Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
    I'm an admitted fair weather Gopher hockey fan (hockey is just not one of my favorite sports, which is kind of a bummer living in this state). I used to be a hockey fan as a kid back in the 70's and 80's. I remember listening to both Gopher (Steve Christoff, Broten brothers, etc...) and North Stars games (loved listening to Al Shaver) on the radio! My fading interest in hockey began at the frustrating departure of the North Stars to Dallas. I'm positive my hockey interest would have rekindled more had the Wild been able to resurrect the North Stars name, logo and uniforms.

I have some questions surrounding the departure from the WCHA joining of the B1G. I saw the post from someone saying B1G Hockey is here to stay and get over it. Sadly, I'm guessing that is correct. However, I'm assuming that would be the case if the B1G and their member schools are making more money in this arrangement. Anyone know if that's the case? Here are many basic questions:

1. Are people nationwide tuning in to hockey games on BTN?

2. Was creating B1G Hockey mandated by the conference when they reached 6 teams? If yes, obviously they could rescind the requirement if they wanted to.

3. Are other B1G schools like Wisconsin, Michigan, and Michigan State suffering similar diminishing attendance and interest in their teams? If no, then disbanding B1G Hockey obviously is not going to happen.

If the B1G and their schools determined that by disbanding they'd make more money and generally put their hockey programs in better positions, I'd think it's a no brainer. This is andecdotal, but based on three friends of mine who were big Gopher hockey fans, like many others, they have just lost interest since joining the B1G. They say the same thing: return to the the WCHA and have games every Friday and Saturday night at 7:00, this would bring them back. Obviously, this would require the WCHA to allow back Minnesota and Wisconsin and boot out a couple of bottom rung teams. I'm assuming BTN could arrange a deal to broadcast WCHA and CCHA (assuming Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State end up there) games.

Again, if keeping B1G Hockey alive is more money for schools, then yes, I'll understand this argument is a mute point.
    1. No they are not

2. Yes it was mandated

3. College hockey nationwide is on a downswing attendance wise. As are really all sports outside of professional. Whether that’s due to TV, the new generation, price issues, is up for debate. They can’t and won’t back out of the conference due to the mandate. It’s here to stay and overall has very good teams (3/4 teams in frozen four last year were B10 teams). Also the WCHA is dead so idk what people are calling for it to come back. Would be kore likely to join the NCHC or have to make a new league entirely and load it

Part of the problem is that most of the other hockey schools in the state have been whipping up on the Gophers for the last how many years.

And if I remember correctly....didn't athletic department set aside a large number of tickets for corporate sponsors that largely go unused?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stocker08 View Post
    Part of the problem is that most of the other hockey schools in the state have been whipping up on the Gophers for the last how many years.

And if I remember correctly....didn't athletic department set aside a large number of tickets for corporate sponsors that largely go unused?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Of all the things our athletic department cares about, they have made it pretty clear that game day atmosphere and full stadiums is not a priority, especially not when compared to short term revenue.