Does Central Florida have a path?

They want to reach the promised land in football playoffs? Pay to play against P5 schools until they established traction. Bottom line, their 12-0 doesn't stack up to the selection committee IMHO.

It is disappointing to me that this has to be a conversation. It doesn't need to be an argument about P5 vs mid-majors. It doesn't need to be about arbitrarily choosing the best teams. It can be about choosing the most deserving teams. In fact, it doesn't need to be about "choosing" anything.

I have a big problem with a bunch of old guys arbitrarily choosing who has a chance to win the title. If it were me, the playoff would be 6 teams. The 5 major conference winners, and the highest ranked mid-major. Bring back a modernized BCS ranking system to rank the top 25 and ultimately choose the top mid-major and who gets the first round bye. No more humans. No more controversy. The problem with the BCS was not that it was a computer, it was that there are always more than 2 deserving teams to play for a title.

3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5 next Saturday. The winners go to whichever bowl game is slated for the semis that year. No conflicts with finals week.

Part of me honestly believes ESPN lobbied for this system so that we could keep the controversy, and keep the eyes on the TV and the news articles. It didn't need to be this way. There was a way to realistically make 95% of people happy and remove 100% of the uncertainty.

The way it is now, a small conference school cannot win a title. If we're not going to change it, just come out and say that so that the small conference schools can go create their own playoff. Stop lying to them.

Last edited:

Half the P5 teams would have a great shot at going undefeated with UCFs schedule.

Half the P5 teams would have a great shot at going undefeated with UCFs schedule.

Yet at the same time, Maryland beat the toughest team on Oklahoma’s schedule.
The gophers beat the team that beat Ohio State

Half the teams would have a chance. Most teams wouldn’t go unbeaten against it.

UCF > temple > Maryland > Texas > Oklahoma

When people make arguments like Georgia would beat team X
Teams X Y Z would go unbeaten against team As schedule

That’s when I know people are running out of objective measurement arguments

It is disappointing to me that this has to be a conversation. It doesn't need to be an argument about P5 vs mid-majors. It doesn't need to be about arbitrarily choosing the best teams. It can be about choosing the most deserving teams. In fact, it doesn't need to be about "choosing" anything.

I have a big problem with a bunch of old guys arbitrarily choosing who has a chance to win the title. If it were me, the playoff would be 6 teams. The 5 major conference winners, and the highest ranked mid-major. Bring back a modernized BCS ranking system to rank the top 25 and ultimately choose the top mid-major and who gets the first round bye. No more humans. No more controversy. The problem with the BCS was not that it was a computer, it was that there are always more than 2 deserving teams to play for a title.

3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5 next Saturday. The winners go to whichever bowl game is slated for the semis that year. No conflicts with finals week.

Part of me honestly believes ESPN lobbied for this system so that we could keep the controversy, and keep the eyes on the TV and the news articles. It didn't need to be this way. There was a way to realistically make 95% of people happy and remove 100% of the uncertainty.

The way it is now, a small conference school cannot win a title. If we're not going to change it, just come out and say that so that the small conference schools can go create their own playoff. Stop lying to them.

You're kidding, right? Any computer system is arbitrarily designed to function "as it should". No matter how many teams and no matter what the system is designed to do, it would be designed to be "as it should". Humans write the program to...reflect what they would have done.

Computers and programs don't come up with themselves.

4 teams beg 6, 6 begs 8, 8 begs 12, and so on. Someone is going to be pi$$ed.

You will need an Artificial Intelligence machine learning number crunching computer program that keep tabs of massive statistics that can crunch some numeric value conclusions to a "true ranking".

But, then it boils down to politics, money, and logistics. Politics being the biggest challenge. We can argue until we go horizontal and still leave people dissatisfied.

I just want to focus on the Gophers ever winning the Big Ten Title first.

You're kidding, right? Any computer system is arbitrarily designed to function "as it should". No matter how many teams and no matter what the system is designed to do, it would be designed to be "as it should". Humans write the program to...reflect what they would have done.

Yes I was kidding...

Yes, someone will always be pissed, but 4 teams is not enough. You could make that argument for everything. Why not 32 teams in the NFL playoffs? Why not 24 in the NBA playoffs? Why not 96 in the big dance? Yes I’m being obnoxious, but I think we can all agree that there are multiple good arguments for 6-8.

A computer program is written by humans, sure, but also humans that are experts in statistics. I’m sick of guys who make the rules up as they go. Do we value conference championships? Sometimes. Do we value good wins? Sometimes? Do we value good losses? Sometimes. Nobody knows the rules. At the end of the day it’s just an eye test. It’s 13 people who don’t know anymore than you and me deciding the fate of these teams. A statistical model would at least be transparent and consistent.

Last edited:

Glad that's over, UCF. You can whip up some more NC rings.

Yet at the same time, Maryland beat the toughest team on Oklahoma’s schedule.
The gophers beat the team that beat Ohio State

Half the teams would have a chance. Most teams wouldn’t go unbeaten against it.

UCF > temple > Maryland > Texas > Oklahoma

When people make arguments like Georgia would beat team X
Teams X Y Z would go unbeaten against team As schedule

That’s when I know people are running out of objective measurement arguments

I didn’t make my argument based on who beat who. I simply looked at the teams on the schedule, noticed they all were middling at best, and theorized that there are a lot of teams out there that would be favored against all of those opponents and if they avoided upsets they too would go undefeated. But if we do want to look at who beat who...so UCF beat no one of note, and as far as I could tell the best team any of UCF’s opponents beat was Pitt beating Syracuse.

The only path a weak schedule team would have is if they route everyone they play in the season. It's more about showing you are an elite-level team through the eye test than going undefeated. You've got to consistently obliterate your weaker competition.

Sneaking by Army, Temple and Memphis twice sunk them. Oklahoma or Georgia wouldn't mess around with that schedule nearly as much.

Last edited:

College hockey has a computer ranking system and does everything for the NCAA tournament completely by what the computer rankings say. Everyone knows the system going into it and rarely do you hear of anyone that gets left out making a big fit about missing. They know if they were that far down the 16-team pecking order, that they could get bumped. I'm not saying football should go to 16 teams, but maybe 6 or 8.

Top Bottom