite sex, dropping whatever crap it is in their hands. Things might be testy at first but they'll learn to love one another despite the woman at one point mistaking the man's sister for another love interest.

What's the modern day version of "you''ll shoot your eye(s) out?"

GraniteCityGopher;1649743... What's the modern day version of "you''ll shoot your eye(s) out?"[/QUOTE said:
Send out a tweet that you'll regret later.

Thanks. But a Hallmark movie isn't a Hallmark movie without a widow(er) and their child that moves to a new town and then physically bumps into some attractive person of the opposite sex, dropping whatever crap it is in their hands. Things might be testy at first but they'll learn to love one another despite the woman at one point mistaking the man's sister for another love interest.

The setting is usually a small quaint town that has tons of small shops and beautiful buildings unlike the run-down, small towns we see littering the American landscape.

Love it. Gotta say Detroit is awesome only because I will be in Chicago for Christmas so the journey over to Detroit isn't going to be too bad. I'm see them play GT and the triple option

The setting is usually a small quaint town that has tons of small shops and beautiful buildings unlike the run-down, small towns we see littering the American landscape.

Yup! Even the homeless guys in those towns look dapper.

Top Bottom