Gophers to play Georgia Tech in Quick Lane Bowl

More
Replying to @GeorgiaTechFB @quicklanebowl @GopherFootball

Great job Georgia Tech. Reward your players for a good season by not fighting on their behalf for a game closer to home.

Well, now he knows how us northerners feel every bowl season.

The major bummer about this matchup is we'll be "wasting" much of the 15 practices on defending an offense that we'll never see again instead of expanding skill sets that will be useful next year. Nevertheless, go Gophers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't the offense get to practice too?

The major bummer about this matchup is we'll be "wasting" much of the 15 practices on defending an offense that we'll never see again instead of expanding skill sets that will be useful next year. Nevertheless, go Gophers!

/s ?

Doesn't Georgia southern run it?

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Apparently so as I read further through the thread. Not sure if it's the same type of option - at least the offense can use the time to progress further into the playbook!

It isn’t “awesome exposure”. It’s the Quicklane Bowl featuring MN and GT. It’s like a tree falling in the woods.

I wasn’t looking for exposure and I didn’t care where we played - just who we played. I wanted to play someone I would enjoy watching us play. GT is a complete downer to me. I’m glad you are happy.

We barely won six games and got blown out by U of I. If getting a solid ACC team is a downer to you then you need to check your entitlement.

Doesn't the offense get to practice too?

True- but the offense currently is more consistent and trustworthy than the D (yes the D looked better the last 3 games); but, me thinks the defense could better use the practice time against more conventional offenses? But I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Amen! Go Gophers! Looking forward to seeing the Gophers, in person, in the Quick Lane Bowl!

That is a really good point that I hadn't realized. Georgie Southern does run the same offense. It's a bit of a tradition there ... and in fact is where Paul Johnson started with the triple option. Then went to Navy, then Georgia Tech.

So actually yes, it will get banked for the game against GS, which will not be an easy game (about like the Fresno game this year).

True- but the offense currently is more consistent and trustworthy than the D (yes the D looked better the last 3 games); but, me thinks the defense could better use the practice time against more conventional offenses? But I could be wrong.

The big difference in the extra time is that the team is preparing for a whole extra month of football and team activities instead of being at home playing Fortnite right now. Not the specific scheme the scout offense will be running in some of the practice time. Georgia Southern also runs the same O next year and many Big Ten teams run various option looks at times.

I’m pretty excited to play these guys. Love to watch triple option and certainly a challenge for the team. Even if the guys struggle to stay disciplined should be a competitive game as their defense doesn’t appear to be top shelf. I can think of far worse teams/matchups to watch.

The Dec 26th date ensures the game will be lightly attended but every city/destination has something to offer if you’re open to it.

We barely won six games and got blown out by U of I. If getting a solid ACC team is a downer to you then you need to check your entitlement.

I didn’t say we were too good for them. I’m not required to be excited to play GT. I have no excitement about them - that’s all. They run a gimmick offense and playing them does nothing for me. Entitlement? Go home.

It isn’t “awesome exposure”.

Objectively false

I wasn’t looking for exposure and I didn’t care where we played - just who we played. I wanted to play someone I would enjoy watching us play.

LOL - yeah who gives a crap what's good for the program and our future, I want whatever's good for me!

You're the j__k off holding up 50 cars because you're trying to turn left over a double-yellow line. Piss on you

Objectively false

LOL - yeah who gives a crap what's good for the program and our future, I want whatever's good for me!

I believe we were talking about why I wasn’t excited about GT. When did I even mention what is or isn’t good for the program?

I don't think many Gopher fans are going to be mad we're playing Georgia Tech. They are a fun team to watch. And I don't think Tech fans are going to be pissed about playing Minnesota. At least we're a p5 team they never play. No one wants to go to Detroit. Only thing worse would be playing a middling MAC team (In Detroit).

+1

Post of the day!!

Do they cover the upper deck with curtains? Just wondering.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure why some need this to be bigger to be better. Apparently, it isn’t enough for one to just be excited we made a Bowl - for some reason everyone needs to also be excited about the opponent and think the Quicklane Bowl will bring “awesome national exposure” that will transform our program.

Not sure why some need this to be bigger to be better. Apparently, it isn’t enough for one to just be excited we made a Bowl - for some reason everyone needs to also be excited about the opponent and think the Quicklane Bowl will bring “awesome national exposure” that will transform our program.

Yeah, weird that on a gopher message board the fans are excited about the game. Go figure. Hopefully you can post another six or seven messages in this thread to tell us more about what’s wrong with it. As a “fan” I’m sure you’re still struggling with the win a week ago.

Anyone want to start a separate thread on the actual opponent and post a bunch of awesome insight for me?

I like the fact they are playing a "different" team. That, to me, is part of the fun of a bowl game - see a team from a different part of the country with a different approach.

And, as I noted in another thread, I remember when the triple-option was a major trend in college FB, with teams running the wishbone or the veer. I covered a HS team for a few seasons that ran the wishbone.

The cliche is that it all revolves around the FB. Stop the FB dive, and you take away one leg of the triple-option. On the other hand, if the FB is getting consistent yardage up the middle, that opens up the perimeter for the QB and HB to go out and run option on the edge. And of course, if you completely sell out to stop the run, there is always the danger of sneaking a TE out for a shot down the middle. so, a challenge for the Gopher defense. Let's see what Rossi can come up with.

Al lot of VERY negative commentary on the GT Forum about being placed in this Bowl. Here are a sampling of comments where their opponent was worked into their comments:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See you fellas there. This isn't bad, we play a lower/mid tier Big10 program similar to us. MN fans are a fun bunch too so there won't be any bs between the fanbases.

Despite my disappointment, I decided to check how Minnesota's season has gone since I don't follow them.
They give up a LOT of points. We can rout them if our guys are motivated and ready.

I hope CPJ and the Jackets come out and drop 80 on Minnesota.

GT will blow up the Gophers

Georgia Tech will win 31-24 over Minnesota in a mostly empty Ford Field

Yeah, at least Minnesota is P5.

Wow. I don't know that I even know who the Golden Gophers are - I DEFINITELY didn't know that there was a bowl game in the tundra region in the dead of winter. Ick.

First game ever between Tech and Minnesota. Looking forward to it. I'm guessing we beat the slop out of them.

Quick Lane Bowl, December 26th in Detroit. Sink the boat.

Day after Xmas, on a Wed., in Detroit. What’s not to love for the fans? Next to the Rose Bowl, a dream for every football fan.

Sounds like GT fans rate us by our worst losses and don’t account for defensive improvement over the last quarter of the season. Can’t blame them as worst loss is the criteria the CFP used. It’s lazy, but so what?

Top Bottom