Doogie on Curry's return for Sunday's BT opener: "More unlikely than likely"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Doogie on Curry's return for Sunday's BT opener: "More unlikely than likely"

In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie said that Eric Curry's return for Sunday's BT opener is "more unlikely than likely" said he hasn't been completely ruled out but more likely will return later in December.

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie said that Eric Curry's return for Sunday's BT opener is "more unlikely than likely" said he hasn't been completely ruled out but more likely will return later in December.

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

Doogie not exactly taking a stance there. So he might not return, but then again he still could?

Doogie not exactly taking a stance there. So he might not return, but then again he still could?

You just described Doogie perfectly. "I have some huge news that might happen and if it does, I'll tell you I knew, but if it doesn't, I'll just say it never came to fruition"

You just described Doogie perfectly. "I have some huge news that might happen and if it does, I'll tell you I knew, but if it doesn't, I'll just say it never came to fruition"

His magic 8 ball said outlook not so good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curry thinks he's ready but is the coaching staff ready to take the chance?

All I know is that the first Big Ten game got here awfully fast. Is 9:00 PM Friday to an away game Sunday to start the Big Ten a schedule you'd set up, condone, plan? I'd say one of those December cupcakes on Thursday would have made waaaaay more sense for lots of reasons especially after traveling to Boston College Monday. Then play the US Bank experience in mid or later December.

All I know is that the first Big Ten game got here awfully fast. Is 9:00 PM Friday to an away game Sunday to start the Big Ten a schedule you'd set up, condone, plan? I'd say one of those December cupcakes on Thursday would have made waaaaay more sense for lots of reasons especially after traveling to Boston College Monday. Then play the US Bank experience in mid or later December.

Not only that, but playing OSU later would have broken up the dead period of the schedule. Instead, between 12/11 and 1/3 we play a total of 2 games, both against cupcakes.

I always thought or understood that Curry was scheduled to come back in mid-December or so, with the idea that he would be close to 100% by January, when the team goes into the bulk of the conference schedule. Yeah, it would be nice to have him for the 1st two conference games, but I think it's more important to have him 100% healthy by Jan 1 so he is ready to go for the heart of the conference schedule, the conference tournament, and whatever comes after that.

So, I read this as Doogie saying its unlikely that Curry comes back sooner than expected. Wow - that's a scoop.

Don't be surprised if we don't see Curry until towards the end of the season. He just had surgery. Anything calling for him coming back early is probably wishful thinking. Even when he does come back, I wouldn't expect a All Big Ten type player, or anywhere close to start. More than likely, Oturo has a better season than he does this year. He's been hurt for a season and a half and hasn't played a minute of bball. It is going to take a while to get him back in the groove.

Don't be surprised if we don't see Curry until towards the end of the season. He just had surgery. Anything calling for him coming back early is probably wishful thinking. Even when he does come back, I wouldn't expect a All Big Ten type player, or anywhere close to start. More than likely, Oturo has a better season than he does this year. He's been hurt for a season and a half and hasn't played a minute of bball. It is going to take a while to get him back in the groove.

he will be better than Oturo out of the gate....without a doubt, but I do agree it will take him while to get back in the grove.

he will be better than Oturo out of the gate....without a doubt, but I do agree it will take him while to get back in the grove.

University of Minnesota sophomore forward Eric Curry will miss four to six weeks after having left knee surgery, coach Richard Pitino said Monday (Oct. 29th). Just past 4 weeks now.

This is no knock on Oturo, but absolutely Curry is a better player. He'll be back some time in the next couple weeks, and we're going to need him.

Last edited:

Yeah, it's important for fans to not expect too much right away. Dude hasn't played a college game in a good long time. This is going to be a process.

Yeah, it's important for fans to not expect too much right away. Dude hasn't played a college game in a good long time. This is going to be a process.

Playing BB is certainly not like riding a bike, that's for sure.

So he's going to play. Thanks Doogie!

He had a knee scope to get rid of swelling and clean up stuff left over from his previous surgery. If I were a betting man, I would say he's back as early as next Saturday against Arkansas State. If they want to be extra cautious, they'll wait until later in December and use NC A&T and Mount St. Mary's as tuneups for the Big 10 season. I would argue the latter because you don't want to ramp him up for 2 games just to then have 10 days off.

I also don't think he'll be instantly better than Oturu, it will take time. Oturu has been very good thus far, but needs to be a little stronger finishing around the basket. I also think Curry's post-up game is stronger, but we won't know anything until we see him on a court in game action.

I agree we need a healthy Curry. Whether he is better than Oturu on day 1 is very debatable.

Curry's Freshmen numbers for the season:
20 mpg. 5.5ppg, 5.2 rbg, 1.2 ass, .7 blks. 43%FG, 70% FT, 17% 3pt (5-29)
Oturu's numbers against less competition:
23 mpg. 8.7ppg, 6.8rpg, .3 ass, 1.7blks. 51%FG, 56% FT, no 3pt ers.

Looks like Curry was a better passer, a better free throw shooter, and he thought he was a 3pt shooter--he was not.
Oturu is definitely a better shot blocker, and maybe a slightly better rebounder. He also understands he is not there to take perimeter shots.. an underated skill.

Curry plays a little more like a traditional 4, while Oturu is more of a 5. We definitely could use Curry's 240lbs.

I agree we need a healthy Curry. Whether he is better than Oturu on day 1 is very debatable.

Curry's Freshmen numbers for the season:
20 mpg. 5.5ppg, 5.2 rbg, 1.2 ass, .7 blks. 43%FG, 70% FT, 17% 3pt (5-29)
Oturu's numbers against less competition:
23 mpg. 8.7ppg, 6.8rpg, .3 ass, 1.7blks. 51%FG, 56% FT, no 3pt ers.

Looks like Curry was a better passer, a better free throw shooter, and he thought he was a 3pt shooter--he was not.
Oturu is definitely a better shot blocker, and maybe a slightly better rebounder. He also understands he is not there to take perimeter shots.. an underated skill.

Curry plays a little more like a traditional 4, while Oturu is more of a 5. We definitely could use Curry's 240lbs.

Comparing the two based on freshman numbers is very difficult. Curry was playin behind Lynch his freshman year, and mostly playing the 4. He is two years older, two years stronger, and does have a perimeter shot Oturo does not have - that had improved a ton from freshman year to this fall, as Oturo’s likely will.

Curry will open up the floor a ton in the post because you can’t play behind him and not double down like team’s do Oturo. He will score if they do that, and if they double down that owns up perimeter shots that are not there now. I also think with Oturo-Curry together we won’t see the drop off we see now when Murphy has to leave the floor. I think Oturo has really suffered when Murphy has had to leave floor because his man doesn’t go double Omersa.

Will be fun to see how it plays out.

Was Curry in Vancouver and it appeared he had been working on his upper body!

SCOOP: Not all surgeries are as serious as a reconstruction

Comparing the two based on freshman numbers is very difficult. Curry was playin behind Lynch his freshman year, and mostly playing the 4. He is two years older, two years stronger, and does have a perimeter shot Oturo does not have - that had improved a ton from freshman year to this fall, as Oturo’s likely will.

Curry will open up the floor a ton in the post because you can’t play behind him and not double down like team’s do Oturo. He will score if they do that, and if they double down that owns up perimeter shots that are not there now. I also think with Oturo-Curry together we won’t see the drop off we see now when Murphy has to leave the floor. I think Oturo has really suffered when Murphy has had to leave floor because his man doesn’t go double Omersa.

Will be fun to see how it plays out.

Plus Curry gives us 5 more fouls when the refs start calling everything like they did against BC. We had Murph, Stockman and Oturo all playing with 2 fouls fairly early in the first half and that really changed that game and our ability to be aggressive.

Plus Curry gives us 5 more fouls when the refs start calling everything like they did against BC. We had Murph, Stockman and Oturo all playing with 2 fouls fairly early in the first half and that really changed that game and our ability to be aggressive.

True

SCOOP: Not all surgeries are as serious as a reconstruction

Scoop, he hasn't played in almost 1.5 years. And yes, he had surgery to clean stuff up, but his first surgery was major. I don't expect him to be studly right away and neither should anyone else. Would I welcome it? Heck yeah,
I'd love it. Is he is the most talented player on our front line behind Murphy? Heck yes he is.

That said, I'd guess this season we don't get high production from him. Maybe by the end of the season he is contributing in a big way and hopefully the team is hitting it's stride by then.

Scoop, he hasn't played in almost 1.5 years. And yes, he had surgery to clean stuff up, but his first surgery was major. I don't expect him to be studly right away and neither should anyone else. Would I welcome it? Heck yeah,
I'd love it. Is he is the most talented player on our front line behind Murphy? Heck yes he is.

That said, I'd guess this season we don't get high production from him. Maybe by the end of the season he is contributing in a big way and hopefully the team is hitting it's stride by then.

I was responding to the bolded part where you suggested there is a good chance we don't see him until the end of the season and it would be wishful thinking to think he will be back anytime soon.

I don't expect him to be studly right away and neither should anyone else

I don't expect it, but it wouldn't surprise me either. Grabbing rebounds and playing good D, won't take him long at all.

Top Bottom