2016 = 7
2018 = 6

Total FBS wins of the 2016 and 2018 FBS teams the Gophers beat:
2016 = 25 wins
2018 = 35 wins

That’s an average of 3.57 FBS wins by each FBS team MN beat in 2016

and 5.83 FBS wins by each FBS team MN beat in 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting comparison. Might have been tougher this year than 2 years ago. I can see that.

The 2016 team beat a bunch of crappy teams in the regular season and lost to all the good teams. The 2018 team lost to several crappy teams but also beat some good teams including a top 25 win.

I'm getting bored with 2016 comparisons though. I believe the past couple coaching regimes will seem like distant memory in a year or two. If we're looking back for comparison, I expect the Gophers to reach at least the 2003 talent level within two years which was pretty darn good; except without the Metrodome bad luck curse.

The 2016 team beat a bunch of crappy teams in the regular season and lost to all the good teams. The 2018 team lost to several crappy teams but also beat some good teams including a top 25 win.

I'm getting bored with 2016 comparisons though. I believe the past couple coaching regimes will seem like distant memory in a year or two. If we're looking back for comparison, I expect the Gophers to reach at least the 2003 talent level within two years which was pretty darn good; except without the Metrodome bad luck curse.
That 2003 season may have had the weakest schedule in the last 30 years.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

There's the old adage "Win when you're supposed to and get lucky when you have to" and I think that summed up the 2016 season. No flies on that team for doing just that. Regardless of schedule, I think the difference is that we really stunk it up a couple of times this year in games we should have performed much better and perhaps even won. I don't remember the 2016 really stinking it up in a game beginning-to-end.

7* regular season FBS wins in 2016

Regular season wins over FBS team:
2016 = 7
2018 = 6

Total FBS wins of the 2016 and 2018 FBS teams the Gophers beat:
2016 = 25 wins
2018 = 35 wins

That’s an average of 3.57 FBS wins by each FBS team MN beat in 2016

and 5.83 FBS wins by each FBS team MN beat in 2018

Sigh, okay if we have to.

Losses by 2016 Gopher Team:

Penn State - Lost by 3 points in O.T.

Iowa by 7

Nebraska by 7

Badgers by 14

Losses by 2018 Gopher Team:

Maryland by 29

Iowa by 17

tOSU by 16

Nebraska by 25

Illinois by 24

Northwestern by 10

Had one fine win in 2016. No great wins and no blowout losses.

Had 3 blowout losses in 2018 and zero one score losses. Had three fine wins and one GREAT win!

Don't know why people want to keep dwelling in the past or try and make this season seem better than it is.

What it is is the year the got the AXE BACK and hopefully end the season on a two game winning streak!

Iowa by 7

Nebraska by 7

Badgers by 14

Maryland by 29

Iowa by 17

tOSU by 16

Nebraska by 25

Illinois by 24

Northwestern by 10

Had one fine win in 2016. No great wins and no blowout losses.

Had 3 blowout losses in 2018 and zero one score losses. Had three fine wins and one GREAT win!

Don't know why people want to keep dwelling in the past or try and make this season seem better than it is.

What it is is the year the got the AXE BACK and hopefully end the season on a two game winning streak!

+1. Why do we need to downplay any of our wins. Thankful for all of them. Hopefully many more in the future.

Margin of loss doesn't bother me in comparisons.

Winning the Axe is probably the biggest factor. Almost as big as winning the Holiday Bowl.

Margin of loss doesn't bother me in comparisons.

Winning the Axe is probably the biggest factor. Almost as big as winning the Holiday Bowl.

Understandable for you. Though it did for the people buying tickets and sitting in the stands.

Though I guess you've been working on your OCD and your WSU fixation. I mean we all see that you got it in, but at least you didn't didn't mention them by name.

Congrats! :clap:

Iowa by 7

Nebraska by 7

Badgers by 14

Maryland by 29

Iowa by 17

tOSU by 16

Nebraska by 25

Illinois by 24

Northwestern by 10

I'm getting bored with 2016 comparisons though. I believe the past couple coaching regimes will seem like distant memory in a year or two.

Agreed.

I admired Kill and Claeys when they were here. They're not here anymore.

JTG

Yep, I don't even hate the AD any more.

I still don't like Coyle but I don't despise him like I did. The fact that he'll actually wear the school colors on occasion doesn't hurt either.

2016 we beat teams with the following end of season Sagarin ratings.

Lost to:

In 2018 (with current Sag):
Beat:

Lost to:

2018 had 3 losses to rating 51 and worse
2016 had 0 losses at 51 and worse

2016 had 2 Top 50 wins
2018 had 3 with a chance maybe for 4 Top 50 wins

You can't change your schedule to pick opponents, but the average ranking across all teams were:

2016: 75.3
2018: 57.0

In summary, 2018 schedule was tougher overall, but had 3 bad losses, including one really bad one.
2016 didn't have the bad losses, but was an easier schedule overall

If blowout losses bother you a lot, 2016 is a better season for you to be a fan.
If winning a trophy game was more important, than maybe 2018 was better.

Last edited:

2016 we beat teams with the following end of season Sagarin ratings...

While your at it go back and look at the ratings of the teams when they played the game. That would make quite a difference correct? Though you probably did it already, which is why you used the other ones. :D

If what people think about the teams means something to you than you can turn yourself into a pretzel trying to justify your theory. Which you just did.

If the actual results on the field mean anything to you than 2016 was a much, better season than 2017 or 2018.

Though as has been said ad infinitum hard to beat bringing the Axe back home.

Oh, this took me about 3-4 minutes to do, so if you think that bothers me you're wrong.

Again.

While your at it go back and look at the ratings of the teams when they played the game. That would make quite a difference correct? Though you probably did it already, which is why you used the other ones. :D

If what people think about the teams means something to you than you can turn yourself into a pretzel trying to justify your theory. Which you just did.

If the actual results on the field mean anything to you than 2016 was a much, better season than 2017 or 2018.

Oh, this took me about 3-4 minutes to do, so if you think that bothers me you're wrong.

Again.

I'd rather look at end of season. I hate early season rankings. I don't think there should be a any polls until like week 4-6. Some teams are terribly underrated and that's hard to overcome and some teams (hello SEC) are overrated.

(I understand he said Sargain rankings but I'm on my soapbox, ok?) ;)

The 2016 PSU loss was awful. We had that game locked up. It felt like a Mason game. I was there in Happy Valley enjoying the certain win and then the bottom fell out.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

I'd rather look at end of season. I hate early season rankings. I don't think there should be a any polls until like week 4-6. Some teams are terribly underrated and that's hard to overcome and some teams (hello SEC) are overrated.

(I understand he said Sargain rankings but I'm on my soapbox, ok?) ;)

While that's understandable the old cliche "it's about when you play them" holds true. Actual results on the field are the best barometer of all.

Last edited:

Again.

I have no idea because I don't have weekly rankings from 2016.
I didn't compare. I'm guessing it shakes out about the same unless if you know a high ranked early season opponent we beat who tanked in 2016.

The 2016 PSU loss was awful. We had that game locked up. It felt like a Mason game. I was there in Happy Valley enjoying the certain win and then the bottom fell out.

This is a game that probably scores better with EOS rankings than it did at the time. PSU early on wasn't supposed to be good, but after they came back and beat us in a game we thought we should win, they went out and had a very good season. Their End of Season Sagarin was 13. When we played them I'm sure it would have been far lower.

This is a game that probably scores better with EOS rankings than it did at the time. PSU early on wasn't supposed to be good, but after they came back and beat us in a game we thought we should win, they went out and had a very good season. Their End of Season Sagarin was 13. When we played them I'm sure it would have been far lower.

2016 season was trash. 2018 season was trash. come on guys it's time to expect better.

So basically, we have better wins and worse losses than in 2016.

Sounds accurate. Fleck has said with this group there would be peaks and valleys...shocker it came true. Also said finding consistency is the next step. Hopefully that comes with additional time and talent.

Analysis was not needed.

Oh, I don't know about that. Seemed like interesting data to me. But then I'd rather look at numbers than listen to someone's opinion, and I appreciate the homework.

JTG

With Kills emphasis on defense and running the ball it makes sense that their highs weren't as high but their lows weren't as low. With Fleck's offense I think the home run potential is there but it's maybe a little more prone to an occasional stinker of a game too.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

With Kills emphasis on defense and running the ball it makes sense that their highs weren't as high but their lows weren't as low. With Fleck's offense I think the home run potential is there but it's maybe a little more prone to an occasional stinker of a game too.

Especially when he who shall not be named was DC for most of the season. It's become obvious that was the primary source of our problems this year, even more so than the injuries and -- dare I say -- ute.

JTG

Oh, I don't know about that. Seemed like interesting data to me. But then I'd rather look at numbers than listen to someone's opinion, and I appreciate the homework.

JTG
Agree

I really hope we win at least 9 games next year so that people can finally move past this particular debate. 2016 was a nice year, we had an easy schedule (we did, it is just a fact, not a shot at the team or the quality of the wins) and won the games we were supposed to before pulling a bit of an upset in the bowl game.

Every year is different and there is nothing to be gained by comparing them. 2016 was a good year, it wasn't a great year because we fell short against the good teams on the schedule up until the bowl game and we were not in the mix for the division title.

2018 was a frustrating year because there were a couple really solid wins combined with some really ugly loses.

Both 2016 and 2018 featured 2 conference wins over teams that ended up being bowl eligible so it wasn't like either year set the conference on fire. Neither year was great, neither year was terrible, but if I had to pick one or the other I go with 2018 because of the Wisconsin win.

Time to let this one go. For those that are still hanging onto 2016, if that is the high water mark for you of what you want this program to be then you have really low expectations. Hopefully in the next few years Fleck is able to lead this team to a season that will make the ones still clinging to the past finally let go and start looking to the future.

The Axe win gives this past season a little extra jolt but in the end any season that doesn't involve the team being in the mix for the division title isn't really one to hang onto long term regardless of how many wins are next to the teams name at the end of the year.

Top Bottom