Votes: 21 28.4%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 39 52.7%
  • UCF

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 9.5%

• Total voters
If we’re valuing the regular season, wins and losses, conference champions then UCF absolutely has to be in. If you’re going off the eye test and recruiting rankings then you’re probably pulling for Georgia.

Notre Dame hasn’t lost although they haven’t looked that impressive to me this year.
Ohio State had a serious derp vs Purdue but has been impressive to end the season.
Oklahoma doesn’t have any impressive wins and a loss to a mediocre Texas team
Georgia lost to LSU and Alabama. Disqualified.

If you want competitive games OSU. Oklahoma plays zero defense.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Georgia lost twice to the likely #1 seed. I don't care how close they played them. Unless one subscribes to the "third times the charm" logic, I don't see why Georgia should be in the CFP.
Agreed no 2 loss team should be in CFP.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Agree with those that are saying it will be Oklahoma. Ohio State would probably beat them head to head but that loss to Purdue is going to haunt Ohio State.

It's time for an 8 team playoff.

1) Alabama
2) Clemson
3) Notre Dame
4) Oklahoma
5) Ohio State
6) Georgia
7) UCF
8) Washington

It's time for an 8 team playoff.

1) Alabama
2) Clemson
3) Notre Dame
4) Oklahoma
5) Ohio State
6) Georgia
7) UCF
8) Washington

I believe that if we went to an 8 team playoff with first round games at home the top 8 would end like this:
1) Bama
2) Clemson
3) Georgia
4) Notre Dame
5) Oklahoma
6) Ohio state
7) Michigan
8) Florida

Talking heads would be arguing for LSU to be in over Michigan and Florida

I feel like Ohio State should be #4 rather than Oklahoma since they were dropped in the rankings for a couple of other teams in the last couple of weeks of the season despite better wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time for a true playoff. The 5 Power-5 Champs get auto-bids. The remaining 3 are selected from the other 5 conference champions, with consideration to Independents. This year's bracket should be as follows (traditionally tiered per Sagarin ratings):

1) Alabama vs 8) Fresno State
4) Oklahoma vs 5) Notre Dame

3) Ohio State vs 6) Washington (Rose Bowl)
2) Clemson vs 7) UCF

I believe that if we went to an 8 team playoff with first round games at home the top 8 would end like this:
1) Bama
2) Clemson
3) Georgia
4) Notre Dame
5) Oklahoma
6) Ohio state
7) Michigan
8) Florida

I'm not sure the PAC-12 would go for that.

This “playoff” continues to be idiotic, with repeat matchup conference championship games and polls and committees basically determining who gets a shot. There needs to be a legitimate playoff with 8,12, or 16 teams. Eliminate Conf champ mostly repeat games and play a legitimate playoff.

Agreed. When you get to eight teams, you got something. Until then it's borderline farce. The arguments that arise don't increase interest, they diminish the product.

JTG

I'm not sure the PAC-12 would go for that.

What makes you think there would be any criteria in an 8 team playoff to include automatic bids.
Are they really going to design a system where going into this weekend 3 of the 8 could’ve been northwestern, Pitt, and Utah?

Oklahoma is in and that's the right decision.

S&P actually had the Sooners defense rated worse last year, and they went toe to toe with Georgia in the playoffs.

Time for a true playoff. The 5 Power-5 Champs get auto-bids. The remaining 3 are selected from the other 5 conference champions, with consideration to Independents. This year's bracket should be as follows (traditionally tiered per Sagarin ratings):

1) Alabama vs 8) Fresno State
4) Oklahoma vs 5) Notre Dame

3) Ohio State vs 6) Washington (Rose Bowl)
2) Clemson vs 7) UCF

To be honest, I don't follow closely enough to speak to your ratings. But I'm 100% on board with the format. Was just about to say the same thing myself.

Does anyone recall when the argument against a playoff was because our fragile student-athletes couldn't play that many games? That was before we added a 12th regular-season game. And conference championships.

Reminds me of Winston Churchill's quote about Americans: You can always count on them to do the right thing, after they've exhausted all other possibilities.

JTG

Yeah, it's time for an eight team. From the very beginning having a four team playoff when there are five main conferences seemed strange, not to mention the fact that it takes a big red marker and x's out the entire Group of Five from the start.

The five Power Five conference champions, plus three at-large bids. Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Washington. Then, take in Notre Dame, Georgia and UCF. If need be, reduce the season to 11 games, other teams can still earn six wins and snag a bowl game.

The final fourth spot will always be subjective, as we've seen today. It's just a never ending debate.

From a Group of Five perspective, this is probably the best option, to at least give them an opportunity. Otherwise, no matter who they scheduled five years ago for their non-con, their conference season will always be called out as weak and it kills their playoff hopes on week 1. If the playoff doesn't expand, you may as well split the FBS.

With the Power Five, I think it makes sense, too. Go back to that 2014 season, imagine if that TCU team ended up in the playoff, that was a great team. I know the playoff is supposed to take the four best team, but you never know what will happen until you take the field.

In the context of this year, yeah, I think the committee made the right decision within their parameters. Oklahoma had a better loss than Ohio State and only had one loss, so, it makes sense.

Both lines are double-digits. And an 8-team playoff would somehow be a good thing? Lol

The college football playoffs are games I will likely avoid...like I do with the NFL. Four teams I despise doesn't help entice me.

I don't think that Georgia should be in the playoff but I would love to see them matched against UCF in a New Years six bowl.

That would be a fun game.

I'm fine with the 4-team playoff as it preserves the big bowl games (even if watered down somewhat) and the "best" team is ensured the opportunity to win it all.

That said, I would love to see the NCAA simply add a rule where a loss in a conference championship game automatically disqualifies a team in the final four. In that scenario, the conference championships would be a quasi first round of a larger playoff and would act as an elimination round (but not an automatic entry to the final four). No tears would be cried for a supposed top team that loses in the conference championship game. For a true playoff example, if NDSU was ranked the #1 FCS team but lost in the playoff quarterfinals, they are eliminated. It would seem ridiculous to pass them to the final four even with a loss; but that's exactly what has happened on occasion in the current CFP format.

If we’re valuing the regular season, wins and losses, conference champions then UCF absolutely has to be in. If you’re going off the eye test and recruiting rankings then you’re probably pulling for Georgia.

Notre Dame hasn’t lost although they haven’t looked that impressive to me this year.
Ohio State had a serious derp vs Purdue but has been impressive to end the season.
Oklahoma doesn’t have any impressive wins and a loss to a mediocre Texas team
Georgia lost to LSU and Alabama. Disqualified.

Yeah, Irish throw a wrench in it for sure....really hard to tell how good they are. IMO, Irish would for sure lose to Bama, OK, and OSU. As for Clemson, ACC sure seemed weak this year, and they beat a very average Auburn, so pretty hard to gage how good they are as well.

1) Bama
2) Clemson
3) Georgia
4) Notre Dame
5) Oklahoma
6) Ohio state
7) Michigan
8) Florida

Florida?

Exhibit A on why humans need to get out of the selection process.

I like Notre Dame a lot +10.5. That's too much for a Clemson team who didn't really beat anyone great to get.

Notre Dame beat some of the best teams from Clemson's schedule (Syracuse, Pitt, FSU), plus Michigan, Northwestern, Stanford, and at USC. For me it's really debatable if Clemson should even be the #2.

If ND played a typical Big Ten schedule, how many losses would they have this year? I say minimum of 2.

They played 10 power 5 teams this year. They beat the second best Big Ten team in Michigan. They played Stanford, Florida St, USC, and Virginia Tech. Most years that’s one of the hardest schedules in the country. Either way, it’s pretty comparable to playing in the Big Ten or ACC.

Florida?

Exhibit A on why humans need to get out of the selection process.

If it was an 8 team playoff who do you think a selection committee puts in? Who do you think ESPN wants in?

UCF still won’t go

They played 10 power 5 teams this year. They beat the second best Big Ten team in Michigan. They played Stanford, Florida St, USC, and Virginia Tech. Most years that’s one of the hardest schedules in the country. Either way, it’s pretty comparable to playing in the Big Ten or ACC.

Yup. In fact, I’d be willing to argue they had a tougher schedule than Oklahoma and Clemson

Both Irish and Clemson strength of schedule is ranked well below Gophers.

Gerry DiNardo on BTN crying about tOSU being left out of CFP two years in a row and Georgia being ranked ahead of tOSU?

Just tell Urban not to get beaten by Purdue by a bunch.

DiNardo SEC bias? Woooooo that is new to me!

I don’t know how anyone can confidently say Oklahoma is a better team than Ohio State. There aren’t close to enough data points to say that for certain. It would be an interesting game. Two powerhouse offenses with middling (OSU) to bad (Oklahoma) defenses.

Bottom line is it’s a beauty contest. The 3rd and 4th ranked teams have not only defeated the two top seeds several times but won the title twice in the CFP’s short history. The NFL also has examples of underdog teams winning through to capture the title. Nobody asterisks their titles.

Hopefully we’ll get an expansion soon.

Gerry DiNardo on BTN crying about tOSU being left out of CFP two years in a row and Georgia being ranked ahead of tOSU?

Just tell Urban not to get beaten by Purdue by a bunch.

DiNardo SEC bias? Woooooo that is new to me!

The Big Ten's 9 game schedule is killing the Big Ten's chances.

With 9 conference games, your bringing the whole conference a game closer to a 0.500 record.

If you look at various rankings, it's a big reason why SEC and ACC teams are all ranked higher collectively with many teams near 20's and 30's in rankings and Big Ten with more teams in 50's and 60's.
Give each of those Big Ten teams one less cross over game and give us a cupcake, and suddenly OSU has more top 25 wins.

Top Bottom