Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by beavergopher View Post
    He is a 5 Star at pouting. Bardo called him out last night.
    It's so annoying to see him act like a 5 year old. And since we are on the annoying topic, Stephen Bardo... tough to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post
    I get that he is an emotional player but he has to figure out how to control his body language. Pitino has mentioned it multiple times and the color commentator last night brought it up as well. He gets so down when things are not going well for him.
    He goes to bad body language the instant something bad happens - even things that don't involve him. He just doesn't seem to have the heart and fight that most guys have.

hopefully he starts balling pretty soon or expect him to move onto a fast paced mid major program

Not sure what his on court demeanor has to do with anything, it's how he performs that matters, he needs to take a cue from Coffey and play with fire and enthusiasm, he can pout when something goes wrong if he comes out playing, he played well on offense last night but boy he has no clue, no fundamentals from a defensive perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by jovs View Post
    Not sure what his on court demeanor has to do with anything.
    Court, bench, locker room, practice demeanor matters, a disgruntle player can take it's toll on a team.
    Last edited by HOOP DREAMS; 12-06-2018 at 01:06 PM.

How bad is NYC high school basketball? Jelly is a legend in NYC and I can think of 4 current MN high school PG better than IW.
    Please consider donating to this site; especially if you are a frequent poster.

A reminder that the player who I last remember with really poor body language on the court was Dupree McBrayer. And I seem to recall he got into some difficulties off the court - and we love him now, right?

Coffey did not make the trip down the bench to connect with his teammates last night when he picked up his 3rd foul. He just sat.
    After IW scored last night the woman behind me complained about him hotdogging. But then Coffey, yet to explode into effectiveness, was given pass on his failed dunk that sky-rocketed 20 feet in the air.

There is something called confirmation bias, which we all are subject to. If you've decided he's a failure, the thngs that register will be in that category and the things that dont fit your view pass by unnoticed. And of course, if you like to be the first one who knew The Truth, it crosses into another kind of perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by LesBolstad View Post
    How bad is NYC high school basketball? Jelly is a legend in NYC and I can think of 4 current MN high school PG better than IW.
    Yeah, NYC produces very few good basketball players.

Being a legend doesn't make him great. He started a movement of kids staying at their schools, not leaving for private schools in other areas. He and his buddies created Jelly Fam. Its more than just him and its more than just him being good.

But I'm sure there aren't any good players in NYC either.

My frustration with Jelly is that he's always seemed more concerned with making the flashy, highlight reel play or pass rather than becoming a solid contributing player on BOTH ends of the court. He's shown no interest in playing defense and is a liability against good, quick point guards. They blow by him and create more foul issues for the bigs inside which we certainly don't need. Not sure how much work he put in over the summer on his jump shooting but no improvement has been evident. Maybe his defensive issues are keeping him on the bench as much as his shooting woes or body language. But when you put them all together, he's a mess. Too bad, because he could be a very important part of this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
    A reminder that the player who I last remember with really poor body language on the court was Dupree McBrayer. And I seem to recall he got into some difficulties off the court - and we love him now, right?

Coffey did not make the trip down the bench to connect with his teammates last night when he picked up his 3rd foul. He just sat.
    After IW scored last night the woman behind me complained about him hotdogging. But then Coffey, yet to explode into effectiveness, was given pass on his failed dunk that sky-rocketed 20 feet in the air.

There is something called confirmation bias, which we all are subject to. If you've decided he's a failure, the thngs that register will be in that category and the things that dont fit your view pass by unnoticed. And of course, if you like to be the first one who knew The Truth, it crosses into another kind of perspective.
    This is exactly right. Mason had terrible body language, too... but we forgave him because he put the ball in the hoop. Coffey broke through yesterday, but before last night, i’d have argued that 30 lbs and a tendency to barrel into the lane instead of finesse were (and still may be) the biggest differences between IW and Coffey.

I’m looking forward to watching Pitino and IW develop together. Kid has way too much talent to run him off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you seriously just type that Coffey and Washington are the same only that Coffey has 30 pounds on him?

Probably will wind up playing for the Harlem Globetrotters

Quote Originally Posted by BballJones View Post
    It's so annoying to see him act like a 5 year old. And since we are on the annoying topic, Stephen Bardo... tough to listen to.
    I'll agree with the first part of your statement, and disagree with the second. I think Stephen Bardo is a tremendous color analyst. He's interesting, he's funny, he's knowledgeable.

Blog Entries

Default BTN play by play & color guys

Quote Originally Posted by Urbandale View Post
    I'll agree with the first part of your statement, and disagree with the second. I think Stephen Bardo is a tremendous color analyst. He's interesting, he's funny, he's knowledgeable.
    Interesting to hear others' opinions of Bardo. I love him as an analyst, my wife can't stand him. Says he too monotone!

Generally speaking, I think BTN has an excellent stable of play by play (Kevin Kugler, Cory Provus, etc.) and coloar guys (Bardo, Shon Morris, Lisa Byington, Robbie Hummel). ... Jon Crispin is the guy I have a hard time listening to. He's a little too positive for me ("Everything/everyone is great!"), and he clearly likes to hear himself speak. Seems like a pretty good chap, though!

And I still miss Jimmy Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by big10guy View Post
    My frustration with Jelly is that he's always seemed more concerned with making the flashy, highlight reel play or pass rather than becoming a solid contributing player on BOTH ends of the court. He's shown no interest in playing defense and is a liability against good, quick point guards. They blow by him and create more foul issues for the bigs inside which we certainly don't need. Not sure how much work he put in over the summer on his jump shooting but no improvement has been evident. Maybe his defensive issues are keeping him on the bench as much as his shooting woes or body language. But when you put them all together, he's a mess. Too bad, because he could be a very important part of this team.
    That was my interpretation of IW's bench time in the second half last night: his defensive liability. Richard knew that, if they were going to come back in the game, it was going to have to be more than outscoring the Huskers; they were going to have to tighten the D up - which they did, partially by having Washington on the bench.