B1G has 12 teams in top 50 of KenPom

obobo55

Reaction score
As of this morning. Illinois is 88, Rutgers 108.

That is simply outstanding and foretells a crazy conference season. Gonna have to earn every road win and protecting the home court is going to be crucial. Could see a bunch if teams with 11-9 records.

Not a stretch to see 10-10 or 9-11 B1G teams make the NCAA tournament with how many quality wins will be available for the taking.

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk

It's amazing considering how down the Big Ten appeared to be a year ago

Picked to finish 12th still, in spite of 6-1 and 4 P5 wins already. Tough league.

There still has to be a lot of pre/last season in KenPom. I can't think of any other reason why Purdue would be 13th at 5-2 with 2 quality losses but no wins better than 4 the Gophers have.

Last edited:

Picked to finish 12th still, in spite of 6-1 and 4 P5 wins already. Tough league.

There still has to be a lot of pre/last season in KenPom. I can't think of any other reason why Purdue would be 13th at 5-2 with 2 quality losses but no wins better than 4 the Gophers have.

Yes, need to take kenpom with a grain of salt until last year clears, whenever that is. Wish they would just not put out kenpom until get enuf of this year's data.

Yes, need to take kenpom with a grain of salt until last year clears, whenever that is. Wish they would just not put out kenpom until get enuf of this year's data.

If they waited then they wouldn’t get all the kenpom fanboys on the internet hyping it

Not a stretch to see 10-10 or 9-11 B1G teams make the NCAA tournament with how many quality wins will be available for the taking.

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk

I think a 9-11 conference record would be a stretch. I think there will be at least 7 teams above that and the committee would be unlikely to go to #8 if that team had a losing conference record.

The rating systems that are quite similar (KenPom, BPI, and Sagarin) all suffer from beginning-of-the-season placement bias. That was the one big advantage of RPI but RPI took more games played to get any kind of reliable rating.

For most of the B1G, they have already completed the majority of the top tier NC games (Gavitt, Challenge, exempt tourneys). They are 23-17 against the "power" leagues with 17 of those still to play.

The rating systems that are quite similar (KenPom, BPI, and Sagarin) all suffer from beginning-of-the-season placement bias. That was the one big advantage of RPI but RPI took more games played to get any kind of reliable rating.

Early season KenPom placements are generally pretty good. Better than humans or RPI at telling us who will win or how good we are.

Now, there are always 5-10 teams rated extremely low that make a slow climb but they are somewhat few and far between.

Top Bottom