Does Central Florida have a path?

balds

Reaction score
It's narrow, but I think they do, if all of the following happen:

Alabama defeats Georgia
Texas defeats Oklahoma
Northwestern defeats Ohio St.
UCF defeats Memphis.

Under that scenario, would they put in a 2 loss team (Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio St. or Michigan) over a 0 loss UCF?

Alabama defeats Georgia
Texas defeats Oklahoma
UCF defeats Memphis.

Under that scenario, would they put in a 2 loss team (Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio St. or Michigan) over a 0 loss UCF?

With UCF’s QB being done I think that wouldn’t help them even in your scenario. Right or wrong that’d be a factor.

Alabama defeats Georgia
Texas defeats Oklahoma
UCF defeats Memphis.

Short answer - yes. It wouldn't be Michigan (DQed because of asskicking administered by OSU), but they would put one of the other 3 and justify it however they see fit.

Not this year. If they somehow stay undefeated through their bowl game and go undefeated next year as well, maybe.

Throw a Clemson loss to Pittsburgh in there for good measure.
That would be fun.

It would be interesting (and impossible) if it was Alabama, Georgia, UCF, and Notre Dame.
ACC, Big12, Pac12, and Big 10 all not represented.

Eight team playoff is passed.

How can they keep the defending champs out ��

Not this year. If they somehow stay undefeated through their bowl game and go undefeated next year as well, maybe.

This was the narrative after last years undefeated season. I agree that there is no path this year or probably any year with only 4 teams in the playoff.

This was the narrative after last years undefeated season. I agree that there is no path this year or probably any year with only 4 teams in the playoff.

Maybe if they stopped scheduling cupcakes in the non conference. They have no business scheduling FCS teams and Sun Belt teams for non conference games when they play in a weak conference. Plus they're only going to have 12 games on their resume' instead of 13 due to the UNC game being cancelled.

The fact that they have a 10-2 Michigan above them says a lot. If UCF and Michigan were flipped in the rankings this past week, then I could see a possibility of them getting in if Georgia, Oklahoma, and Ohio State each lost by 7 points or more and UCF won in dominant fashion over Memphis.

Maybe if they stopped scheduling cupcakes in the non conference. They have no business scheduling FCS teams and Sun Belt teams for non conference games when they play in a weak conference. Plus they're only going to have 12 games on their resume' instead of 13 due to the UNC game being cancelled.

UCF claims they can't get Power 5 teams to schedule them, according to their coach. They seem willing and able to play anyone, but I agree, they have to beef up that schedule a bit.

Unfortunately no. Last year they went undefeated. Including a win over Auburn (only team to beat Alabama) in the Peach Bowl. If their starting QB was still in play, I'd be disappointed with selection committee if they chose a two loss team over them.

But we're talking about the NCAA here. They're going to butt shovel whoever they want.

Not without Milton. Even if Clemson, OK, Georgia and OSU all lose I don't think they'd be able to sneak in

My feelings regarding the playoff: it should be an eight team playoff so teams like UCF can dream of playing in it and all power conferences can have their champion participate, regardless of their record. 5 locked in spots and 3 at large spots to account for teams like UCF and highly ranked non conf champions. But, if we are only going to have 4 teams, sorry UCF, no room for you. And, even at four teams I still say at minimum you need to win your conference.

Did UCF expect to be riding a lengthy win streak? Why punish them for a "weak" schedule when opponents are determined years in advance?

My feelings regarding the playoff: it should be an eight team playoff so teams like UCF can dream of playing in it and all power conferences can have their champion participate, regardless of their record. 5 locked in spots and 3 at large spots to account for teams like UCF and highly ranked non conf champions. But, if we are only going to have 4 teams, sorry UCF, no room for you. And, even at four teams I still say at minimum you need to win your conference.

Win your conference? So no Notre Dame? I’d be good with that. I wish P5 teams would stop scheduling ND and force them into a conference. It’s ridiculous they get a pass this weekend.

It would be fun to force them into a conference but they would be covered by those 3 slots available for non conf champs (as would any other independents)

It would be fun to force them into a conference but they would be covered by those 3 slots available for non conf champs (as would any other independents)

Fair point. I hate that they get a pass on a conference championship game.

Fair point. I hate that they get a pass on a conference championship game.
Believe it or not, but a discussion on the Sirius College Football station centered around the value of the SEC championship game. Several claimed that they would get 2 into the CFP every year if the game were not played. The presumption being they knock each other out. They danced around the $30 million CBS pays for the game though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Did UCF expect to be riding a lengthy win streak? Why punish them for a "weak" schedule when opponents are determined years in advance?

They have complete control over who they schedule.

The answer for UCF is simple. If they want to be considered for the CFP they need to go out and play at least three (maybe 4) P5 opponents. And one of those needs to be against a traditional powerhouse (i.e. NOT Pitt).

If there were an 8 team playoff it would become a race to the bottom for G5 teams to schedule the easiest schedules they can possibly contrive.

UCF claims they can't get Power 5 teams to schedule them, according to their coach. They seem willing and able to play anyone, but I agree, they have to beef up that schedule a bit.

Yep, it takes two teams to make it happen. And even if they are able to schedule someone now, the game probably wouldn't happen for another 3-4 years. Games like that are usually scheduled pretty far in advance.

They have complete control over who they schedule.

The answer for UCF is simple. If they want to be considered for the CFP they need to go out and play at least three (maybe 4) P5 opponents. And one of those needs to be against a traditional powerhouse (i.e. NOT Pitt).

If there were an 8 team playoff it would become a race to the bottom for G5 teams to schedule the easiest schedules they can possibly contrive.

They dont have complete control over who they schedule, the other team needs to agree to play them.

Yep, it takes two teams to make it happen. And even if they are able to schedule someone now, the game probably wouldn't happen for another 3-4 years. Games like that are usually scheduled pretty far in advance.
I would ask if UCF is actively trying to upgrade the schedule now? Or are they on statistics quo?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I posted this in another thread a little while back.

Simple fact is, it's a myth that the big boys don't want to schedule UCF. See below. In addition, their non-con schedule next year includes Stanford and Pitt. In 2020, UCF will play GA Tech and UNC. In 2021 and 2022, they will play Louisville.

Yeah they schedule the games far in advance, so they didn't know that UNC and Louisville would fall off a cliff. But Just because their planned schedule didn't turn out as good as they thought doesn't mean they should still be rewarded for it. If you win every game but your schedule sucks, its too bad you do not deserve to get into the CFP over teams who have a 11-0 or 10-1 record but have 4-5 wins that are as good/better than your BEST win. The CFP committee will never reward playing a ****ty non-con schedule and if you are not a P5 team you need to go out of your way to prove you are as good as the best P5 teams. If UCF thinks they are playoff material, then don't schedule 2 games against P5 and then 2 games against Florida A&M, FAU, South Carolina St etc. You should be playing 3-4 P5 teams and 2 of them better be solid/bowl eligible. Overall, UCF has absolutely no argument for being in the CFP this year. And that is before their QB went down which makes the argument moot as well - if you think the committee would ignore their absolute best player being out for the year, I don't know what to tell you.

UCF games vs power 5 teams since 2010:
2010: NC State (loss), Kansas State (loss), Georgia (bowl, win)
2011: Boston College (win)
2012: Ohio State (loss), Missouri (loss)
2013: Penn State (win), South Carolina (loss), Louisville (win), Baylor (bowl, win)
2014: Penn State (loss), Missouri (loss), NC State (bowl, loss)
2015: Stanford (loss), South Carolina (loss)
2016: Michigan (loss), Maryland (loss)
2017: Maryland (win), Georgia Tech (cancelled), Auburn (bowl, win)
2018: UNC (cancelled), Pittsburgh (win)

overall record vs P5 teams since 2010: 8-12

You could just as easily argue that they shouldn't be rewarded for a "lucky" easy schedule either.

I know UCF lost their QB but the fact that Memphis dropped 38 on them in the first half illustrates that UCF might not be quite ready to hang with the big boys.

I think people are forgetting that this years UCF team is clearly not one of the 4 best teams in the country. Last years team IMO had an argument (with the bowl game in hindsight) but this year no way. There have been non-power 5 teams from prior years that might have been top 4 worthy (or deserved a shot) but 2018 UCF is not one of them.

Top Bottom