Film Room: Gophers' Defense limits Jonathan Taylor's rushing success

DanielHouse

Reaction score
I analyzed multiple areas of the Gophers' defense and explained why the unit has evolved so much under Joe Rossi's leadership. In this game, interior defensive line play helped Minnesota slow Jonathan Taylor down. Defensive tackle O.J. Smith took on double teams and the penetration they managed to get helped linebackers flow downhill. The defense was disciplined in alignments and helped prevent explosive plays from occurring. The simple adjustments this unit has made over the past three weeks made a big difference. There is no doubt Joe Rossi deserved to earn the full-time defensive coordinator role at the end of this game. I plan to have an offensive video up eventually, but until then, here's a look at the Gophers' defense vs. Wisconsin:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-pMzhvZ4iCM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Awesome stuff. I really like the man-zone disguise on the CD16 interception.

Helps to have a big guy like Smith in the middle to require double-teams by the opponent. Helps push things toward the sidelines and if everyone behind the front stays disciplined, that usually means good things.

Congrats to Rossi! Thanks Daniel. Time to look forward.

smith looks like a big ol tree stump. He simply stands up and no one can move him.

Top Bottom