Maybe I should wait

Rog

Reaction score
until after the Bowl game but what effect on 2019 season ticket sales do you think the Wisc blow out will have?

If every thing looks rosy, strong recruiting class etc., I can see a jump in sales. (maybe even a "big" jump.

I wouldn't expect a big jump from two games. Gonna take longer than that.

Yeah feel the same as Slab. I hope that by the end of next season we see better crowds than at the end of this season.

Jump will be significant if they win the bowl game and with the scheduled home games next year.

I wouldn't expect a big jump from two games. Gonna take longer than that.

Agree. The big thing the win does do though is it gives the marketing team some things to lean on as they do their feeble best to sell the team. Nothing personal against the people that work there but the marketing for the major sports at the U has not been good for a long time.

I feel if we would have embarrassed Wisconsin earlier in the season and not at the end of the season, the momentum could have catapulted this team to 8 wins instead of 6, maybe even more. With that greater attendance and more season ticket sales leading into next year. That’s also assuming Robb smith wasn’t the D coordinator.

Agree. The big thing the win does do though is it gives the marketing team some things to lean on as they do their feeble best to sell the team. Nothing personal against the people that work there but the marketing for the major sports at the U has not been good for a long time.

Yep. Ticket sales mostly flat unless some new initiatives are launched. And those initiatives will likely be aimed at corporations rather than the poor huddled masses.

JTG

I doubt there is a big jump for season tickets. I can see single game ticket sales increasing, but that will be based upon next year's play.
The problem is that you still have the same tired and dysfunctional marketing scheme. You still have over-priced tickets with no incentive for families with children to come to the games. I laid out the connection that UMN should make with youth football organizations. Make those groups and families feel special and you will build up a strong base of future Gopher ticket buyers. But, UMN isn't forward thinking.
Bottom line...no appreciative increase in season ticket sales will happen.

Jump will be significant if they win the bowl game and with the scheduled home games next year.

Disagree. Don't think it will make one sh*t bit of difference. It is going to take a "successful" season or tow to see any real bump.

But then again, what the H do I know?

This is a tremendous opportunity to sell more season tickets next year. If the marketing department is worth their salt they should be able to come up with some clever ideas to get some more people in the seats. No excuses - they should be a much easier sell this time around.

I think it will take a full season of success and maybe even exceeding expectations to see a bump in season ticket sales. That and/or an elimination of the scholarship "donation" fee. I don't think we are re-upping for next year as the cost for value just isn't there for what we pay in Sec 112. Plus, I don't think we would have any difficulty buying back in a couple years from now should they really build to a contender. Switching to the 3-pack or pizza plan next year.

I don't think a lot of the attend/don't attend decisions are made a year in advance. I think they're made within 24 or 48 hours of the game.

The vast majority of the season-ticket holders show up for the games. some of the corporate accounts may stay away depending on weather and the opponent. Obviously, if there are more season-ticket holders, more people will be in the seats.

But, the big swing group for attendance are the single-game ticket buyers, fair-weather fans and bandwagon jumpers, along with fans of the visiting team. I think a lot of those people make their decisions based on the weather forecast. if it's expected to be cold, raining or snowing, they stay away.

To really change the situation, Gopher football has to become a real attraction - one that people do not want to miss no matter what the weather is like. That involves winning games, but it also involves the overall perception of the program, game-day atmosphere, concessions, tailgating, etc.

We'll know Gopher football has "arrived" when 40,000+ people are willing to sit outdoors on a cold, rainy, sleeting miserable day - because they cannot bear the thought of missing a game. In the era of 60" TV's with 4-K resolution, that may be a pipe dream.

I don't think a lot of the attend/don't attend decisions are made a year in advance. I think they're made within 24 or 48 hours of the game.

The vast majority of the season-ticket holders show up for the games. some of the corporate accounts may stay away depending on weather and the opponent. Obviously, if there are more season-ticket holders, more people will be in the seats.

But, the big swing group for attendance are the single-game ticket buyers, fair-weather fans and bandwagon jumpers, along with fans of the visiting team. I think a lot of those people make their decisions based on the weather forecast. if it's expected to be cold, raining or snowing, they stay away.

To really change the situation, Gopher football has to become a real attraction - one that people do not want to miss no matter what the weather is like. That involves winning games, but it also involves the overall perception of the program, game-day atmosphere, concessions, tailgating, etc.

We'll know Gopher football has "arrived" when 40,000+ people are willing to sit outdoors on a cold, rainy, sleeting miserable day - because they cannot bear the thought of missing a game. In the era of 60" TV's with 4-K resolution, that may be a pipe dream.

To get there, along with winning, I think improvements to gameday atmosphere are needed too (not many though). Again, survey those who attended the games and ask what things could improve about the gameday experience. Take the top 2-3 answers and work on improving those. With that on top of a couple of 8+ win seasons in a row, I think we can get past that 40,000+ attendance mark.

This years schedule was a big factor on why I dropped my tickets. Next years schedule is so much more attractive, so I would bet season tickets rise by 20% with the Wisconsin win, better schedule and a little momentum in the win column.

I don't think there will be much of a bump. Perhaps a small one but at least it should slow or stop the free-fall that has been going on in season ticket renewals in recent years.

My guess is things will start about the same way this season ended (although more butts in the seats thanks to better early season weather) and now that the axe has more people's attention, perhaps growing crowds as the season progresses, provided the team continues to show promise and wins.

I think the home schedule is the biggest factor if there is a jump in season ticket sales.

Question---what percentage increase in season ticket sales would happen if they just all of a sudden dropped the seat license fees for next year and beyond? (only implement them years down the road, if we ever get to a point where every game is sold out)

Question---what percentage increase in season ticket sales would happen if they just all of a sudden dropped the seat license fees for next year and beyond? (only implement them years down the road, if we ever get to a point where every game is sold out)

Now that it isn’t tax deductible, they should drop it an include it in the price of the tickets.

If they marketed it adequately (and it seems like they've already missed the boat on that for next year), I think you could get an immediate jump of 10-20%. In other words, 2000 to 4000 more season tickets.

JTG

Now that it isn’t tax deductible, they should drop it an include it in the price of the tickets.

Unless there has been a recent change, Big Ten schools share a portion of gate revenues. Something like 1/3 of the ticket revenues go into a pool that is then shared equally among the schools. There are minimum and maximum contributions and I believe that the max is capped at $1M per game. Donations aren't part of that calculation, so there is still an incentive for the schools to request donations as part of the ticketing process vs. simply raising the ticket prices.

I don't think there will be much of a bump. Perhaps a small one but at least it should slow or stop the free-fall that has been going on in season ticket renewals in recent years.

My guess is things will start about the same way this season ended (although more butts in the seats thanks to better early season weather) and now that the axe has more people's attention, perhaps growing crowds as the season progresses, provided the team continues to show promise and wins.

Ditto. I can see the single game tickets having a good bump based on how the season progresses. A convincing win at Purdue and curb stomping Illinois (Homecoming I assume) to be 5-0 should ensure that the Nebby game is close to a sellout.

I could see Gophs having their own revenge tour in 2019.

Unless there has been a recent change, Big Ten schools share a portion of gate revenues. Something like 1/3 of the ticket revenues go into a pool that is then shared equally among the schools. There are minimum and maximum contributions and I believe that the max is capped at $1M per game. Donations aren't part of that calculation, so there is still an incentive for the schools to request donations as part of the ticketing process vs. simply raising the ticket prices.

Solid input. Thanks. Didn't know this information.

Ditto. I can see the single game tickets having a good bump based on how the season progresses. A convincing win at Purdue and curb stomping Illinois (Homecoming I assume) to be 5-0 should ensure that the Nebby game is close to a sellout.

I like the cut of your jib, PMWinSTP.

JTG

I can see it now.. 5-0 into Neb, win an exciting game. Steamroll Rutgers and then finally break the losing streak PJ has against Maryland, leaving us 8-0 going into a bye week before having Penn state at home. Gophers ranked in the top 15-20 (or higher), Talks about winning/clinching the west, and a hungry team entering the November stretch ready to prove that this team is the real deal...

Didn’t know that. That makes sense then

I can see it now.. 5-0 into Neb, win an exciting game. Steamroll Rutgers and then finally break the losing streak PJ has against Maryland, leaving us 8-0 going into a bye week before having Penn state at home. Gophers ranked in the top 15-20 (or higher), Talks about winning/clinching the west, and a hungry team entering the November stretch ready to prove that this team is the real deal...

Gameday Nov. 9 at The Bank...too soon?

I doubt there is a big jump for season tickets. I can see single game ticket sales increasing, but that will be based upon next year's play.
The problem is that you still have the same tired and dysfunctional marketing scheme. You still have over-priced tickets with no incentive for families with children to come to the games. I laid out the connection that UMN should make with youth football organizations. Make those groups and families feel special and you will build up a strong base of future Gopher ticket buyers. But, UMN isn't forward thinking.
Bottom line...no appreciative increase in season ticket sales will happen.

I've been stating that for years! I even suggested naming a section after some senior starters/ instate players, and inviting a group of youth to that section and calling it (example: "The Green Zone") after Seth Green, or if that is against NCAA rules, Goldy's section.

Much they can do including sending posters/ Weight lifting charts to "All" Minnesota High Schools. Create a vibe that makes children/ teenagers want to come to the games.

Souhan and Ruesse will be pissed if attendance is up next year.

Top Bottom