We beat the number 21 team in the final CFB playoff rankings

West Fargo Gopher Fan

Section 114 Row 2
Reaction score
Fresno State. When is the last time we beat a team ranked in final 25 of playoff rankings? Maybe Nebraska under Kill? Washington State?

Fresno State. When is the last time we beat a team ranked in final 25 of playoff rankings? Maybe Nebraska under Kill? Washington State?

Somebody said in another thread this morning it was 1999...but that's final end of season (after bowl game) rankings. Not sure about after regular season.

Edit: I didn't see you said "playoff rankings." Those haven't been around long, obviously. But back to 1999 since a team we beat ended the year in the rankings.

Somebody said in another thread this morning it was 1999...but that's final end of season (after bowl game) rankings. Not sure about after regular season.

Edit: I didn't see you said "playoff rankings." Those haven't been around long, obviously. But back to 1999 since a team we beat ended the year in the rankings.

That changes this year if Fresno wins their bowl game

I think either 2013 or 2014 Nebraska was ranked at the end of the regular season in the AP poll, but fell out after losing their bowl game. Iowa fell out after we beat them at the end of the (I think) 2010 season.

One of three big victories this year, the others being Wisconsin and Purdue. Lost two close games to the B14 division winners - so played really well in 8 of 12 games, the other 4 being the blow-out losses to MD, NE, Iowa, Illinois. Have to do something about that!

One of three big victories this year, the others being Wisconsin and Purdue. Lost two close games to the B14 division winners - so played really well in 8 of 12 games, the other 4 being the blow-out losses to MD, NE, Iowa, Illinois. Have to do something about that!

If gophers lose to Purdue and Purdue scores one more point against Wisconsin. Ohio state might be in the playoff instead of oklahoma

If gophers lose to Purdue and Purdue scores one more point against Wisconsin. Ohio state might be in the playoff instead of oklahoma

Nah. OU avenged their only loss. Even if Purdue won 2 more games, it would’ve been OU.

If you told me we'd beat Wisc and Fresno... and Fresno would be the better win rankings wise I'd be kinda surprised.

I also think we got stupid lucky that Fresno for no damn good reason decided to RUTM a bunch.

I think ASU beats Fresno. ASU has been a surprisingly good team this year. They play very disciplined football under Herm Edwards and have a good DC. Also seem to be mentally tough. Should be a good match up. Not sure how motivated they’ll be though in the Las Vegas Bowl, one of the first bowls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think ASU beats Fresno. ASU has been a surprisingly good team this year. They play very disciplined football under Herm Edwards and have a good DC. Also seem to be mentally tough. Should be a good match up. Not sure how motivated they’ll be though in the Las Vegas Bowl, one of the first bowls.

Fresno's only losses were to us and BSU reg season.

If Fresno St. wins their bowl game, this will be the first win over a team that finishes the season in the top 25 of the AP or Coaches Poll since 1999.

MN is in good company.

Minnesota beat Fresno State (21)
Maryland beat Texas (15)
Iowa beat Iowa State (24)

None of these Big Ten teams are ranked today.

And teams that were ranked AFTER losing to Big Ten teams (but are no longer):
Utah State (after MSU)
Pitt (after Penn State)
Boston College (after Purdue)
Virginia (after Indiana)

It is remarkable that the AP and Coach’s polls don’t really have any credibility issues with the public (or, apparently the CFP committee). In 2018 it seems like there needs to be a way to evaluate teams that is somehow connected to reality.

MN is in good company.

Minnesota beat Fresno State (21)
Maryland beat Texas (15)
Iowa beat Iowa State (24)

None of these Big Ten teams are ranked today.

And teams that were ranked AFTER losing to Big Ten teams (but are no longer):
Utah State (after MSU)
Pitt (after Penn State)
Boston College (after Purdue)
Virginia (after Indiana)

It is remarkable that the AP and Coach’s polls don’t really have any credibility issues with the public (or, apparently the CFP committee). In 2018 it seems like there needs to be a way to evaluate teams that is somehow connected to reality.

There needs to be way to rate teams in which 9 games schedule (which brings a conferences overall record closer to 0.500) isn't punished by having their collective ratings go down by 10-20 points per team because they play more conference games.

There needs to be way to rate teams in which 9 games schedule (which brings a conferences overall record closer to 0.500) isn't punished by having their collective ratings go down by 10-20 points per team because they play more conference games.

Totally agree.

As much as fans want great games, the “polling system” destroys any team or conference that dares to play a challenging schedule. And the system then covers its own ass by citing SOS metrics based on its own (biased, and mostly uninformed) rankings. :pig:

That said, how does the B1G not realize it is destroying the brand of its teams by playing an additional divisional crossover game? OSU is undefeated, in the CFP, and probably “ranked” #1 or #2 if they had played The Citdel or Austin Peay instead of Purdue.

In the three years The B1G has played 9 games, they have been left out of the CFP twice. In a era where you are evaluated by voters almost entirely based on W/L records, you need to protect that record the way the SEC does.

Totally agree.

As much as fans want great games, the “polling system” destroys any team or conference that dares to play a challenging schedule. And the system then covers its own ass by citing SOS metrics based on its own (biased, and mostly uninformed) rankings. :pig:

That said, how does the B1G not realize it is destroying the brand of its teams by playing an additional divisional crossover game? OSU is undefeated, in the CFP, and probably “ranked” #1 or #2 if they had played The Citdel or Austin Peay instead of Purdue.

In the three years The B1G has played 9 games, they have been left out of the CFP twice. In a era where you are evaluated by voters almost entirely based on W/L records, you need to protect that record the way the SEC does.

Great point!

Top Bottom