Gophers to play Georgia Tech in Quick Lane Bowl

Sounds like GT fans rate us by our worst losses and don’t account for defensive improvement over the last quarter of the season. Can’t blame them as worst loss is the criteria the CFP used. It’s lazy, but so what?

Yeah, the poster who commented about how Minnesota gives up a LOT of points, forgot to run the numbers on his team.

Minnesota PPG allowed: 27.92
GT PPG allowed: 27.46

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

It's not just any old day after Christmas, more importantly it's called Boxing Day or St. Stephens Day. Sadly, our country doesn't observe it.

We need OJ Smith and Royal Silver to play like they did against Wisconsin.
Like someone else said the Westin downtown is nice and walking distance to the stadium (if Ford Field is next to Tiger Field)
There is a very cool old supper club jazz club a block from the Westin
http://www.cliffbells.com/
Gophers avenge the Elite Eight loss to GT (1990) for us, Willie Burton and the rest of that excellent team.

It's not just any old day after Christmas, more importantly it's called Boxing Day or St. Stephens Day. Sadly, our country doesn't observe it.

They'll observe it right across the bridge in Windsor.

Sounds like GT fans rate us by our worst losses and don’t account for defensive improvement over the last quarter of the season. Can’t blame them as worst loss is the criteria the CFP used. It’s lazy, but so what?

I mean, given that they took an L against a middling USF, we shouldn't be too offended by that ;)

People under-weight the Gophers all the time. Fresno State fans were 100% confident that they were going to walk all over us only to discover Winfield Jr.

Not worth paying any attention to that noise. It's going to keep happening for awhile.

We've got some players, GT has a good system, hopefully it will be a good game!

Really disappointed by the match up. I don't care about any of these minor bowls, so it doesn't matter to me if it's the Redbox, Pinstripe, Music City, or Quick Lane bowl but I do feel for those who make the trips to the bowl games and will end up in Detroit instead of someplace warm. That said, the main perk of these bowl games is allegedly the 15 extra practices (even though for the Gophers those practices have never helped them move up to actual B1G contender) and having to spend a large majority of the time dedicated to defending an outdated offense doesn't seem conducive to player development. I'd like to see more of Rossi's defense as I am not completely on board with the decision to give him the full time job. I don't think we'll learn much of anything about the defense going forward by how they do against an option team. It is usually a benefit to have weeks to prepare for this offense, so on the bright side there should be a decent opportunity to get a win.

Yeah, the poster who commented about how Minnesota gives up a LOT of points, forgot to run the numbers on his team.

Minnesota PPG allowed: 27.92
GT PPG allowed: 27.46

Just because Minnesota is (was) a sieve doesn't mean GT isn't also a sieve. They were in the triple digits nationally in some defensive computer scores. Should be some points scored if both teams don't run out the clock.

I think some people saw that the Gophers could possibly play someone like Miami or Oregon or Virginia Tech and liked the idea of beating one of those teams even though they aren't any better than Georgia Tech (and in some cases lost to them). Like beating 6 win Bama in the Music City Bowl.

I think some people saw that the Gophers could possibly play someone like Miami or Oregon or Virginia Tech and liked the idea of beating one of those teams even though they aren't any better than Georgia Tech (and in some cases lost to them). Like beating 6 win Bama in the Music City Bowl.

Given the options, I would have much rather seen Gophs play someone like Stanford.

As the years go on, that win comes more memorable. That was a significant victory as it was the start of their dynasty run and Gophers ran all over that vaunted Alabama defense. No one was beating Alabama...then the Gophers game to town.

/s :cool:

Positive Spin: Maybe it’s an opportunity to continue to build on our recruiting “pipeline” in Georgia.

Personally, as the cards were falling, I was really hoping to play 10-3 Boise State in Dallas.

Detroit downtown is underrated.

Agree. I love Minneapolis, but let’s be honest, if we had a bowl game here and visitors were asking for suggestions on their visit, here’s what we’d do: recommend great tap rooms and restaurants (maybe a museum or historical site). Detroit has those, as well.

It's the only bowl on at the time and it's on ESPN.....but it's also on December 26th starting at 4:15. Definitely wouldn't call that great exposure.

True, but a lot of folks will be taking PTO that day sitting at home.

True, but a lot of folks will be taking PTO that day sitting at home.

Plus all the people who will watch while waiting to catch a flight. We'll be huge if there's a blizzard!

Why does a crappy city like Detroit have a bowl game while Minneapolis doesn't? If your going to go to a cold weather city for a bowl in a dome there should at least be things to do.

The Windsor Ballet is always lovely.

When you are 6-6 you get what you get. That being said, the Gophers were disrespected by this selection and that shouldn't surprise anybody. The wife and I were fired up about traveling for a bowl game, not gonna happen to Detroit, sorry its just not.

This game is so blah!

Yuck. Wasting 15 days of practice to prepare for triple option that we'll never see in conference next year, our run defense is bad, and GA Tech coach retiring after it.

playing against the triple option is actually a very good learning experience for a defense. it helps defenders gain a better understanding of how to play disciplined, assignment-sound football with an emphasis on fundamentals. when I played in college we ran a triple option scheme, and our defensive coaches actually talked a lot about how going up a triple option offense in practice every day made them a much better defense. I think it will be good experience for the young Gopher defenders and they have a month to prepare.

Last edited:

I don’t get all the griping. Yeah the location sucks, but what’s wrong with playing GT? Who did you guys expect to play? It will be fun to watch us try to stop their offense. It will be challenging, but why be mad about getting a challenge? It might help prepare us for Georgia southern next year too.

playing against the triple option is actually a very good learning experience for a defense. it helps defenders gain a better understanding of how to play disciplined, assignment-sound football with an emphasis on fundamentals. when I played in college we ran a triple option scheme, and our defensive coaches actually talked a lot about how going up a triple option offense in practice every day made them a much better defense. I think it will be good experience for the young Gopher defenders and they have a month to prepare.

Exhibit one: What we did to Nebraska last year :)

Why are people so scared of the triple option? It's not that hard to stop. Your players dont have to be the greatest athletes whoever lived, they just need to be well coached, disciplined, and fundamentally sound. It's not like the wishbone has dominated the CFP.

Well we were bottom of the barrel of B1G bowl eligible teams, so knew this was coming.

As long as it's against a power 5 opponent, I'm happy. GT was a few games over .500 in the ACC as well.

Couldn't really care less unless we're jockeying for a good bowl like citrus a few years ago.

All focus on Rossi improving that D for next year with the extra practice.

Well we were bottom of the barrel of B1G bowl eligible teams, so knew this was coming.

As long as it's against a power 5 opponent, I'm happy. GT was a few games over .500 in the ACC as well.

Couldn't really care less unless we're jockeying for a good bowl like citrus a few years ago.

All focus on Rossi improving that D for next year with the extra practice.

Amen my Gopher brother! Here are a few reasons I am happy to be selected for the Bowl game.
- I enjoy watching the Gophers - this gives us one more chance to see the hopefully new and improved team.
- It represents the team is moving in a positive direction. We didn't get there last year so it's an improvement.
- One more game for the seniors and our last chance to see them.
- Extra practices help for next season
- Helps in recruiting
- Would love to see the team that destroyed Wisconsin show up one more time.
- Georgia Tech is a good team from a good conference but it's also a game that is winnable. Should be a good game.
- Detroit is Big Ten country and it's easy to get to. It's actually a lot cheaper than most destinations.
- Last on the list and definitely not the least - it sure beats the alternative!

Let's go Gophers - Row the Boat!!

I don’t get all the griping. Yeah the location sucks, but what’s wrong with playing GT? Who did you guys expect to play? It will be fun to watch us try to stop their offense. It will be challenging, but why be mad about getting a challenge? It might help prepare us for Georgia southern next year too.

we want bama

I'm happy with GT. I'd rather play them than a MAC school

Detroit isn't ideal, but hey. The only bowl game I would've gone too was the music city bowl

Top Bottom