Where my Jelly Fam H8ers at?

Seeing a player go backwards can't be all on them. As an educator, I think educators have to see when they are failing to make the needed connection to support success. Yes, its up to IW to make the internal connections - I'm in no way saying he should be coddled, but I'm seeing no interaction with the coaching staff during the game. At least Izzo connects, pleads, yells at all his players when they screw up - taking advantage of teachable moments. I'm not really seeing anyone on the coaching staff engaging. Have they given up? Maybe that was Ben Johnson's role.

I agree with much of that. Furthermore, unlike academic educators, these athletic "educators" have the following factors going for them:

1) they're not having to educate just anybody who enrolls (they invited and persuaded these kids to come to their program);

2) they have multiple educators teaching the same subject to a class of only 13 students (not counting walk-ons); and

3) because they are doing something they love and are being paid (through full scholarships) to do it, these students have a higher level of motivation than most students enrolled in the academy.

Last edited:

Right. Any suggestion otherwise is just plain silly.

JTG

True. It will be about IW being able to grow and change. The opportunity is right in front of him. The efficiency numbers have to be there when he has the chance to play. Pitino will play whoever gives the team the best chance to win. It is a team. There are a to of guys that shine on a you tube tour but there are a ton of power conference schools that had no interest in him. IW has the chance to prove people wrong and even better to help the team win. He should not be a punching bag 7 weeks into a sophomore year. He had 1000 times the hype of how good he was before he came here nearly all from those that had never seen him in a team game. Pitino was well aware of the work IW had to do to become complete and consistent.

Who starts for Dupree against North Florida? Stull or Jelly?

If only they would award IW a participation trophy everything would be just fine. Maybe before the game instead of afterwards.

Anyone believe the team captains and other players haven't been talking with IW? It can't just be Pitino and the staff trying to make a B1G player out of him. He has a huge upside. I do not think we are likely too ever see it. I hope I am wrong.

If the team had some real "leaders", they would be pulling IW aside and telling him what they need for him to do to be a productive part of this team. Is that easy for a kid to do? Not always. Is that what leaders and team captains are supposed to do? YES. Sometimes only when they hear a different voice (other than the coach) does a kid finally "get it". So I would hope that guys like Murphy, Coffey and even McBrayer are the ones talking to IW.

If the team had some real "leaders", they would be pulling IW aside and telling him what they need for him to do to be a productive part of this team. Is that easy for a kid to do? Not always. Is that what leaders and team captains are supposed to do? YES. Sometimes only when they hear a different voice (other than the coach) does a kid finally "get it". So I would hope that guys like Murphy, Coffey and even McBrayer are the ones talking to IW.

From what I've heard, players have done this and he seems receptive and is a really good guy/friend but when he gets the ball in his hands he just cannot seem to help himself.

IW steps up and had a great game tonight. Enough idle speculation!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At this point, all of these guys are in a developmental stage of their lives. The idea that this is 100% the kid ignores that fact. Or that everything can be accomplished with a carrot/stick approach regarding playing time. There's more to coaching than reward and punishment via playing time.

Seeing a player go backwards can't be all on them. As an educator, I think educators have to see when they are failing to make the needed connection to support success. Yes, its up to IW to make the internal connections - I'm in no way saying he should be coddled, but I'm seeing no interaction with the coaching staff during the game. At least Izzo connects, pleads, yells at all his players when they screw up - taking advantage of teachable moments. I'm not really seeing anyone on the coaching staff engaging. Have they given up? Maybe that was Ben Johnson's role.

If you think yelling at IW when he is already pouting is going to help him, I have a lot of bridges to sell you. IW is really mentally soft.

Game tonight is a loss without him playing and NCAA tourney hopes would have taken a major hit.

Unrealistic to expect a repeat performance this year but if he maintains the floor general (General Washington has a nice ring to it) mentality we are in good shape.

Game tonight is a loss without him playing and NCAA tourney hopes would have taken a major hit.

Unrealistic to expect a repeat performance this year but if he maintains the floor general (General Washington has a nice ring to it) mentality we are in good shape.

IW was absolutely spectacular tonight on offense!! THAT is what we’ve all been waiting for. It was night and day from most of his performances so far. If he distributes the ball and makes good decisions, going forward, even half as well as he did tonight, then the Gophers will have their PG. Just a few days ago I questioned his heart, hopefully none of us question it again, because that was really fun.

IW was absolutely spectacular tonight on offense!! THAT is what we’ve all been waiting for. It was night and day from most of his performances so far. If he distributes the ball and makes good decisions, going forward, even half as well as he did tonight, then the Gophers will have their PG. Just a few days ago I questioned his heart, hopefully none of us question it again, because that was really fun.

Good post. I applaud IW. Feels like he decided to stop pouting, buy into the game plan & shut us critics up.

Wowwww

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk

I hope Pitino goes with IW in the starting lineup next time out. Having a direct impact on 40 out of 80 points should earn him a starting nod. I know he has had Isiah in at the end of some big games which is where you want your best on the floor but the kid deserves a starting spot based on this last performance.

IW has to have a massive chip on his shoulder if he hears all the $#!+ people talk about him on this board.

I feel like Washington is turning into a really weird topic on this board. I hope we can go through the rest of the year without alternating between a good game for IW where half the board says "HA! I TOLD YOU SO!" and then a bad game for IW where the other half of the board says "HA! I TOLD YOU SO!"

Two 10 plus assist games in a row for Washington. A number of the assists were impressive as well.

Jury is still out, but the good signs are beginning to appear.

10 assists against only 2 turnovers if I'm not mistaken. Impressive again, even though he did take a couple ill-advised shots. He set Gabe up for a couple easy 3s that were missed; gotta knock those down.

Couple bad shots but Pitino let him play through it. Washington had a few nice defensive plays as well.

Should have been more than 10 assists as it was a bad shooting night. 20% from 3. Overall % not awful because of all the Murphy drive and slam and Oturu layups. Our jump-shooting % must have been off-the-charts bad. Nice night by IW. The team looked better when he was on the floor. I feel bad for him as often he is in the game with the second team. There aren’t a lot of scoring options there, so who is Isaiah supposed to pass to for a score?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When IW is on he is as good as it gets, the team starts shooting at a decent % I think they are going to be tough to beat.

I think the team could be really good if the players make the open shots IW has been providing. There’s been at least 20 or more IW assists the past two games left off the score sheet.

Two 10 plus assist games in a row for Washington. A number of the assists were impressive as well.

Look at the competition. When IW gets two 10 assist games in the B1G, then I will be impressed.

Look at the competition. When IW gets two 10 assist games in the B1G, then I will be impressed.

It will be more impressive against B1G teams, but don’t sell the effort short or overlook it. When is the last time anyone on this team has had 2 back to back assists game like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should have been more than 10 assists as it was a bad shooting night. 20% from 3. Overall % not awful because of all the Murphy drive and slam and Oturu layups. Our jump-shooting % must have been off-the-charts bad. Nice night by IW. The team looked better when he was on the floor. I feel bad for him as often he is in the game with the second team. There aren’t a lot of scoring options there, so who is Isaiah supposed to pass to for a score?
Tough to have a pass first mentality with some of those line ups.
I'm liking the vibe between him and Dupree.

Opponent has to be taken into account but getting 10 assists against any team is impressive, especially when you consider how many shots this team misses which could have led to even more assists.

No surprise that in these big assist games his minutes are really high as well. Hopefully the light is truly going on for him and this is the player he is going to be going forward.

Will be very interesting to see how he plays when we get back into conference play. Really hope we are seeing the start of something special with him because he is really really good at setting his teammates up with open looks. Unfortunately they are not exactly hitting those shots at the moment but can't fault IW for that.

Opponent has to be taken into account but getting 10 assists against any team is impressive, especially when you consider how many shots this team misses which could have led to even more assists.

No surprise that in these big assist games his minutes are really high as well. Hopefully the light is truly going on for him and this is the player he is going to be going forward.

Will be very interesting to see how he plays when we get back into conference play. Really hope we are seeing the start of something special with him because he is really really good at setting his teammates up with open looks. Unfortunately they are not exactly hitting those shots at the moment but can't fault IW for that.

Until he can prove he can make the perimeter shot consistently, B1G opponents are going give him those shots. If he is able to respond efficiently to the sag and not take the bait to chuck it up too soon in the shot clock, he'll be an effective point guard in conference play.

Top Bottom